Who has lenses for digital rebel?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Who has lenses for digital rebel? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What do you have? How do they compare to the stock crap lens? Any cost effective choices?...

Who has lenses for digital rebel?

What do you have? How do they compare to the stock crap lens? Any cost effective choices?
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    What do you shoot, and what's your budget?
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Everything and anything, especially important to me would be travel shots. Figure between $200 - $500. Something with multiple talents and clear shots. Or, barring that, a couple lenses capable of wide angle, midrange, and distance.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    "

So far, I've upgraded my stock canon lens to the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. Purpose for it is basically just my walk-around lens. There's plenty of reviews along with sample pics all over the internet for it. It's actually being shipped to me today so maybe I can post my own sample pics later on this week.

The Tammy is an excellent lens. But it may not go wide enough for you to shoot landscapes. You'll never be able to find a do-it-all lens really.

The Sigma 17-70 has a nice useable focal range and is in your price range:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
    People on the Canon Digital Photography Forums seem to review this lens favorably.

It may not have constant max aperature throughout the zoom range, but you get what you pay for.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I'd like to get some nice lenses eventually. The ISM lenses look nice, but I'm not dropping that kind of money on glass now. I'll check out some samples.

Is it just me or does the kit lens really suck? I'm lucky enough to have the kit lens that came with my beloved but hopelessly buggy elan II. Still cheap, but I think it's better.
    "

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    My friend has a Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 on his 20D that he likes quite a bit. The only problem is vignetting at the full wide end, but you can fix that in Photoshop for the most part.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Tamron 18 - 200 XR Di II if you're on a tight budget; ~$500 at my local camera shop. Low light capabilities are nill (3.5/6.3). http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/18200_diII.asp

You also have to consider your sensor size (D-Reb = 1.6 conversion) so the wider you go the more wide angle effect you'll get. 28mm on the short end will net you only 44.8, while 18mm will see 28.8. Just something to think about.

28mm is no longer a wide angle lens with the advent of (most) digital SLR cameras. You'll either pay big bucks for wider & faster glass or for bodies with lower conversion rates (1.3 or full frame). That gotcha coming & going. Pick your poison.

One last note: buy used from reputable on-line PROFESSIONAL photographer communities; IE: not ebay. Lenses hold their value and are a good invenstment, unlike camera bodies which are replaced every 18 - 24 months, at best.

Peace,

Curtis

FWIW----

Canons digital rebel will work with ANY standard canon SLR lenses, even old school AE series lenses. You can probably find some nice used lenses on ebay or places like that.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    here check these out :
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/lens...dard_zoom.html

at the bottom left to can even select type of lens to check out and narrow your specific requirements

and for canon or other brands check here http://www.17photo.com/subcategory.asp?scatid=37 info & prices , we buy a lot of canon & nikon gear from them and never had any issues.

Sigma Lenses Info etc:
    http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Sigma-lenses.htm

also from Canon USA site: EF Lens
    The EOS Digital Rebel XT is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses and including Canon's new EF-S series Lenses, manufactured specifically for the Digital Rebel series and the EOS 20D. The EF lineup employs advanced optical know-how to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Rebel XT users will find the all-new EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens a perfect match for their new camera. It offers a 35mm equivalent of a 27-136mm zoom range and includes Canon's Image Stabilizer (which adds an equivalent of 3 stops) and a full time manual focus mechanism, all in a compact, robust construction.
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-16-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

thanks guys, great info and links

i found this also

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_28135_35

gotta love pbase
    "

The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM seems to take some nice shots.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM seems to take some nice shots.
    It sure does. They're pretty hard to find right now and will cost you about 35 tanks of gas interestingly enough.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    It sure does. They're pretty hard to find right now and will cost you about 35 tanks of gas interestingly enough.

Our Low Price: $1,129.00
    SKU: 2512A002
    Availability: Backordered

*choke*
    "

Hmm. I think I'm going to sell my Canon EF 24-85 F3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens -67mm and buy the Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM SLR Lens -72mm, then start looking at these prime lenses. I always seem to be shooting in low light, that might help.

haha, B&H just offered me $100 for the lens used, in mint condition. They sell them new for over $300.
    Last edited by cyrilgrey; 05-17-2006 at 08:25 AM.
    "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.