Wreckingball Man - From Rags to Race - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wreckingball Man - From Rags to Race within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The subaru/hyundai Grayson dealerships is legendary around here for being bad. Mostly just bad business practices and bad customer service ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The subaru/hyundai Grayson dealerships is legendary around here for being bad. Mostly just bad business practices and bad customer service but they also had quite a few messes in the service department too. I know a guy who is a tech there and he's great, I'll request him if I ever have to go there. But the thing that threw me in was, a guy in the Subaru club went in for the same recall work (fuel lines) and after a while they just handed him a check for their time and parts and told him to fix it himself. I don't remember the details of the story but they really messed his car up and that just kinda spooked me, along with the way they interacted with me while I was there, it just wasn't pleasant and I didn't feel safe lol. Not even the salesman in the pinstripe suit and long fur jacket and fedora smoking a cigar and wearing ray bans could make me feel comfortable there.

"Mikie13"
    Now throw that intake on for some pshhhhh sound
    Pretty soon this will be caught up to the present day and guess which update you'll have a feature in Mikie?

"Skandiluz"
    Hopefully you get your boost and fuel issues sorted out.
    Thanks. I hope i don't discourage you too much from buying a Subaru with my long repair saga.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-23-2013 at 08:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i am glad you have a dealer and a mechanic you trust! i have the club and my garage. plus access to my shop when i need a lift(literally) ive read one more scary dont go to dealer story now and i am fairly sure i am in better shape diy with the clubs help than visiting a shop for repairs. nice sedan btw! i like the MBP better on the sedan, and your paint looks to be in great shape too!

i agree about the gauges being too bright and finding a dimmer lead. currently i fabed my boost into the left drop ash tray so i can tuck it away night driving. works till dimmer circut anyway. i am also looking at some 18 volt led's that would work(with some work lol) at replacing the 197 bulb in the gauges, And still connect to the dimmer. the higher voltage led should bring the light down a bit without a resistor circut(heat producer) thats in research right now lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

That's a pretty good idea. If I were to convert something into LED it would be the gauge cluster. I've already replaced the bulbs once and my sockets are really brittle and need to be replaced soon. My cluster is a little faded, maybe I could do some new film on it and re-paint the needles or change the light color. I've seen a lot of DIY's but they all look pretty bad haha.

I'll be honest Electrical Engineering and application topics have never been my strength

Lol me to despite my dads electronic degrees. My gauges were way to bright in my old car so I wired the bulbs in...oh gods... parallel I believe. Basicly made it a 24 volt bulb being supplied by twelve volts. Roughly cut the light in half. Thought I'd try a different route this time. Strangely enough, I'm in RadioShack right now browsing LEDs haha
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Day 210: Fixing Vacum Hoses, Grab Some Lube

So after picking up my car from the dealership, I ordered all those vacuum lines I needed. One of the salesmen that I know from the Knoxville Subaru club made out a parts list for me, I ended up ordering from Subarugenuineparts.com; sorry Earl-Duff Subaru, they were cheaper I lubed them all up and assembled everything. Then it was out to the car where I installed. Here's a pic of the lines I had to replace. It was a simple fix, but man those rubber hoses were expensive! After installing them, I took it out for a drive and it ran beautifully. It hit stock boost perfectly. I was now ready for stage 2. Or so I thought...sticking with convention I would run into a couple more major problems first.

Parts Replaced
    • Boost Control Solenoid Lines
    • Tee line containing Restrictor Pill
    • All Ventilation lines, crankcase and heads

Before

After

Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Day 240: Shaking and Vibrations: The Firestone Store

The Problem
    Now, at this point I'm needing an oil change. I had new tires put on not too long ago and the steering wheel was starting to shake. So, I asked them check and balance my tires as well, thinking they had worn down or dropped a weight...whatever, the usual thing. They balanced my tires and changed the oil. Here's where the fun comes in.

For one thing I will always change my own oil from now on, but that's a story for another update. Second, they were unsuccessful at balancing the wheels. Now later I would find it wasn't exactly their fault, fully. So after complaining I came to the wrongful conclusion that this Chevy dealer was incompetent, even though they had done great work for my family in the past.

