Subaru WRX Forum banner

Keep my High Mileage STI Stock?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
hey guys this is m first post and just purchased a 2006 sti. The car has 130k miles. It has all the maintenance records and has a clean title. He serviced it at a local subaru dealership a week before the purchase. I think i got the car for a steal, 16.5k. With its miles and condition kbb has it valued at around 18k. I kinda know this answer already but i just want to get some opinions, whether to keep it completely stock as is, or possibly tune... This is my firs subie and idk what to do! Im also worried about the motor mounts being bad as i have read they tend to break easily on he 06's. Thanks guys:cool:

#2 ·
Mounts would be a good upgrade regardless if they are broken or not. Search for Group-N motor mounts. Go for a Group-N transmission mount while you're at it (get tranny mount bushings from TurnInConcepts as well).

As for modding...I went stage 2 on my 05 STI when I had 115k, and it ran perfectly. If it has a good maintenance history, that's a good start. But ultimately, you'll want to do a compression test to find the health of the cylinders and pistons. If those check out, then you should feel alright about proceeding to mod.

#4 ·
No prob dude. I certainly would...my stock struts were blown before I hit 100k miles. If the previous owner hadn't done it, I would. Also, you're sure the timing belt service has been done, right?

It'd be a good time to look for some Koni inserts, or send your stock struts out for a revalve by Feal (Rallyracingsuspensions.com), and get a set of RCE Black or RCE Yellow springs to improve your handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.