An Old Man Buys a WRX...And He Likes It!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on An Old Man Buys a WRX...And He Likes It! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi there all you young bucks! It's a not-so-new guy on the block. Well, I was at the Subaru dealer ...

An Old Man Buys a WRX...And He Likes It!

Hi there all you young bucks! It's a not-so-new guy on the block.

Well, I was at the Subaru dealer ordering my wife a new Crosstrek Limited using my supplier pricing deal thru my employer. We finished the order process and I was eyeing a WRX (WR Blue) and a STI (DGM). After taking each of them for a test drive, I felt the WRX was the better real world driver for me. However I really liked the car in the dark metallic grey. The dealer found me a WRX Premium in my color, with STI shifter, euro splash guards, body sides that I liked. We made a deal at $29,200 (plus tax & tags) with them adding the STI front spoiler.

The dealer was super great to work with...no games what so ever!

So now I'm interested in some simple non-warranty restricting upgrades.
    I did start by upgrading the plastic shifter & park brake boots with real leather. (Thanks Red Line)

While I had the boots off, I did add the Perrin shifter stop.

I have desires for some more subtle upgrades like the JDM armrest and upholstered gauge hood to finish out the interior.
    Then maybe some exhaust and intake tweaks. Nothing to void warranties though. So tell me what works!

gmorphan
    2016 WRX
    1999 M Roadster
    1988 Fiero GT (ordered new)
    1969 Corvair street Stinger

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to clubwrx!!! Nice wrx you got there, old man!!!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    2012 WRB STi Limited Sedan
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Retired and traded.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...sti-build.html <---- My STi build thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----My WRX build thread

So first, congrats! next, what's "old" to you?
    1971 here, and enjoying every second with the WRX i picked up on Jan '16.

Quote Originally Posted by dorsodurojohn View Post
    what's "old" to you? 1971 here, and enjoying every second with the WRX i picked up on Jan '16.
    I got a decade on you John. But for me, never having any kids has allowed me to bypass the mature part of getting old.

Administrator ...De Rerum Natura TheJ's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club!

We have a few "seasoned" folks here so no worries.
    -The J 𒂼𒄄
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Saturday morning Craigslist SCORE!!! I've been watching this STI exhaust on Craigslist for a while. The ad was kind a misleading and the asking price was $850 so when the seller dropped it to $650 this week, I had to made contact. Turns out it is the STI system listed in the WRX accessory pamphlet. There are 2 systems (WRX & STI), the only difference is the resonator put inline on the system meant for actual STI's (WRX is a straight mid pipe).

Seller was motivated, having had it on their '15 STI for 2 months before trading it in a few months back.
    And while I'd probably never cough up the $1,000 Subaru wants for this system, I did manage to get it for $400.
    This is the actual STI version w/resonator, but I see no harm in installing it on my WRX.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds. At this price...it sounds great already!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats!

The exhaust should bolt up just fine. I have an STI catback on mine, however I got it to add a resonator since replacing the J-Pipe removed the stock WRX resonator. The sound was just short of awful running resonator-less with stock mufflers... but it sounds perfect now.
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB - Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome to Club! We have a few "seasoned" folks here so no worries.

Thanks! But not only am I way older than most here, I have an eclectic taste in automobiles.
    I have most of the bases covered...
    Front engine/rear drive, mid-engine/rear drive, rear engine/rear drive and now front engine/all wheel drive.

Just not interested in front wheel drive. though my wife did have a Mini for 3 years that was fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -The J 𒂼𒄄
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by strudinox View Post
    Welcome and congrats!

The exhaust should bolt up just fine. I have an STI catback on mine, however I got it to add a resonator since replacing the J-Pipe removed the stock WRX resonator. The sound was just short of awful running resonator-less with stock mufflers... but it sounds perfect now.
    SUPER info! So you J-pipe eliminated the small block resonator?
    I wonder how restrictive that resonator is, considering how much difference it makes in exhaust sound?
    I also wonder if the stock STI has that same block resonator in the J-pipe?

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey, kiddo!

It's all perspective. Both of my younger brothers are older than you, and we're each four year apart. I too have subscribed to "never grow up." I blame Mary Martin.

I think Joe and I are a couple of the oldest regular active members here, but we have occasional posters with a decade or so on us, too. There are a lot of active posters in their 40s and 50s. I was 48 when I bought my WRX, and kept it 13 years.

Welcome to the Club!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    Explore the USA
    2016 Toyota 4Runner__2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd (sold) __2002 WRX Wagon (sold) __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ and a few scooters...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorphanAt View Post
    SUPER info! So you J-pipe eliminated the small block resonator?
    I wonder how restrictive that resonator is, considering how much difference it makes in exhaust sound?
    I also wonder if the stock STI has that same block resonator in the J-pipe?
    Yep, the small block resonator was located at the very tail end of the intermediate pipe just before the catback flange. It doesn't appear to be very restrictive at all, but it sure is effective. It looks like more of a pass-through design from what I can tell. I snapped a pic real quick for you since it's just sitting in the garage (sorry, crappy cell phone quality):

...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB - Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -The J 𒂼𒄄

Ain't wasting no time to swap out this exhaust. I need to do it before the wife gets home.
    I do like the engineering of it (nicer bends & joints) with the dual in & out mufflers with twin wall SS tips.

1/8" bigger intermediate pipe too! I likey...
    Can't beat factory stuff for quality & fit.

Buttoned the whole swap in about 45 minutes. Everything fit great and looks good.

The sound is slightly deeper tone than stock. No annoying resonance at any RPM range.
    It's the perfect subtle factory change from stock for a "seasoned" car guy.

Next on the hunt...what intake changes can be made that don't sacrifice driveability or require a tune?
    Looking at the Mishimoto cold air box. Hmm...what are the odds, there's one NIB on Craigslist.
    I think most CAI's are junk, but the Mishimoto looks like it does a good job of grabbing isolated cool air.
    Does anyone know if there's any benefit to these without a tune? How about drawbacks?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.