My 1st WRX - I shall call you Chester...

This is a discussion on My 1st WRX - I shall call you Chester... within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there guys, I joined ClubWRX.net on 12-27-2013 in hopes of finding a replacement for my totaled 2000 Impreza RS. ...

My 1st WRX - I shall call you Chester...

Hey there guys,

I joined ClubWRX.net on 12-27-2013 in hopes of finding a replacement for my totaled 2000 Impreza RS. I wanted to "upgrade" this time around and go for a WRX or an STi. I also wanted a vehicle with relatively low mileage and a owner who gave his/her car attention that it deserved (we all know this is important if you're an enthusiast like myself). I quickly found out that the STi would be out of the question, simply because they were out of my budget range and most were higher miles than I was willing to settle for. With the help of my wife, I was able to increase my budget a bit and started looking for WRXs with less than 50k miles on them. I found plenty of 2008 models for the right price, but thanks to the people here, I was quickly swayed away from buying one due to the clutch pedal issues and the lower HP/TQ specs. At that point I started looking at 2009+ models only. Since my budget went up a bit, I decided to give the Vehicle For Sale thread on here a closer look one more time. I'm glad I did, because I found a beautiful 2011 WRX with 22k miles. It was owned and driven by a retired air craft mechanic. I gave him a call the same day, he supplied me with a boat load of pics and I was pretty much sold at that point. There was only one problem - the car was located nearly 400 miles away from us. If I was going to make this trip, it was going to be a round trip...and I was not going to come back empty handed! So my wife and I got our bank paper work filled out and got approved for the loan within 1 day. I called the owner back the minute I knew we were approved and agreed to meet him next week Wed. This week was the same week Western NY got hit with a blizzard. Half of the 400 mile trip was on a thruway which was closed due to this blizzard! We had to drive two extra hours to avoid the closed strip of the I90-E using regular roads....all of this in a Sentra SpecV with all season tires. There was a few instances where I didn't think we were going to make it up the hill. I felt the wheels slipping a few times and thinking" ****, we're not going to make it up this hill!" Luckily, we never got stuck! Once we made it out of NY, it was nothing but clear skies all the way to our final destination - Sun-Lebanon, DE. About two hour prior to arriving, we found out that the cellphone charger we've been using couldn't keep up with the power consumption that the GPS was throwing at the battery. The low AMP output basically didn't charge the battery as much as it slowed the actual discharge. We were forced to turn off one phone and charge it a little while the other was dying with the GPS running. It was a little nerve wrecking simply because we were on a time limit. I had to work the next day! Well, after a 9 hour trip, we finally arrived and got to see the car in person and almost instantly, we caught second wind of energy. I couldn't believe how well maintained it was. Super clean in and out. I told him, "take us for a test drive"...and did he ever. There was a few times I thought we were going to go off the road and demolish the car. But that never happened - the car handled like it was on rails. That drive woke my wife and I right the **** up. We all went for a ride after this, with me behind the wheel. Granted I didn't know the capablities of the car like the owner did, I put the car through my own paces. I loved how responsive and fresh everything was. I drove beat up and used cars all my life, so this was a pleasant change! Before leaving town we stopped at Walgreens, I bought two new car chargers with a 2 amp output and we hit the road. We left Buffalo @ 3:35 am Wed and made it home @ 10:52 pm.

So here we are, another 400 miles later....

Thanks for looking and sorry for the long and boring story. I though it was worth mentioning given what we went through to get the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*reserved*

*reserved again*

I Support ClubWRX
    Epic.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

You got a good looking car!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Red GR brothers unite!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Looks nice! That red has started growing on me. Any plans to tint the front windows to match the back?
    Stink Eye Mob #596
    2011 OBP WRX
    Mods to come this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
    You got a good looking car!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Red GR brothers unite!
    Not that many of us around (from what I can see!)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWRX View Post
    Looks nice! That red has started growing on me. Any plans to tint the front windows to match the back?
    Thank you! Unfortunately, no. The cops here would go ape **** over front tinted windows. This is my 1st car with any type of tint on it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilitaryman View Post

Thank you! Unfortunately, no. The cops here would go ape **** over front tinted windows. This is my 1st car with any type of tint on it lol
    That's funny, We obviously have the same state laws, but I've had tint on every single one of my cars. My current WRX is 20% all the way around, and I've never been pulled over once for tint. *knock on wood*. Just goes to show that laws loose their bite if they are not enforced, lol.
    Stink Eye Mob #596
    2011 OBP WRX
    Mods to come this summer!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Congratulations. Love the color.

That's funny, We obviously have the same state laws, but I've had tint on every single one of my cars. My current WRX is 20% all the way around, and I've never been pulled over once for tint. *knock on wood*. Just goes to show that laws loose their bite if they are not enforced, lol.
    I was yanked in Duanesburg for front and rear windows, once at 11pm on I90 in the dark with my windows rolled down... once on my way to work on i90 traffic at 7:30AM, and once in Ithaca.

Haha yep. I guess it really depends on the cop. I've gotten pulled over with my friends for having front tinted windows and in my dad's truck a while back. Sometimes it gives them an excuse to pull you over and **** with you. To add to all that, I'm driving a sporty red car. It's just not worth the hassle.

Sounds like you've been able to avoid this whole mess altogether

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Congratulations. Love the color.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellajdmjon View Post
    I was yanked in Duanesburg for front and rear windows, once at 11pm on I90 in the dark with my windows rolled down... once on my way to work on i90 traffic at 7:30AM, and once in Ithaca.
    Thanks for chiming in. Them bastards have nothing better to do sometimes but that's for another thread to talk about lol

looks great man, i love the red look on the hatchbacks

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswrx View Post
    looks great man, i love the red look on the hatchbacks
    Thanks dude!

I just got back from the DMV - that was one expensive trip. NY Sales tax is ridiculous....