Looking Elsewhere
    I decided to head up to the firestone store in search of more "specialized" services. A lot of guys in the local club really like this shop and have built a reputation with many people who pass through Knoxville on their way to the Dragon. They balanced the wheels again and checked the alignment. I drove off, got on the highway, and the shaking continued.

I gave them a call and after a misunderstanding and a testy technician on the other end of the phone, we came to the conclusion that I wasn't blaming them for anything and that I still had the problem and I wanted them to take a closer look at it. So I brought it in and they drove it and inspected it closely. Come to find out 3 of my wheels were bent or warped in some way. Figures.... maybe Rotas really aren't that great. But the good thing: I didn't buy them; The bad thing: I didn't buy them. Therefore I had no backup stock wheels. Never has one wanted their stock wheels more than I. Always keep your stockers, otherwise you're wallet will regret it if anything ever happens.

New Parts
    After looking around for more than a month or two, stock wheels remained elusive as did the 04 STi Gold BBS options. I decided to just move on and buy my third option. But again, a used set eluded me. I decided to just buy new, and after a heck of a search I found the last pair of 17x9 Enkei RPF1's in 5X100 in Silver that were made that year. I was planning on buying wheels, just not this early. My wallet was in critical condition. Bitter, Sweet. Buying new I had piece of mind, but significantly less cash.

I got the tires mounted and balanced on the new Enkei's and the car re-aligned. The Firestone guys didn't charge me for the initial balancing on the Rota's. Thanks guys. The Enkei's were so much lighter than the big heavy bent Rotas. For the money, I'd highly recommend Enkei, without a doubt a fantastic and good looking wheel. I get compliments every other day on campus or on the internet. Overall I'm completely satisfied with the wheels, just not with the circumstances, or timing of the purchase, or of the amount of cash I paid for them...I was going to sell the rotas and pad the purchase price before I knew they were bent. Now I don't know who would want those bent wheels.

Out with The Old

In with The New

And an Overly Dramatic Video Parody

Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Those wheels look great. I didn't used to really like the RPF1s, but they are really growing on me. I'm wondering if a black set will look good on my 2012.

The video was actually kinda cool. I liked that song.

And why the hell is your floor jack so loud?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Maybe because the handle is hitting the bumper? I don't know lol. The tires also squeak on the concrete when they come down.

And if you know me, I would say get them in silver not black

Day 280: Minor Details: All About CEL's

I had some difficulty trying to track down the cause of this CEL. I had to get everything in order before tuning it with the AccessPort. I originally just cleared it and reset the ECU. It didn't come back for nearly a thousand miles. Those miles were all highway, and as soon as I started city driving it appeared again. I'm not sure what it is about driving in the city that set it off again, it could have had no bearing on the code popping up anyway. Regardless, it was persistent after that. So I decided to start diagnosing it.

I went to the local tuner who's built up quiet a good reputation for tuning subarus. His shop is very close to me luckily. I also talked to the guys at Earl-Duff and the guys in the Knoxville Subaru Club as well. Lastly I researched everything I could find on NASIOC, IWSTi, and here. The link at the bottom pretty much explains everything that I did.

Links

P0171 CEL Thread - HELP You Identify the Problem

Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Like the M16 Star Chamber Pic TheJ. Pain to clean eh?

I Support ClubWRX
    Digging the use of Moog's music in that video. MCM is awesome in many many ways!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Yes they are!!

Day 290: Corn on the Cobb Accessport

So what can I say really? It's an AccessPort. The canned map sucks in comparison to a pro-tune. It runs rich and has lots of timing. The Ap itself as a peice of hardware is convenient in so many ways. I will go with a Pro Dyno Tune in the future using EcuTek or Tactrix depending on the tuner and my build, whatever...lol. If I even make it that far.

Here's a picture.

I know I'm late to the party but nice thread. It reads as a good how to fix your somewhat badly modded wrx. I had to do a bit of work on mine too just after I bought it.

keep fighting the good fight...
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good. I used to not like the RPF1s at all, but that has totally changed. Always good to see bugeyes getting fixed up. 2 of them got into big accidents today alone in my local group.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast