Portrait tips request
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Portrait tips request within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Brushing up on whatever portait info I can find on the web, but it won't hurt to ask here. Tomorrow ...

Portrait tips request

Brushing up on whatever portait info I can find on the web, but it won't hurt to ask here.
    Tomorrow I am shooting a group of prom students. It will be daylight, outdoors. My eq is the digital rebel xt, the efs 17-55mm, I have in my hands a circular polarizer as my only filter option. Will have to locate my tripod.
    Any tips on shooting portraits? Tech specs and artistic ideas.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    More than anything - make sure the eyes are in focus. Use the long end of your lens as well. Wide is not flattering for portraiture.

If you are shooting outdoors - use a fill flash and/or maybe even a reflector if you have one or can get one.. This will soften any harsh shadows on their faces and give their eyes a nice little catch light.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I have some advice

Post pics here if any of them are hotties.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

don't shoot in the middle of the day, unless its over cast. use the 55mm. use something above F 8 so it comes out sharper. Group Portraits work well with good symmetry. odd groups look best with taller people in the middle and shorter on the side. Layering the people looks nice. they don't have to be standing in a huge group have some close to you and some farther away.

Sorry I can't give any advice, I'm still trying to figure out how to use my Nikon Coolpics :

That's an awesome picture though, is there a higher res version anywhere?
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.