KRISK's Rockin 2013 WRX Torqued Performance Tuned Daily Driver - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on KRISK's Rockin 2013 WRX Torqued Performance Tuned Daily Driver within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wow this post is great . Tons of information . I also have a tsudo catless dp.. How do you ...

Wow this post is
    great . Tons of information . I also have a tsudo catless dp.. How do you like it ? What type of exhaust would you suggest to get ? I was
    thinking of getting one at some point this year . I have to save .

I am running a stage 2 Map. As of now I only have a Cobb intake n Dp. I was looking into lowering with eibach springs .

I am waiting for spring time so I can really clean my car . It is one huge salt mess. I clean it by hand but I need it detailed n the underneath done real bad

I am looking for a good product to clean my tires with . They are super dull. any suggestions.?
    Chemical guys is having a sale so I mite pick up some little things just to hold me over until winter is over 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can you direct me to where I can figure out how to make a dyno like you did with my AP, or using my current datalogs ?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Great right up man, Im pretty much following everything you have done!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

I'm still running the stock exhaust, maybe I'll get another exhaust at some point as well. But I think some other mods would be better at this point, maybe injectors, swaybars, better brake pads?

In the pacific northwest it's really rare to get snow and the roads don't get salted. So I don't know too much to advice on how to keep a car clean and get rid of the salt.

Your lucky . I'm just hoping for spring and a garage lol

I want to mod my car more, I'm just not sure which direction I want to go in .

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Can you direct me to where I can figure out how to make a dyno like you did with my AP, or using my current datalogs ?
    Read this links they should help in a few ways..

Basically you..
    * Start a log with RPM, SPEED, THROTTLE, BOOST, (AFR if you have wideband)
    * Do the WOT pull on a flat road 2k-> Redline
    * STI use 4th gear, WRX 3rd gear
    * Save the log file to your computer
    * Remove all the data accept the WOT pull (throttle == 100%) from the csv (leave the column headers)
    * Open csv in Virtual Dyno and set the car's weight, temp, etc..

I used a custom value in Virtual Dyno (.98) since it seems to match the EFI Dyno database results for a stock WRX

How to Data Log With AccessPORT 2.0 | eHow
    How to use Virtual Dyno Properly - evolutionm.net
    xluben's Virtual Dyno vs. Dynojet Comparison (and VF52 vs. 20G XTR) - NASIOC
    PhatBotti Tuning - Tuning FAQ & Misc Info - NASIOC
    Eric's Guide to Datalogging and Understanding Datalogs.

your still running the stock injectors!?!? I would have thought they would have been maxed out by now. what's your IDC?

Quote Originally Posted by speedtown View Post
    your still running the stock injectors!?!? I would have thought they would have been maxed out by now. what's your IDC?
    At the end of a pull they get to 99% though if you look at my AFR in the graph you'll see it's a bit rich (10.8 vs 11.2) which is on the safe side.

When my stock FP started to fail, I asked Eric@TP if I needed injectors for his TP stage 2 tune.
    He said no at this time, even when I went to 'stage 3' and added ELH headers. The reason is that with bigger intercooler and ELH headers the engine breaths better so you can run leaner (less fuel) and more timing without detonation. In fact you can see that on my stage 3+ELH tune my boost is actually lower than with just the Stage 3 tune. This is because air flows through the engine more efficiently.

After my final revision and weeks of driving (4 tanks of gas) I have zero FLKC on a 3rd gear pull.
    Though if I were to do any more power mods - E85 or a turbo then injectors would indeed be needed.
    E85 requires more fuel and a turbo is going to flow a lot more air than the VF52.

Thanks for your help with the virtual dyno! That's awesome. One more question, where did u buy your tsudo DP from? And how is the fitment? I can't find any for 2011-2014

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Erz performance, Cnt Racing, and eBay. Check all three of those sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Boost Leak? Yep not one but two!!

I have done all the modifications to my car, so it's not a surprise I have made a few mistakes. One of them is that I had never done a boost leak test. I decided to do one and to see if indeed I had a boost leak. If you have FMIC it's quite simple - especially if you have RacerX FMIC since it comes with an extra pipe.

Parts
    * Schrader valve from hardware store ($5.49)
    * 1 1/2 inch rubber connector ($2.29)
    * 1 1/2 PVC plug ($1.39)

Here it is all 'built', the pipe came with my FMIC for using with an STI style turbo. Can wait to really use this pipe for it's intended purpose

Here is the 'PVC' cap - I used a 1/8-27 NPT Tap and a '.3390' drill bit (ACO hardware has both).

Steps -
    * Remove oil cap on car!!
    * Plug boost tester in after turbo (FMIC bonus!)
    * Use air compressor to raise boost to about 10 PSI
    * Squirt some soapy water on all connections - look for bubbles and air leaking
    * You can monitor boost using a gauge or even Romraider
    * Once all the leaks have been fixed make sure you put the oil cap back on!

Here you can see how it's installed and no need to plug any inlets since it's 'POST' turbo.

