Bought my bro a camera

This is a discussion on Bought my bro a camera within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just purchased a little birthday present for my brother. It arrived Friday, and he is trying to get some input ...

Bought my bro a camera

Just purchased a little birthday present for my brother. It arrived Friday, and he is trying to get some input on what he should/needs to get for the camera, and thought you guys would be the best to tell him. Best cards to get, lens filters, and that type of stuff.
    It is a Canon 1D Mark II N
    I also bought him one lens and he would like to hear advice on other lenses. Got him the EF 70-200 2.8
    Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Can I be your bro for a day?
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Yes, I would also like to join your family...
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Sorry for not having any advice...I'm going to be stuck on the "you bought your brother a $3,500 camera and $600 lens for his birthday and called it a little present" idea for at least the next few hours.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

If not for the rest of my life.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    Sorry for not having any advice...I'm going to be stuck on the "you bought your brother a $3,500 camera and $1300 lens for his birthday and called it a little present" idea for at least the next few hours.
    fixed
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

oh yeah, the 2.8 IS. We poor folk have the F4
    -Lindsay Lohan

In all seriousness though...I can't make any good recommendations without knowing what his budget is, or without knowing what he shoots.

Actually most people can't make a great recommendation without knowing this info. Instead, what you'll hear is either:

-what someone already has and has a good experience with
    or
    -what someone would buy if they had the money
    (both based on what they shoot)
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    B+W circular polarizer FTW! Only $160-175 I never leave home without mine.

I'm a big fan of Lexar Professional cards, but haven't had any bad experiences with SanDisk either.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I'm thinking budget isn't that big an issue here.

Oh, and 2.8 IS is more like $1700 - 2000, depending where you shop.

For cards, depending what he wants to shoot, but, knowing you guys are involved in drag racing, check the STICKY section of this forum for the memory card database link or go to www.robgalbraith.com. It lists current CF & SD cards by read/write speed, manufacturer, etc by camera model.

As for lenses, something in a short-to-wide angle zoom (16 - 35 2.8L) a walkin-around lens (28 - 135 4.5 IS) and a 2x teleconverter to get more reach out of the 70 - 200. For fun, the 15 fisheye is nice. Also, for longer stuff, 100 - 400 IS is good and with the 2x you can really get down the track but lose auto focus in all but the brightest day light. Don't forget a 580EX flash.

Hope he enjoys the camera. It's a great starter outfit you got him there.

And, yes, I have all of the above mentioned items and then some twice. So these choices are both personal preference and proven very useful in the field of motorsports, pj, stcik & ball, as well as pics of the grandbaby and cat. Oh, yeah, the STi & LGT, too.

Peace,

Curtis

EF 24-70mm f2.8 L gets my vote. I don't think there is a crop factor on the 1D Mark II N so it should be plenty wide for most situations. May want to go wider though as was previously suggested.

BTW, thats a heck of a gift.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Hey, thanks. That is the kind of info that I needed. I gave him my opinions on it all, but he wanted opinions of someone that actually knew something.
    And he has been right by my side for years and years. You do that the way he has and you can get a birthday like this, and get to drive my car on occasions like he is here.

Too bad the transmission broke, the engine ran to 9600 rpm for a while. But that is what spares are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe
    "And he has been right by my side for years and years. You do that the way he has and you can get a birthday like this."
    This quote reminded me of the movie Godfather. Very cool.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Crop Factors

Quote Originally Posted by Wrx BriT
    EF 24-70mm f2.8 L gets my vote. I don't think there is a crop factor on the 1D Mark II N so it should be plenty wide for most situations. May want to go wider though as was previously suggested.

BTW, thats a heck of a gift.
    Actually, Canon crop factors are as follows:

Crop factor on all Canon EOS 1D pro-series digital SLRs is 1.3; (1D, 1DMkII, 1DMkIIN).
    "Framing is natural because the sensor's 3:2 aspect ratio is the same as in 35mm cameras, and the sensor's large size realizes an effective angle of view that's just 1.3 times the focal length indicated on Canon EF lenses."

1DS pro-series (1DS, 1DSMkII) and 5D utilize a full frame sensor.
    "As with its predecessor, the EOS-1Ds Mark II's sensor is full frame, meaning no focal length conversion factor-lenses will have the same angle of view as they would on a 35mm camera."

The consumer line Canon digi-SLRs have a 1.6 crop factor from their inception to today: D30, D60, all digiRebels, 20D, 30D.
    "APS-C size sensor (22.5 x 15.0mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length."

INFO SOURCE:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=111

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    Actually, Canon crop factors are as follows:

Crop factor on all Canon EOS 1D pro-series digital SLRs is 1.3; (1D, 1DMkII, 1DMkIIN).
    "Framing is natural because the sensor's 3:2 aspect ratio is the same as in 35mm cameras, and the sensor's large size realizes an effective angle of view that's just 1.3 times the focal length indicated on Canon EF lenses."

1DS pro-series (1DS, 1DSMkII) and 5D utilize a full frame sensor.
    "As with its predecessor, the EOS-1Ds Mark II's sensor is full frame, meaning no focal length conversion factor-lenses will have the same angle of view as they would on a 35mm camera."

The consumer line Canon digi-SLRs have a 1.6 crop factor from their inception to today: D30, D60, all digiRebels, 20D, 30D.
    "APS-C size sensor (22.5 x 15.0mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length."

INFO SOURCE:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=111
    ^ ^ ^
    Good info.
    Last edited by Wrx BriT; 07-12-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013