Wreckingball Man - From Rags to Race - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Wreckingball Man - From Rags to Race within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by pete25r I know I'm late to the party but nice thread. It reads as a good how ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but nice thread. It reads as a good how to fix your somewhat badly modded wrx. I had to do a bit of work on mine too just after I bought it.

keep fighting the good fight...
    More like, "How to: badly modded..but not quite, rebuild project. Then run the piss out of it." And thanks, I'll definitely keep fighting to keep it on the road, but don't think that means I'll go easy on it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Looking good. I used to not like the RPF1s at all, but that has totally changed. Always good to see bugeyes getting fixed up. 2 of them got into big accidents today alone in my local group.
    Thanks a bunch. I love the rpf1's! Not sure what I'd do if this was in an accident. Probly rebuild it off of craigslist and NASIOC because the insurance money wouldn't be much to speak of at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Day 310: Going Stage 2

After a long while of owning the AccessPort I finally had enough money saved up to get my *full exhaust and intake for stage 2. I was going to ditch the HKS downpipe for a bellmouth and have a nice full 3'' catback instead of stock catback. I had the AEM Wideband lying around in waiting as well to monitor AFR's. Bought it from the NASIOC classifieds but the o2 sensor never worked. I would have to buy a new sensor I figured. That was a bummer.

New Parts
    Pickup up a SpeedTech turbo back exhaust from Chad at Speedtech. I was excited as hell to get this. Although, my expectations were a little high for the product that I actually got. Picked up some heat wrap as well. Review and pics right here -->SpeedTech Exhaust Review - Link

I also picked up a Cobb Short Ram from Mikie, a fellow member on here. Gave me an excellent deal on a it with a newly cleaned filter. I am very thankful for this as I was expecting to pay a lot more for that lovely 'woosh' sound. Shout out to Mikie!

Pictures

Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Day 340: Transmission Woes: Part Two

Problems
    So being the tragic character that my car is; the viscous coupling in my new transmission, just put in a year ago, decided to take a **** on my face. I was getting some pretty nasty torque bind at highway speeds. Tried to get a video of it but was never able to catch it at the right moment. Every time I was on standby with a video camera it would never happen.

Solutions
    But anyway, after much deliberation, self-pitty, crying, searching 24hrs a day for a new tranny, and even thoughts of selling the car, I just had the coupling replaced along with the two front axles. The aftermarket axles that I reluctantly agreed to have installed when I initially bought and fixed up the car were way out of spec and causing issues as well. Since they weren't OEM the dealer couldn't do me any favors either. Took a very large hit again, almost immediately after buying new wheels. But unlike the wheels I couldn't just take these parts off and sell them if something happened to the car.

Conclusion
    On the bright side I received newly re-manufactured Axles and a brand new Viscous Coupling from Subaru all with full warranty and no cost replacement if something were to happen to them. Again, I had Earl-Duff Subaru do all of the work.

The wheels and now this most recent atom bomb on my pocket book would drastically change the way I viewed my car. This was the shift in my logic and shift in my whole approach towards this car.

I wish I had pics, but I don't. So here's some cool stolen pictures:

haha love that "intake box"
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool thread man and looking forward to following on your build
    Asian Ricer

Thank you Both

I Support ClubWRX
    Enjoy the build, glad you didn't cave-in and sell. At least the cars living up to your user name

Day 372: Current Plans for the Car, 1 Year Anniv., and Reflections

Past Year in Review
    Lesson learned, let’s not dwell on this. Life is too short. Learn from mistakes and move on. I have a new respect for things and I now put a lot of slow and deliberate thought into everything I do with this car.

Goals for the Year
    So, at this point after spending a good deal of extra money on the car fixing secondary problems and doing things over again, I decided this thing needed to be driven until the wheels fell off. So it became a goal of mine to get this thing to 400,000 miles….Maybe even half a million. As I type now I’m at 270,000 miles on the car. But it also became a goal of mine to extract as much fun as possible out of this car. In other words, the next 100,000+ miles will not be easy. They will be hell.
    As I drove the car several times a week and took it on long trips I slowly gained more confidence in it. It would seem I had finally put all these big problems behind me *knock on wood*. I then made plans to go to SCCA competitions. So I slowly prepped the car for these things. I decided to run stage 2 on an otherwise stock car to start out. This way I could improve my driving first and foremost. I also thought the stock suspension would make a better rally suspension than the springs/struts I had currently. So it became my goal to drive the car “back from the moon” and to enter into RallyCross an AutoCross.

Cautiously Optimistic Photos

Last edited by wreckingball man; 05-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Day 500: Transmission Woes: Part Three

Problem
    Uh oh! What's this? Axle grease! Yep, busted an axle.

Solution
    But it's ok, Earl-Duff said bring it down and we'll replace it under warranty. Thankfully this time the only stress that would ensue would be who to drive me back from the dealership.

An Old Theme Appears
    When I got down there I noticed the clutch started having trouble engaging..."here we go again" I thought. What the **** could it possibly be this time!? So first thing, I checked the reservoir and it was nearly empty. I had one of the mechanics top it off with some more brake fluid. But I also noticed the fluid was darker than I would have expected. The mechanic agreed. After some inspection we noticed the cap to the reservoir was not sealing correctly. I decided, should I run into the problem again, I would go pull a cap off a wrecked scooby somewhere. Not a big deal. And about half a year later with periodic checkups the reservoir is holding it's level perfectly and the fluid is the tint it should be. Weird Not sure what happened there. I guess the cap had been screwed on incorrectly.

Pictures

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234