Sure enough I had not one but two leaks!! One was on the passenger side of the FMIC and the other one was the BPV gasket. The passenger side was easy to fix just moved the t-bolt a bit and re-torqued. Now the BPV was the biggest leak and sealed well once I reinstalled. I re-used the rubber gasket and when I had the BPV semi-tight I pulled the rubber tab on the gasket. The OEM gasket has a tab that should line up and stick out a bit of the side of the BPV.

Now when I installed my FMIC I used some gasket sealer on the turbo outlet. I replaced this with a Mr Gasket 738G, which is made for late 70s Chevy V8 but works great. Once I had everything all back in place with no leaks. I also bought two 2" high temp silicon hump hoses as well. The leak on the passenger side was due to a tight hose and the first IC pipe coming outside of the turbo seemed a bit tight. I was able to find the 738G gasket at Autozone - but the hump hoses needed to be purchased online.

Here is the 738G from Autozone in case you need one.

I required an update to my tune which Eric at Torqued Performance did really quick like always. Since my car was now running too lean (from 11.2 -> 11.6) on a 3rd gear WOT pull. I didn't even do a full pull when I saw how much leaner my AFRs looked. Another good example of why you need a wideband to monitor AFRs!! It's also good in my view that it's better to be tuned on the rich side. Looking back I should have told Eric about my leaks and have him richen up my tune before logging a WOT pull.
    Last edited by krisk; 04-05-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typos...

Spring Car Wash!!

Spring is here with a good wash to boot! Need to clean the wheel wells...

New Gaskets!!

If you read my post about installing my equal length headers, you'll know I didn't use the right manifold to up pipe gasket. When I changed my oil I took a peek around the headers and noticed a few leaks. I expected at some point to replace the manifold to up pipe but didn't think I'd need to replace the manifold to head gaskets. Then again I did tighten the headers down more than once to stick in the additional gasket. Turns out that you really do need to replace gaskets once they are tightened down once. I also looked at my turbo to downpipe (since I just reused the gasket and indeed it was also leaking.

My car is a bit more quite with the new gaskets installed, though I thought I might pick up a few more TQ/HP with the update. Though even after getting my AFRs updated a bit not much of a difference. That's fine since I'm sure my turbo blanket will last longer since it's no longer getting covered in exhaust soot

Pictures on and off the car

Manifold to Head looks like a little leak and yes I should snip that header wrap tie next time I change the oil.

Manifold to Up Pipe looks like a small leak..

Here is a picture of the gaskets after they were removed, looks a lot worse...

Grimmspeed Gasket Parts
    2x think Exhaust Manifold to Up Pipe Gasket #027001
    GrimmSpeed Exhaust Manifold to Head Gasket (pair) #020001
    GrimmSpeed™ Turbo to Downpipe Gasket #028001
    Last edited by krisk; 05-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Kartboy Shifter Bushings Mod!!

This weekend I replaced my factory shifter bushings with Kartboy shifter bushings. Really makes the shifting much, much better and no more 'slop'. This mod is cheap to do and are worth every penny. I got these bushing online for $60.00 total. The price is great and the result is great! Though the install was pretty easy - except two parts. The first was getting the old front bushing removed. Maybe on an older car it would pop out easier, who knows. I found that I could cut one side of the bushing off with my leather man and then use the bolt that holds the bushing on to push the bushing out and pry it with a screw driver. This was cake compared to getting the last bolt started on the rear shifter bushing. It took me ~3 hours to do this part, took a few breaks to swear, cuss and rest. The rest was simple to do...

Old vs New - my car only has ~12,000 miles and the rear one was quite spongy, which makes the shifter sloppy.

Rear Bushing On!! If you do this mod you'll really appreciate when you get to this point!

Install Tips
    #1 Remove the heat shield - you'll need to make a small cut in the sheet metal or remove the O2 sensor.
    #2 Use grease on the bushings, wipe off excess else the bushing will slip off your hands like a greased pig
    #3 Place the car in neutral (on jacks of course)
    #4 Use a 1/4 ratchet on the front bushing nut (DON'T OVERTIGHTEN - break this and you're in a real pickle)
    #5 Install the new front bushing but don't install nut, then install the rear bushing, then front bushing nut.
    #6 Install the passenger side bolt first on the rear bushing - only get it started then do the next one
    #7 Remove or unplug your O2 sensor cable
    #8 I didn't remove the transmission mounts - maybe because I have an aftermarket downpipe?
    #9 Take a picture of the old rear bushing before taking off so that you get the new one installed with the correct orientation!

Youtube video help get an idea on the install, helped but I didn't see the need to drop the transmission.

Here is the part numbers - I picked these up from RallySportDirect.com
    KAR KB-003 Kartboy Shifter Bushings Subaru 5 Speed (inc. 2002-2014 WRX)
    KAR KB-003-REAR Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2004-2015 STI)

One more post and I'll be on page 4
    Comments welcome!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.