I have a new toy!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have a new toy! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The first DSLR I've ever owned - a Canon EOS Rebel T5i. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...5mm_is_stm_kit It's also the first DSLR I've even ...

I Support ClubWRX

Smile I have a new toy!

The first DSLR I've ever owned - a Canon EOS Rebel T5i.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...5mm_is_stm_kit

It's also the first DSLR I've even gotten my hands on. Consumer Reports rated it a Best Buy and the highest score in its class. I opted for the 18-135mm IS II STM kit lens as I know I could not do without a similar amount of zoom compared to my previous digicam. This will take some time to learn! I am amazed and awestruck after three days. It has a 3" touch screen swivel LCD that is super easy to navigate through.

I've been using a Canon S3 IS superzoom higher end point and shoot since 2006. Love it for it's ease of use, but it fell way short of it's SLR-like features, namely anything over ISO 200 was far too noisy. I ended up always using it in Program mode with the ISO set low which made it very limited in what I could do with it. ISO 3200 - 6400 is more than adequate in the T5i. A big reason I went with the T5i as I was already used to the Canon layout - much of it is fairly similar to the S3 IS.

I'll posting up some pics in various places as I get better with it. I've got some really nice engine bay shots already - no post processing needed. The WRX gets detailed tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canon-eos-rebel-t5i-1-650x0.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	114916
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    New:

Old, with a lot of post proccessing:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice purchase, Bill! What do you use for photo editing? GIMP?

EDIT: We need to get an intake installed on your car. With the 19T, that'd be pretty beneficial for not all that much $$.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Photoshop CS4 x64. Can't figure out how to import the (~20 MB) .CR2 RAW images into PS. The Canon software can convert them into HUGE (~100 MB) TIFF images. Looking forward to playing with RAW files. The S3 IS was .jpg only. :/
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    The image below is what put the bug in me to camera shop. Took it last month with the S3 IS. I had to heavily post process to get it where it is (disappointing). The turkey vulture was back lit with overcast skies. Can't wait to see what the T5i can do in a similar shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG535.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	114917
    Mods & Pics

Temporary work around is to download a Lightroom trial and use that to import to PS - I don't know if it's going to work with CS4 though...

I Support ClubWRX
    I found this: https://www.adobe.com/support/downlo...jsp?ftpID=5596 but have not figured out how to use it. I browse to the folder containing the RAW images and it does not "see" them.

I'm in IT - I'm supposed to know how to make things work.

I recall doing a custom pick and choose install of CS4 - think I'll see if there were any needed components I did not include.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Photoshop CS4 x64. Can't figure out how to import the (~20 MB) .CR2 RAW images into PS. The Canon software can convert them into HUGE (~100 MB) TIFF images. Looking forward to playing with RAW files. The S3 IS was .jpg only. :/
    Adobe stop supporting the proprietary RAW files of manufacturers new models after a few years. It's their way of getting you to continue to upgrade their software (they're on CS6 now). So, if your model camera was released after they stopped adding new cameras to their "supported cameras list" for CS4, then you can't use the RAW files. You'll need to upgrade. Now Adobe have said they will no longer be offering Photoshop with a one-time, up front payment. It's going to be subscription only and the software will automatically check in with their servers once a month to make sure you're still paying. I dislike Adobe with a passion but, sadly, need to use their products every day.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Adobe stop supporting the proprietary RAW files of manufacturers new models after a few years. It's their way of getting you to continue to upgrade their software (they're on CS6 now). So, if your model camera was released after they stopped adding new cameras to their "supported cameras list" for CS4, then you can't use the RAW files. You'll need to upgrade. Now Adobe have said they will no longer be offering Photoshop with a one-time, up front payment. It's going to be subscription only and the software will automatically check in with their servers once a month to make sure you're still paying. I dislike Adobe with a passion but, sadly, need to use their products every day.
    Perfect - thanks for the info. So the DNG converter is useless unless I go CS6? Yes, I despise them as well. Any suggestions to work with RAW other than converting to TIFF? I suppose I could try the Canon software ...
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    So the DNG converter is useless unless I go CS6?
    I don't know. I've never used it. I read an article on Adobe's site that suggests it should fix your problem if you don't have the latest version of CS, but seeing as how it's not working....

If I were in your position, not needing Photoshop for work everyday, I'd probably buy Photoshop Elements. Under $70 on Amazon, currently. I've never used it, but from what I hear it has many of the features of recent CS versions and is supposedly great value for money. You might want to check that your camera is supported, but I think Elements also comes with Adobe CameraRAW (again, better check). The noise reduction in ACR is 10 times better than that in CS6. You think you can shoot at high ISO now!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I don't know. I've never used it. I read an article on Adobe's site that suggests it should fix your problem if you don't have the latest version of CS, but seeing as how it's not working....

If I were in your position, not needing Photoshop for work everyday, I'd probably buy Photoshop Elements. Under $70 on Amazon, currently. I've never used it, but from what I hear it has many of the features of recent CS versions and is supposedly great value for money. You might want to check that your camera is supported, but I think Elements also comes with Adobe CameraRAW (again, better check). The noise reduction in ACR is 10 times better than that in CS6. You think you can shoot at high ISO now!
    Hmmmm ... sounds good. I'll check it out. Thank you once more.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Before buying any newer version/program from Adobe, I'd look at GIMP:
    GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

That said, Adobe offers a cloud-based offering, which includes all their major softwares:
    https://www.adobe.com/products/creat...ing-guide.html

If you wanted to keep up-to-date on Adobe PS products, you'd more than break even. We've used it (full CS suite) at my current job, and it's worked out great. The single-app plan is $10/month, and if you only plan on photo editing, you can't beat that deal of having the most up-to-date version of Photoshop for $120/year...
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been toying with GIMP for some time now. I had a quick look if it was able to deal with the .CR2 images - a no go from what I saw. Need to delve deeper ...

I've been using Photoshop for 13+ years now and have gotten used to / learned how to use many of the tools. The last legitimate version I have available is CS4. I do not use pirated software.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you wanted to keep up-to-date on Adobe PS products, you'd more than break even. We've used it (full CS suite) at my current job, and it's worked out great. The single-app plan is $10/month, and if you only plan on photo editing, you can't beat that deal of having the most up-to-date version of Photoshop for $120/year...
    It's actually $19.99 p/month for a single app. If you've had a version of CS, from 3 onwards, it's discounted by $10 p/month for the first year. So, they lock you into a subscription, then are free to adjust prices to whatever they like, because if you quit the subscription, you're left with no software to use. Hate this idea.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    nice, but bill next time you should ask me , basically you coulda saved a few $$ by getting the T4i , as the T5i isnt really much of a upgrade for the price difference , still congrats and welcome to the world of dslr cameras
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.