Which Digital SLR to buy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which Digital SLR to buy within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking into buying a digital SLR here very soon. Here are a couple of the ones I have ...

Which Digital SLR to buy

I am looking into buying a digital SLR here very soon. Here are a couple of the ones I have been considering:

Olympus Evolt E-330 with Live view LCD
    Canon rebel XT
    possibly a canon 20D (a little more than the above mentioned in price)

I have searched through threads and found some info (helped in creating and researching this list) but wanted to get some feedback on the above cameras and maybe some i have not looked at.

I am wanting a camera that takes a great picture, is able to have a quick shutter speed for racing pictures, sports photos, and moving animals, but has a good amount of features. The above cameras offer the things I want in a camera, but not sure how to choose between them.

info/advice, especially from those of you that own any of the above models, is great appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    out of the three you have listed - the 20d hands down. If you can afford the 30d though, get that. If you want to save some money on the body and get another lens, you can't go wrong with the Rebel XT. (don't bother with the canon kit lens)

I wouldn't bother with Olympus. Anyone looking to get a digital SLR I would recommend staying within the realm of Canon or Nikon.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    If you want to save some money on the body and get another lens, you can't go wrong with the Rebel XT. (don't bother with the canon kit lens).
    between the 20d and XT, which is more user friendly since this will be my first digital SLR and will need to last a couple of years before another major upgrade (body upgrade).

if the XT, which lense(s) would be recommended to purchase since you mentioned not bothering with the canon one?

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Canon 20D if u can stretch the $$ if not the rebel xt is a good choice
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I have the 20D, and while I have yet to really test its capabilities, I'm really really happy with it. Go to a store and handle both a Rebel and a 20D. Such a huge difference in quality of build, IMO. I know the rebel is supposed to be lightweight, but it is to the point of feeling flimsy.

Also, the price of the 20D has fallen since the release of the 30D, so look for a bargain somewhere.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    between the 20d and XT, which is more user friendly since this will be my first digital SLR and will need to last a couple of years before another major upgrade (body upgrade).

if the XT, which lense(s) would be recommended to purchase since you mentioned not bothering with the canon one?
    Both the 20D and Rebel XT are user-friendly. The 20D is just beefed up a bit build-quality wise, and has some better features (more to learn).

I didn't recommend against canon lenses, just the KIT lens that comes with the camera (buy just the body only).

As for which lens(es) to get, it all depends on what you will be shooting, what conditions you'll be shooting in, and your budget. There really is no good do-it-all lens.

EDIT:

If you are looking for lens recommendations (for a canon body), here is the best place to start:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=86975
    Last edited by chanwahyaoh; 05-24-2006 at 08:23 AM.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I'm strictly amateur, so I don't spend thousands on lenses like Armin and others who make a living doing this.
    I have a Canon 35-105EF that is extremely versatile for most shapshot type stuff. I also have a Canon 70-200 F4 L (that's my only expensive lens) for the action stuff and Canon 75-300 EF for general zoom stuff. I have another fish eye that was cheap and thus far has been a raging disappointment (not canon) so I won't bother giving details.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I'm very happy with the Rebel XT. The 20D is an upgrade as everyone has mentioned, or you can put the price difference between them into a good lens which is probably more important. If you want some example shots look here. Keep in mind these are drawn from random galleries, across a spectrum of photographer skill and different lens types:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_20d

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_350d

Just keep hitting the more button.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

I got my rebel xt when canon had their triple rebates - so I got triple the rebate amount off of the camera + lens kit, a telephoto lens, and i also bought another slr (non digital) which came with another lense, all for under $1000.

I'm just into taking pictures for hobby as an amature. I am very happy with the camera, and it's price.

I ruled out the olympus because it is grainy in dark environments and high ISO's, and the canon is more versatile when it comes to buying lenses.

the 20d was out of my price range.
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

one recommended the NIKON D50 SLR which is a possibility too. Found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-D50-SLR-45...QQcmdZViewItem

NIKON D50 SLR $4500 EXTREME SHOOTER PACKAGE
    2 GIG CARD 3 LENSES 3 FILTERS & A LOT MORE
    NIKON D50 DIGITAL
    Wide Angle Lens
    High Resolution Lens SIGMA 28-80MM
    High Resolution Lens SIGMA 70-300MM
    Filter Kit
    5 piece cleaning kit
    Tabletop Tripod
    55" Tripod
    2GB SD Memory Card
    Hi-Speed USB Card Reader/Writer
    All Aluminum Hard Case
    Deluxe Camera Bag
    Tube Adapter
    NKD502SL272G
    BTENL3/CH3200/5YRU1/3YRU1

$898 is buy it now pricing. over 15,000 positive feedback comments, 97%+ positive rating, out of florida.

thoughts? should i steer away from ebay for this type of purchase?
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 05-25-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Depends on the seller. Before you buy there look for local camera shops, big name stores with a web presence like B&H, 17th street camera, and alkit.com.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

I would avoid buying a get-it-all kit like that. The accessories all look like they are junk.

I would buy just a body, and find 1 good lens to start off with. Probably a good fast mid-range zoom like a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or sigma 24-70 f/2.8.

Shoot a bit with those as they are pretty good (and inexpensive) walk-around type lenses. From there, figure out if you wish you had more reach, a wider lens, lower light capability, and then make your next lens purchase based on that.

As for the accessories...do a lot of research and buy something good off the bat. It'll save you money in the long run, so you don't wind up buying a POS first, and then replacing it later.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

least expensive for a 30d seems to be about $1200. good, bad?

A 20D, which is the older model- basically a smaller LCD screen - is about $1045 from a reputable dealer. And do buy from a reputable dealer. (I heart B&H Photo)
    -Lindsay Lohan

canon 30d? what?

i have a 20d, and its sick, the price has dropped a lot to within the last year, ive seen kits go for 1100$ with a battery 2 lens and such. i paid around 2000$. you can get a max of 5fps which is good anbd the 8.3 mp is a great quailty.

the new rebel is a big difference from rebels previously made. the new one gets like 3fps?(dont quote me on any of this) and im almost posiitive it puts out 8.2 mp.

theyre both good, and you'll probably be happy with both. isaw a kit on ebay for the 20d with a 100-300mm and a smaller sigma lens and battery for around 1100$.

sometimes your better off not buying a kit though, you can find a body for decently cheap then buy a better canon series lens. the sigma lens' tend to be much slower especially when low on light.

good luck
    Last edited by ted@mb; 05-24-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast