Copyright tips.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Copyright tips. within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I explained to Verdugo a couple days ago that I've been doing freelance photography for a few years, now. Recently, ...

Copyright tips.

I explained to Verdugo a couple days ago that I've been doing freelance photography for a few years, now. Recently, though, I've been getting requests from bigger clients, and I'm starting to worry more about protecting my copyright. I understand a little, but I thought we might be able to put together a decent thread with tips for protecting copyright.

Here's what I understand:

Implied Copyright states that the creator of a work maintins the copyright of that work from the date of creation. However it does not allow the artist to seek monetary damages if a company uses your images without your permission.

It's always a good idea to have your client sign a contract. But, for those of you that are pro, do you (the artist) maintain ownership of the copyright, and allow the client to lisence the image, or does copyright transfer to the client?

Any other tips and questions would be awesome!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As an assistant manager for a major drug store chain with a 1 hour photo service, I think I can help assist you with some copyright questions since we do not print copyright protected pictures and are trained to look for them in developing.

-The life of the copyright is owned by the photographer for the life of the photographer + 50 years.
    -If a company uses your photograph without your permission, that is a copyright violation. Only way to punish a corporation under the law is with monetary damages. Penalties I believe are around the $100k.
    -Although some pictures might not state "copyrighted" on the back of the photo, the copyright still exists. It usually can be identified by the quality of the picture. It is usually best practice to get any agreement in writing. Your image should be able to be leased or sold to anybody with any stipulations that is agreed upon within a written contract. Its your picture, you can do what you want with it.
    -If the client has the negatives, it is almost always implied that they own the photos.

Most customers that I see that try reprint copyrighted prints usually purchase them from the studio or photographer. They pay for the prints and nothing else. As owner of the copyright you may charge more for additional prints since you own the image. If I am going to make any reprints at my store I require written permission from the studio or photographer for the reprints.

There should be a lot more info on this site: http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=16
    I know I learned a few of my lessons from them.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html
    This actually is more direct and to the point.

You've also gotta keep in mind, though, that you can only go for monetary damages if the image has been registered w/ the Copyright office. Otherwise, the photographer may take legal action to stop unauthorized use of his images. Only thing is that legal action costs moolah, and w/o monetary compensation, in the end, it's often just not worth it.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

...but, applying for copyright protection is cheap.

Do a search on www.sportsshooter.com where this has been discussed, in depth, several times. Search on copyright, copyright laws, copyright protection, etc.

Peace,

Curtis

if you work for a newspaper and shoot with their gear, they own alll your photos

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.