What should be my next lense for the rebel XT
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on What should be my next lense for the rebel XT within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking to see which lense(s) I should be looking for next or an order of which one to ...

What should be my next lense for the rebel XT

I am looking to see which lense(s) I should be looking for next or an order of which one to buy first, second, etc. I do a lot of action photos, but would also want to do some good portrait pictures soon too. Right now I just have the kit lense that comes with it. I also know I would love a good wide view zoom lense.

Two mentioned by others are the 55-200 and the 70-200.

Any thoughts, ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 07-10-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

22mm fisheye.

I'm not a big fan of zoom lenses. I prefer to have a set of fixed focus. I know they're getting better, but you still can't beat them for clarity and no color distortion.

I have a 50mm, 100mm, and a 28mm...I'd love to get a good 400 or 800, but the bank account says "don't hold your breath"
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    22mm fisheye.

I'm not a big fan of zoom lenses. I prefer to have a set of fixed focus. I know they're getting better, but you still can't beat them for clarity and no color distortion.

is " 22mm fisheye "the official name or is there another name that I should use to look it up on 17photo.com or one of the other good photo places?

With the smaller digital mirror thingy, 22 isn't really fisheye. You have to go down to about 17.

I just bought this lens http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=312503
    and so far I'm happy with it.

I also have a 70-300mm and a 70-200mm, but that's the L series and cost way too much (though I'm pleased with it)
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    is " 22mm fisheye "the official name or is there another name that I should use to look it up on 17photo.com or one of the other good photo places?
    a "fisheye" lens is any lens with a wider field field of view. this produces a distorted effect, but encompases view angles more than 180 degrees.

I think any lens wider than 28mm is considered "Fisheye" and yes, that's the name for that class of lenses. you can get MUCH wider than 22mm...I've seen 16mm and even wider.

the picture below was taken in a square room with a 15mm fisheye. you can see all 4 walls, including the walls that are BEHIND the lens. its a VERY cool effect. You get very interesting close-ups too.

go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    With the smaller digital mirror thingy, 22 isn't really fisheye. You have to go down to about 17.

I just bought this lens http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=312503
    and so far I'm happy with it.

I also have a 70-300mm and a 70-200mm, but that's the L series and cost way too much (though I'm pleased with it)
    good point. In most consumer-level digital cameras the photosensitive element is NOT 35mm, so lens angles work differently. My recomendation is for 35mm...

there are a few high end cameras that either have 35mm elements or are somehow corected to behave like 35mm elements, but generally 35mm is a film thing.

I'm still using the wet-and-messy stuff for serious photography.
    go f*** yourself

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I am looking to see which lense(s) I should be looking for next or an order of which one to buy first, second, etc. I do a lot of action photos, but would also want to do some good portrait pictures soon too. Right now I just have the kit lense that comes with it. I also know I would love a good wide view zoom lense.

Two mentioned by others are the 55-200 and the 70-200.

Any thoughts, ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
    What kind of action photos? Motorsports? Outdoor/field sports? Indoor sports?
    What's your budget?
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    What kind of action photos? Motorsports? Outdoor/field sports? Indoor sports?
    What's your budget?
    under $600 per lense. action photos are mostly motorsports -- mostly outdoor stuff outside of motorsports.

oh...for portraits you don't want a fisheye...unless you're trying to create some trippy effects.

still, a fixed focus lens will allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds than a zoom lens, of course then you loose the zoom function.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    a "fisheye" lens is any lens with a wider field field of view. this produces a distorted effect, but encompases view angles more than 180 degrees.

I think any lens wider than 28mm is considered "Fisheye" and yes, that's the name for that class of lenses. you can get MUCH wider than 22mm...I've seen 16mm and even wider.

the picture below was taken in a square room with a 15mm fisheye. you can see all 4 walls, including the walls that are BEHIND the lens. its a VERY cool effect. You get very interesting close-ups too.
    This isn't entirely accurate. Fisheye lenses tend to be at 15mm focal length and wider.

There is SOME level of distortion in all Ultra-wide angle lenses. Not all wide angle lenses are categorized as fisheye. Only the lenses that have not had any distortion correction applied are "fisheye". The lenses that have had that correction are called rectilinear.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

under $600 per lense. action photos are mostly motorsports -- mostly outdoor stuff outside of motorsports.
    for under 600 dollars, I would consider a used Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L.
    Those you can find for sale quite often in the potn forums as well as the fredmiranda forums.

Granted, it's not the fastest lens, but for outdoor sports, it's more than suitable. You can't beat this lens for the price.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    for under 600 dollars, I would consider a used Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L.
    Those you can find for sale quite often in the potn forums as well as the fredmiranda forums.

Granted, it's not the fastest lens, but for outdoor sports, it's more than suitable. You can't beat this lens for the price.

As far as action shots go, I mostly take pictures of bikes/cars at the dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com).

I will take random pictures of the dogs or something, but those are far and few between. Most of my action stuff is cars/bikes at the moment.

When football season comes around, I will be taking pictures at some of the Steelers games that I go to but I will only go to 2 or 3 games.

oh and you could do a lot worse than this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

(sell your car)
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    oh and you could do a lot worse than this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

(sell your car)
    that'sa nicea lensa.
    go f*** yourself

As far as action shots go, I mostly take pictures of bikes/cars at the dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com).

I will take random pictures of the dogs or something, but those are far and few between. Most of my action stuff is cars/bikes at the moment.

When football season comes around, I will be taking pictures at some of the Steelers games that I go to but I will only go to 2 or 3 games.
    The 70-200 would be a great choice for that.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=188562
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast