I have a new toy! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have a new toy! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sweet toy! Canon DPP software is actually quite good for processing raw files. I'd recommend Lightroom over Photoshop Elements though... ...

Sweet toy!

Canon DPP software is actually quite good for processing raw files. I'd recommend Lightroom over Photoshop Elements though... not much more money but it's designed for photo workflow. Makes storage, rating, and processing of images much quicker and easier than Photoshop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    nice, but bill next time you should ask me , basically you coulda saved a few $$ by getting the T4i , as the T5i isnt really much of a upgrade for the price difference , still congrats and welcome to the world of dslr cameras
    They are very similar indeed, but the T4i does not have the trick touch screen LCD which I adore. Read all about them here: Canon EOS 700D/Rebel T5i In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review They had a lot of nice things to say about the LCD.

"The EOS 700D also features a touchscreen. This is of the capacitive (contact sensitive) rather than resistive (pressure sensitive) type, behaving like that of a typical smartphone. In Live View and Movie modes the screen can be used to specify the point of focus and (optionally) release the shutter. It also supports iPhone-like multi-touch and gestures. The rear screen has been redesigned with no air gap between the display and cover glass in an attempt to reduce reflections and improve visibility in bright light. There's also an anti-smudge coating which aims to reduce the impact of its newfound touch-sensitivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Sweet toy!

Canon DPP software is actually quite good for processing raw files. I'd recommend Lightroom over Photoshop Elements though... not much more money but it's designed for photo workflow. Makes storage, rating, and processing of images much quicker and easier than Photoshop.
    Screw Photoshop - Canon DPP is amazing for processing RAW! I've never used anything so powerful, fast and intuitive. I'm a n00b at this, but it seems to allow you to go back and change some of the settings on the camera after you have taken the image.

I took a bunch of images today using the Scene Intelligent Auto feature, shot both .jpeg and RAW simultaneously (nice feature!). I had no worries about any settings, just clicked away.

When I got home and looked over the images, I was shocked at how dark they appeared to be. Once I started using Canon DPP I quickly turned what I thought were turds into gems.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    very nice bill , lets see some pics and i never doubted that you would'nt do your homework before making the purchase
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    When I got home and looked over the images, I was shocked at how dark they appeared to be. Once I started using Canon DPP I quickly turned what I thought were turds into gems.
    That's great, I'm glad you found software that works for you! Next step is to learn to read the histogram. It'll save you getting home and being surprised with your images. Even with RAW there are limits to how far you can manipulate an image before it starts to look nasty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    very nice bill , lets see some pics and i never doubted that you would'nt do your homework before making the purchase
    I've got some ready to post, already see room for improvement. Seems I went overboard with the sharpness setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    That's great, I'm glad you found software that works for you! Next step is to learn to read the histogram. It'll save you getting home and being surprised with your images. Even with RAW there are limits to how far you can manipulate an image before it starts to look nasty.
    The software that came with the S3 IS was mediocre at best, so my expectations were low for DPP. Wow, was I wrong.

The default dpi is 350. I cranked it up to 1200 - is this bad? As mentioned above, sharpness seems to have had unanticipated results once I got them down to 1024 x 683. They looked great at full resolution.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the WRX professionally detailed today - first time ever. They did an outstanding job, far better than I was ever able to myself. I'll be posting a thread about the detail shop shortly. Rick's Auto Care (Detailing) - Pottstown, PA

What I have processed from RAW so far and really like:

Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-13-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    Mods & Pics

The default dpi is 350. I cranked it up to 1200 - is this bad? As mentioned above, sharpness seems to have had unanticipated results once I got them down to 1024 x 683. They looked great at full resolution.
    Er... what? DPI is "dots per inch". As in, the number of dots of ink on a page. It's for printing. Do you mean PPI - "pixels per inch"? So, just to clarify, you made the ppi 1200 when resizing an image? If that's the case, that's too much. When sizing for the web, 72ppi is all that computers can see. Apple's retina display might be able to see more, but I'm not personally changing my images yet. So there's no point adding more than 72ppi for the web at this stage 'cause no one will be able to see it and it takes longer to load. For print, stick with 300ppi. I've never been asked for anything higher than this.

With regards to sharpening, as long as you're using a fast enough shutter speed or a tripod to avoid blur, you probably won't need to sharpen at all. And sharpening a blurry image doesn't help it anyway. Sharpening is accentuated when you reduce the image size, so size your image first, then sharpen only if it needs it.

Oh, and for workflow, do your noise reduction before any other adjustments. Careful you don't go overboard as the image blurs the more you do. Sharpening should be the very last thing you do before saving the image.

Shots look good! One thing I'd suggest is using a larger aperture (smaller number) as this will help blur the background and create some separation between it and your subject. Using a longer focal length will have the same effect.

Nice car too ;o)

Screw Photoshop - Canon DPP is amazing for processing RAW! I've never used anything so powerful, fast and intuitive. I'm a n00b at this, but it seems to allow you to go back and change some of the settings on the camera after you have taken the image.

I took a bunch of images today using the Scene Intelligent Auto feature, shot both .jpeg and RAW simultaneously (nice feature!). I had no worries about any settings, just clicked away.

Essentially a RAW image is all the information your camera's image sensor can capture where a JPEG is a compressed file. Like the difference between a high-quality music file and an MP3. A lot of the times, you'll notice, the JPEG will actually end up looking better than the RAW file before you do any processing as the camera applies its own processing during the compression process. Usually, a RAW image will end up being a bit more flat and subdued looking because they are meant to be processed later.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice pickup! I'm considering a purchase myself, before going to Wyoming to backpack in September. My old Nikon D70s has been a good camera, but is low on pixels and features at this point. Both the D7000 and the Canon T4i seem like solid buys for me. Much research yet to do.

Your car looks outstanding, as usual.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

mmmmm, sorry to but in but after reading this I am now looking into other products out there. I was looking at Adobe just a few weeks back to learn and do some editing, but I guess with the info. that won't be happening. Any other product out there that you can suggest?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSubielove View Post
    mmmmm, sorry to but in but after reading this I am now looking into other products out there. I was looking at Adobe just a few weeks back to learn and do some editing, but I guess with the info. that won't be happening. Any other product out there that you can suggest?
    GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program It is hard to beat free.
    Mods & Pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

Man, everyone has these amazing DSLR cameras

and I'm over here like

P.S. Car looks great Bill! And nice camera!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post

and I'm over here like

whoah ! bewbs
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post

and I'm over here like

A brunette?

Have any "alternate" takes to email? I'm not getting any younger ...
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.