New Road Race Photos

This is a discussion on New Road Race Photos within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If anyone is interested I've uploaded a new set of pics from our local road racing series most recent event; ...

New Road Race Photos

If anyone is interested I've uploaded a new set of pics from our local road racing series most recent event; the Grand Bayou Road Race Series March 25th event at No Problem Raceway. Unfortunately, our sole Subaru in the series has been sidelined as the driver relocated to Memphis following Hurrican Katrina. If things go right, I may have to put the camera down to campaign the subie. Time will tell.

Our road race series has an interesting Bracket class, where you can run just about anything based on a dial-in, just like drag racing. It involves a pretty diverse group of cars on the track at the same time. They also run dedicated classes; IE: Formula, GT, Vintage V-8, etc.

Anywho, if you want to take a look, photos are here:

http://www.pbase.com/cvbjr/gbrrs_32506_all&page=all

I'm working on our NHRA Spring Nationals race photos from last weekend. I'll post a link when they're uploaded.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed. For me, photography is a continually learning process and I'm always looking for ways to improve. And since I'm not a big fan of editing/correcting images on the computer, I try to get the results I want in the camera. Guess I'm just lazy in that way. Or maybe it's because I spend 40 hours a week in front of a PC at work and would rather shoot than edit photos.

Peace,

Curtis

SAMPLES:

More photos @ http://www.pbase.com/cvbjr/gbrrs_32506_all&page=all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good... I think the only critique I have is that they seem a little underexposed and lack some saturation/contrast. Otherwise, good stuff
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Looking good... I think the only critique I have is that they seem a little underexposed and lack some saturation/contrast. Otherwise, good stuff
    Armin,

Thanks for taking the time to give me a critique. I really appreciate it and agree with your comments. I've always tended to underexpose by a stop or so, even back in my film days. I need to get better at using the histogram. On my camera, as compared to my son's (both Mk2's), the LCD does not seem to be very accurate. I guess I need to stop chimping and shoot at settings that I know will work. I wind up adjusting the ap setting way too often as I have some specific shutter speeds that I prefer for shooting action, generally between 1/200th & 1/30th of a second. At times it's necessary for me to adjust the ap to attain a good expsoure due to panning across varying light, especially when I shoot drag races. I have tried shooting in the automated programs (Tv/Av or Program mode) but still prefer to shoot in fully manual. Old habits die hard. ;-) My son tends to overexpose by a stop or so and I like the look of his shots, which are generally brighter. It's just when you get too far overexposed, there's not a lot you can do to recover if there's no data to work with, hence, the tendency to underexpose.

As for the contrast/saturation, I need to spend a little time to set up the camera's internal settings to correct this. Unfortunately, I never think about this until after I shoot the pics. I did set up three selectable settings, but failed to write them down. Changing on the fly would be a crap shoot. Again, it's one of those things I don't think about correcting until after the fact. Guess it's time to figure out what I have because I really hate editing images. Generally, the images I post are straight from the camera, except for an occassional crop.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Peace,

Curtis

PS: I have some night shots from Friday night qualifying at the Spring Nationals in Houston that need some noise reduction applied. I have Noise Ninja, but haven't used it much (big suprise, I know). If you have any hints, aside from their instructions, I'd appreciate it. thanks, cb.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I hear ya man...good to know you recognize it too and it's not just my eyes

As far as Noise Ninja goes, there's not much really to it. Just make sure you download your camera's profile and set it up to use that all the time...I just use Noise Ninja's default settings and the results are still great.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

The guy waving in the third pic made me laugh, for some reason. Good looking shots, as usual!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion