Which Digital SLR to buy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which Digital SLR to buy within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ted@mb canon 30d? what? yeah, I said it. 30D. Came out in April or May. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...anoneos30d.asp...

Quote Originally Posted by ted@mb
    canon 30d? what?
    yeah, I said it. 30D. Came out in April or May.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...anoneos30d.asp
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you change the words just a little, that site would be DP Revue and definitely NWS. Or maybe not. I'm not going to try. I'm at work.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Seth,

Being that I'm a canon shooter, I tend to be biased toward that brand; however, a buddy of mine shot the Houston CART race recently with his Oly 330 and I gotta admit, I was very impressed. For such a compact unit, he got amazingly good, crisp images, especially at the slow shutter speeds he was shooting. His photos are at
    http://www.pbase.com/rob214/houston_gp_5_06&page=all

As for the canon cameras you listed, I would shy away from the rebel in any of its various models offered if you are even remotely hard on equipment. The camera is just not very robust and will not take much physical abuse. Same for the Olympus. The 20D is made from metal and composite construction and would be a much better choice for durability and a long life.

Don't let the fact that you're new to DSLRs deter you fom buying a good quality body now. The learning curve is no steeper than with any SLR and you will be shooting good, quality images in no time at all. Buy the best you can afford to as the resale value of the bodies is not very strong. Which brings me to my mantra: buy used from a good, reputable PROFESSIONAL photographer's site (IE: NOT E-Bay). Pros use their equiopment, but also maintain it. You can buy a helluva lot more camera for a comparable price, something you might not otherwise buy new due to price alone.

Canon 1D pro SLR bodies are going for ~$1k or less and is a tank of a camera, has a larger sensor (1.3 Vs 1.6 conversion factor for all of the consumer-grade cameras), lightning fast auto focus, 45 focus points, etc, etc. Don't let the 4.2 MP fool you. With the larger sensor and larger pixels it rivals the 6- 8 MP cameras which employ smaller sensors. I have printed 24 x 36 posters from my previous 1D that are awesome. If sports or other fast moving subjects are your thing, you won't spend $1k on a better camera.

Check out www.robgalbraith.com and www.sportsshooter.com. I can help you on sportsshhooter as some listings can only be viewed by members when designated by the seller. www.fredmiranda.com is also a very reputable site, sharing membership with the other two sites I listed.

Good luck.

Curtis

new list:

Canon 20D
    Canon 30D
    rebel XT
    Nikon D50

thoughts between these? what is the biggest difference between the 20d and 30d other than the newer model and a little bigger screen? the 20d shows a 5fps, but i have not found fps for the 30d yet..

I am not really hard on cameras at the moment in my opinion but would like something that is made well.

as mentioned before, the camera will be used primarily for capturing animals and vehicles in action but still be able to capture a great still photo such as a sunset, vehicles set up with certain background, and family events...along with trying to keep up with my 3 yr old nephew...

found this pricing on the 30D...any good? http://www.bestpricecameras.com/501564-0-1.html
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 05-25-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    new list:

Canon 20D
    Canon 30D
    rebel XT
    Nikon D50

thoughts between these? what is the biggest difference between the 20d and 30d other than the newer model and a little bigger screen? the 20d shows a 5fps, but i have not found fps for the 30d yet..

I am not really hard on cameras at the moment in my opinion but would like something that is made well.

as mentioned before, the camera will be used primarily for capturing animals and vehicles in action but still be able to capture a great still photo such as a sunset, vehicles set up with certain background, and family events...along with trying to keep up with my 3 yr old nephew...

found this pricing on the 30D...any good? http://www.bestpricecameras.com/501564-0-1.html
    20d and 30d are same except for LCD size, 30D lets you select 3fps or 5fps, and 30D has 1/3 stop ISO ajustments.

dont get the d50 its a toy. if your shooting sports you want the 20d or 30D. Also with sunsets the the canons wont get sunflare. Nikon seems to have a problem with sunflair. Not sure about the newer ones.this is with a D70s

dont buy from that site, they will rip you off

If you can wait till the end of the summer, I heard a rumor that Canon might be coming out with something that is better than the 20D. Canon should coming out w/ a bunch of new cameras soon with thier 18 month cycle thingy.

If not, I'd just get a 20D or if you can swing the costs, 30D. A good walk around lens for the 20/30D is something like the ef-s 17-85 or the older EF 28-135IS.

~myke
    Last edited by mykedude; 05-25-2006 at 09:21 PM.
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    20d and 30d are same except for LCD size, 30D lets you select 3fps or 5fps, and 30D has 1/3 stop ISO ajustments.

dont get the d50 its a toy. if your shooting sports you want the 20d or 30D. Also with sunsets the the canons wont get sunflare. Nikon seems to have a problem with sunflair. Not sure about the newer ones.this is with a D70s

dont buy from that site, they will rip you off
    was the price in my previous post any good? 3gb card, camera and lense for about $1200?

Do not under any circumstances go to best price camera. They have the "best price" on the body, but take out the charger, battery, strap, cords, strap, and everything else that normally comes with the camera so it costs way more. I'm not even sure manufacturers honor warranties when those scammers sell you a camera. Said it before I'll say it again, B&H Photo is the best, hands down. Decent prices, everything is in stock, no scams, great customer service. It costs too much money and is too important a purchase to mess around with crappy sellers (you should know this, as you sell expensive things ).
    -Lindsay Lohan

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    A nice article on using the Rebel XT for motorsport:
    http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...0104edp_speed/

we buy our Canon and Nikon gear from:
    http://www.17photo.com/

and
    B&H Photo
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...dren&Q=&ci=989
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

depends on the intedned uses. go with the 20d, 30d (from the reviews are pretty close in performance) or the d200 from Nikon if you can afford it. if you are on a limited budget, then the XT or a D70s whould work well, but i would spend the $$$ on quality lenses.

one thing i noticed is canon has updated bodies come out it seems every year, 20d came out last year, and now they have the 30d, which a reviewer said that it's not worth the $ to upgrade from teh 20d

also looke at used bodies. people that always neave to have the latest/greatest, usually sell their equipment for a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    one thing i noticed is canon has updated bodies come out it seems every year, 20d came out last year, and now they have the 30d, which a reviewer said that it's not worth the $ to upgrade from teh 20d
    Basically, you're paying for a larger LCD screen, but since you can't use it to compose anyway, there's absolutely no point wasting money on a larger screen.
    -Lindsay Lohan

does this stuff make the 30D worth the extra $$ over the 20D?

"20d and 30d are same except for LCD size, 30D lets you select 3fps or 5fps, and 30D has 1/3 stop ISO ajustments"

does this stuff make the 30D worth the extra $$ over the 20D?
    Do you know what the price difference is? I have a 20D and it's more camera than I need. It's amazing.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    Do you know what the price difference is? I have a 20D and it's more camera than I need. It's amazing.
    $200-300 from what I have seen.

$200-300 from what I have seen.
    I say not worth it. However, other people would say buy the most camera you can get if you ever plan on selling it. Depreciation is similar to comptuers. In a few years, they're worthless.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast