A little critiquing please...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A little critiquing please... within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright, I promise, I have been reading all the tutorials I can and been trying to experiment, but I would ...

A little critiquing please...

Alright, I promise, I have been reading all the tutorials I can and been trying to experiment,
    but I would love some constructive criticism on the pictures I took, rather than just reading about what a picture should look like. These are 5 pictures I took today. Some indoors with a good amount of ambient light (creeping in through the blinds), some outdoors which were done around 5:30 p.m., but still very light outside, and then a couple indoors with just my standard flash and a low light lamp in the room (plus the light off of my big screen). I think they look pretty good with the exception of some blurriness in some of them, but I am coming from a 3.2 mp point and shoot, so I need some help from the experts.

And yes, that is my 2 dogs taking a crap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

focus!!!!
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I know I should have focused better on the one with my brown dog standing on the couch, but what about the last one? Should I expect her entire head to be in focus? Right now, you can tell it is focused pretty sharp on her left eye, but her nose is blurry. So far, I've pretty much just used the full auto mode, still tinkering around with the manual modes. Hopefully I'm ready for some pictures of the Mavericks game tomorrow night! Go MAVS!

turn your flash off and use a longer lens

Photo #1. Not close enough to the dog, plastic bag of crap in background is a distracting element and ruins the shot. Try to exclude items that are not part of what you want to capture.

I like that second photo. You made a short dog look pretty damn tall.

3rd, well, you know.

4th. Light on the building is too bright, foreground too dark, not an interesting position from which to shoot that structure, nothing in the way of interesting subject matter. Flat and discordant.

Last photo is good, it's just difficult to avoid reflection in the eyes.

And yes, focus. Also, don't place everything in the middle of the frame.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

One thing I learned from the morguefile.com online class is to get rid of the distractions. As mentioned earlier in the first pic, the plastic bag is a distraction. In the second pic the remote etc.

I'm not photographer (working on it, though), but that's what I see. I like the last pic. I think the focused eyes and blurred nose work well. Its kind of like you're looking into the the soul of the dog ("Eyes are the windows to the soul" - not sure who said it, but have heard it before). Gives a little more personality rather than a furry four legged animal. Not sure if that was the intention, but that's what I got.

Take a scroll through the morguefile.com online class (it's free). It's pretty good and gives some good explanations with examples. I think it's helped my photography quite a bit. I haven't posted any here in the forums yet, but I got a new camera (well, new to me, Canon Digital Rebel, not XT) and am planning on spending some time taking pics.

Joel
    Street-2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
    Snow-04 Nitro Voltage 158/06 Burton Custom Bindings/04 Vans Fargo Boots
    Photo-Canon 20d and some lenses
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.