Just made a purchase!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just made a purchase!!! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well...I decided to treat myself to something nice. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT! Its pretty sweet, especially ...

Just made a purchase!!!

Well...I decided to treat myself to something nice. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT! Its pretty sweet, especially coming from a 2 year old, 3.2 mp Cybershot (which has actually been pretty good). I'm not a huge photographer, but I wanted to be able to take some pretty nice pictures, and really wanted something that would take good shots at my brother's basketball games (he plays at Texas Tech). I'm pretty pleased so far. I have a trip to Europe coming up, so I'm working feverishly to learn how to take some really good pictures and all the little intricacies that it has. Don't worry, I'll do some searching, but any quick tips would also be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    Yeah, I have been checking that out for some time, trying to get familiar. I'm trying to pack years of experience in to 1 week (which is impossible I know). I snapped a few pictures of my dogs that look pretty good to me. I'm hoping to learn how to use the manual setting modes to take some pictures with some awesome effects.

Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200
    Yeah, I have been checking that out for some time, trying to get familiar. I'm trying to pack years of experience in to 1 week (which is impossible I know). I snapped a few pictures of my dogs that look pretty good to me. I'm hoping to learn how to use the manual setting modes to take some pictures with some awesome effects.

go to pbase.org or .com or something, flip through the popular galleries and look at as many good photos as you can, and think about them.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

Great...thanks for the info!

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I'm trying to pack years of experience in to 1 week (which is impossible I know).
    You pretty much summed everything up right there. There is a lot more to photography than spending some cash on a camera. You're not going to learn enough just from reading some posts and asking some guys on a car forum. If I were you, I would take some classes and buy some books.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Well...I decided to treat myself to something nice. I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT! Its pretty sweet, especially coming from a 2 year old, 3.2 mp Cybershot (which has actually been pretty good). I'm not a huge photographer, but I wanted to be able to take some pretty nice pictures, and really wanted something that would take good shots at my brother's basketball games (he plays at Texas Tech). I'm pretty pleased so far. I have a trip to Europe coming up, so I'm working feverishly to learn how to take some really good pictures and all the little intricacies that it has. Don't worry, I'll do some searching, but any quick tips would also be greatly appreciated!
    You have made TEH best purchase!!!

Even though the learning curve for XT is quite steep as far as manual mode goes still as long as you leave it in auto it'll never dissapoint you. And RAW kicks some major arse when it comes to post processing.

What I suggest is getting an additional memory card (at least 1GB) and a nice bag along with an extra battery. You can get a nice deal from BestBuy for a kicka$$ Canon bag with extra battery for ~$90, well worth it.

Post some pics and check out my gallery for some XT shots, too!
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy
    You have made TEH best purchase!!!

Even though the learning curve for XT is quite steep as far as manual mode goes still as long as you leave it in auto it'll never dissapoint you. And RAW kicks some major arse when it comes to post processing.

What I suggest is getting an additional memory card (at least 1GB) and a nice bag along with an extra battery. You can get a nice deal from BestBuy for a kicka$$ Canon bag with extra battery for ~$90, well worth it.

Post some pics and check out my gallery for some XT shots, too!
    I went one better, I got an Extreme III 2 GB card, holds quite a few pictures. I got a small bag right now, but I am also going to get that larger bag that comes with that extra battery too. I have been pleased with the auto mode so far, I can't wait until I get to spend a lot of time playing around with the manual modes. I am fully aware that there is more to photography than just the camera, so by no means am I expecting this camera to turn me into a professional, but it has already made a difference, I'm just hoping to make it as far along that learning curve as possible before I go to Europe (I leave Wednesday).

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Even though the learning curve for XT is quite steep as far as manual mode goes still as long as you leave it in auto it'll never dissapoint you.
    I don't agree with that statement at all. If you're just going to leave a Digital SLR in auto mode all the time, then there really was no point in buying one in the first place. As chanwahyaoh said, take the time to read tutorials, books, or attend classes to know how to use your camera to the fullest. Even reading the tutorial stickies on this forum will make you realize that the learning curve really isn't that steep, at least when it comes to knowing functionality. Good, creative composition and using light correctly is usually something books or tutorials can't teach you. You just have to go out and try it.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    I don't agree with that statement at all. If you're just going to leave a Digital SLR in auto mode all the time, then there really was no point in buying one in the first place. As chanwahyaoh said, take the time to read tutorials, books, or attend classes to know how to use your camera to the fullest. Even reading the tutorial stickies on this forum will make you realize that the learning curve really isn't that steep, at least when it comes to knowing functionality. Good, creative composition and using light correctly is usually something books or tutorials can't teach you. You just have to go out and try it.
    I admire your work and your skills so I understand where you are coming from but what I meant was that UNTIL one gets to master manual mode full auto is quite good.and allows to capture shots which could have been missed by a badly setup manual mode

And yes I second your advise: practice, practice, practice!
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I admire your work and your skills so I understand where you are coming from but what I meant was that UNTIL one gets to master manual mode full auto is quite good.and allows to capture shots which could have been missed by a badly setup manual mode

And yes I second your advise: practice, practice, practice!
    I suppose if you just need to get the shot, then yeah auto mode works...but like you said, that's why you gotta practice practice practice
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

dont use auto. put it in manual and leave it. go out and experiment. Its not hard the camera has a light meter in it anyways so aslong as you ajust the shutter speed so its in the middle the picture will come out fine. Try metering off white black and middle grey objects. White and black will fool the meter. White makes it under expose about 2 stops and black over exposes 2 stops so ajust the light meter for it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.