Nikon D70s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Nikon D70s within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, I think I'm about to enter the prosumer camera world. My wife and I are travelling to Italy in ...

I Support ClubWRX

Nikon D70s

Okay, I think I'm about to enter the prosumer camera world. My wife and I are travelling to Italy in the fall, and she agreed (actually it was her idea) that we should get a digital SLR to take some decent pics while we're there. I currently have a Sony DSC-V1. It works, but the lens is limiting, and the manual functionality doesn't really work to my liking.

I've read around, and the two popular prospects in the ~1000 seem to be the Rebel XT and the D70s. I'm pretty much sold on the D70; the ergonomics of the thing plus the halfway decent lens that comes with the kit seem like a plus to me.

Before I go nuts and buy the thing, does anyone have any reason why I SHOULDN'T buy that camera?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    before you buy it, check to make sure it has a catless uppipe.

Although I'm a Canon guy...I totally respect Nikon. They have some great optics.

AFAIK, You shouldn't have any regrets about buying a D70.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    before you buy it, check to make sure it has a catless uppipe.
    Although I'm a Canon guy...I totally respect Nikon. They have some great optics.
    AFAIK, You shouldn't have any regrets about buying a D70.
    Yeah, people in reviews rave on and on about the high quality images that the Rebel XT puts out. I don't think I could go wrong at all with that camera, either. The battery life in the D70 seems to be a bit better, and I like the way the camera fills up my hand. Also, it supposedly will take more continuous frames than the XT; with kids doing activities that could be a neat plus.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    go to http://sterlingtek.com/nikdigcambat.html

You'll never have to worry about battery life again.

Spare batteries there are a fraction of the cost of OEM, and last longer too.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I Support ClubWRX
    Great link...thanks!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ergonomics are a big deal for me, and the Rebel XT is simply way too small for my piano-trained hands. I can't get my ring and pinky finger on it, and after only a few minutes of use, my hand was already starting to cramp up. That's just my personal experience though.

You can't go wrong with the D70s. It's only minorly improved over my venerable D70, and you know what kind of pics that took The 18-70mm kit lens it comes with lasted me well for a full year, so you're in good shape there too. The battery lasts FOREVER...you can easily take close to 1500 shots in RAW before the battery is totally drained, but of course it's always smart to have a backup just in case.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 05-10-2006 at 12:22 PM.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the details. I was hoping you'd chime in, Armin.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Nice choice. I was in the same situation as you were a while ago and was happy that I went with Nikon. The XT is nice, but it was way too small for my hands. The Nikon had more of the features I was looking for. The S wasn't out, but I haven't regretted it one bit. I love that damn cam. If only I had enough to buy the lenses I want.
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

i have used both. the canon will take much better pics. esp with the pop up flash. the canon has a much better color accuracy, and quality on high ISO will also be better. You can get a 20D body brand new for 1000 or used for a bit cheaper.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    i have used both. the canon will take much better pics. esp with the pop up flash. the canon has a much better color accuracy, and quality on high ISO will also be better.
    Interesting. Due to differences in processing within the camera?

I've heard a few people talk about better images from Canon, but all of the ergonomic/kit lens/function set votes seem to go to the Nikon. (just paraphrasing from reviews, not my own experience.)
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Everyone's opinion is different...it's the classic Canon vs. Nikon argument. I'll still side on the Nikon side for the ergonomics alone...the 20D doesn't fit me well either without the vertical grip, and I don't like how the wheel is used to select focus points. No doubt the 20D will take awesome pictures...you can't go wrong either way as far as I'm concerned. The high-ISO noise on the 20D is indeed better than the D70s, that's definitely for sure.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Yes, the old Nikon vs. Canon debate.

I was debating between the Nikon d70s and the 20d/30d. I have used Canon's for most of my life so I am used to the Canon button layout etc. Now that the 30d came out, the 20d dropped in price to around the d70s' price. I think I am going with the 20d because of cost factor and because I am used to the button layout.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    E..the 20D doesn't fit me well either without the vertical grip, and I don't like how the wheel is used to select focus points.

you can pic the focus point with the joystick thing on the back to move around zoom in pics. canon produces better colors. esp red. could be becuase canon has a better anti infrared filter in it. thats why nikons are super good for infarad and canons are not.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    you can pic the focus point with the joystick thing on the back to move around zoom in pics. canon produces better colors. esp red. could be becuase canon has a better anti infrared filter in it. thats why nikons are super good for infarad and canons are not.
    I didn't even realize there was a joystick thing on the back I need to borrow someone's with a grip and play around a little more

You'll be happy with either one. I bought my digital rebel right before the XT came out. I've shot a lot of stuff (landscape, wedding, etc) and the pictures are good with the kit lens, awesome with L glass. But L glass lenses are expensive. If you're only going to have the kit lens for now, I think I'd have to side with the Nikon purchase for that reason alone.

My camera was used at my friend's wedding (I was in the wedding so I wasn't shooting the pics) and the shots from my camera were better than those from the wedding photo guy (who was using a D70). However, the reason I say that is he had a flash on it which made everyone look pasty white and blown out a little bit (it was an outdoor wedding on a sunny day, no need for the flash).

So, it really all comes down to who's using the rig and how well they know how to use it. Go with which ever feels the best and is in your price range for the type of lenses you'll want and get it and learn how to use it. Also, know when buying it that it'll be 'out of date' 6 months to a year from now and don't have any regrets about your purchase.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast