SheRa - My New STi Hatch

This is a discussion on SheRa - My New STi Hatch within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, just picked up my new 2013 STi and felt like bragging/sharing. Since I haven't posted in quite a ...

SheRa - My New STi Hatch

Hi everyone, just picked up my new 2013 STi and felt like bragging/sharing. Since I haven't posted in quite a while I figured now would be as good a time as any. My last car (2011 WRX sedan) was my first WRX, and this is my first STi. I'm definitely loving it so far. Got it fully loaded. Unfortunately when I ordered it I didn't ask for the SPT exhaust, and got it anyway. It's a little loud for my taste, especially when you open it up, which I do a lot. But I'll deal; I do like the sound, just not the volume. Already put an Invidia Catless DP on it (which made the catback even louder), AEM intake and a great tune from Eric at TorquedPerformance. It pulls pretty hard now, a lot more than I'm used to, so I don't think I'll be adding anymore mods for quite a while. My apologies for the crappy cell phone photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_13-22-46_519.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	110551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_13-22-57_632.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	110552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_13-23-24_525.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	110553

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

looks good, why did u switch from an 11 sedan to a new car? and that appears to be a hatch correct? comparison of the 4 door wrx to the new 5 door sti?

Congrats...good looking STI
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    looks good, why did u switch from an 11 sedan to a new car? and that appears to be a hatch correct? comparison of the 4 door wrx to the new 5 door sti?
    Thanks man, a couple of reasons I switched. First, I got my WRX with zero options after owning a very expensive moneypit of a Cadillac, and just wanted something fun and cheap, but after a while I started to miss the Navi and XM radio, heated seats, etc.

I chose the STi rather than another WRX because I wanted a more capable car that could be tuned more aggressively than the WRX without a ton of supporting mods. With Stg2 and an aggresive tune, my WRX started slipping the clutch, especially when it was really cold outside and pulled harder than normal due to lower air temp. I was worried about replacing another clutch and possibly breaking 2nd gear with a hard shift. I also just wanted the 6spd and all the cool goodies that come with the STi. I actually do adjust the SI drive and center diff quite often depending on what type of driving I'm doing. I've quickly learned it does have a pretty profound impact on how the car handles, despite what I had heard.

All that considered, I must say that my Stg2 WRX with a TP tune pulled noticeably harder than the stock STi. I've been told the STi only puts down about 10whp more than the WRX, even though it's claimed to have 40hp more at the flywheel. It's also heavier. The tuned WRX felt more capable around town; I'm convinced the turbo spooled lower/quicker, though the STi is quite a bit more capable at highway speeds where the WRX peters out. Now that I have the same setup on my STi I couldn't love it more. Just a 20psi TP tune, downpipe and AEM intake has turned it into a monster compared to stock, and I'm loving it even more. I want to do a water/meth injection and protune, or maybe e85, who knows what the future will hold, but right now I'm running short on the amount of patience my wife has with me spending money on cars. So I won't be doing anything else to it for a while.

Comparison between sedan and hatch...

First, I must say I like the styling in the interior of the STi better. It's subtle, but it's there. The gauges are different. The Alcantara and leather trim is amazing. Looks good, comfortable and easier to clean. The shifter and steering wheel feel more authentic, if that makes sense. I scratched up my steering wheel in the WRX a lot just getting in and out of the car, realizing it wasn't real leather. the STi steering wheel is wrapped in real leather judging by the look and feel. I got the subwoofer, which doesn't shake the entire car like I'm used to with custom subs, but it is quite loud. I've had to turn the bass down on occasion. Besides that, the sound system is still not all that stellar. Besides all the extra bass, which helps, it sounds the same as the WRX. It works fine, just not award winning. I might look into upgrading the mid range speakers and possibly adding an amp in the future, but it works for now. The system in my wife's GTi doesn't have quite as much bass, but still sounds better. Also probably because it has way better sound deadening.

As far as performance, I really like the ability to change the way the car functions as far as throttle and center diff. I also like that for the SI drive you can get "boost select" with custom tunes.

It brakes MUCH harder, WOW.

Handling is pretty awesome, although I never pushed either car to their full potential. The STi has a slightly stiffer ride, but it handles like a go cart compared to the WRX. Potholes are ferocious on 18" BBS wheels, and make me want to cry.

I LOVE the BBS wheels!

I got the short shifter from factory, and I'm glad I did. It shifts much smoother than the aftermarket short shifter I had on my WRX. It's taller than my old Kartboy, but the throw length is perfect. Feels positive and notchy, but still easy and smooth. Also, I had an issue with 5th gear grinding on occasion when I installed the Kartboy on my WRX, no such issues with the STi factory-installed short shifter.

Overall the STi inspires more driving confidence than the WRX, and that means a lot to me. Especially now that I have my initial performance mods done, it's a lot more fun to drive. I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Congrats...good looking STI
    Thanks!

oh ok, nice review. glad you like your new car, keep us updated on her!

Will do, thanks for the reply!.

Like I said, I think my next mods will be either water/meth injection or E85 w/ supporting mods/tune. We'll see. A gas station near here just started offering E85, and I've heard the torque you get from E85 is insane. So we'll see.

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the car. how many miles are on it? that seems like several mods and if it new is it even out of the break in period?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

SheRa - My New STi Hatch

Nice! I'm loving my 13 sti hatch as well. Went from a 11 wrx stg 2 e85 wrx. My wrx put down roughly 345whp and 410tq so a stock sti feels like a huge turd but I def like the sti better.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    congrats on the car. how many miles are on it? that seems like several mods and if it new is it even out of the break in period?
    It's got about 500 miles on it, so still not out of the break-in period. I'm driving it easy for the most part though. I've done a couple pulls to get the feel for it and a couple datalogs, but nothing like I treated the WRX. I flogged the hell out of that thing and aside from a clutch liner, it held up and ran beautifully till the day I traded it.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Nice! I'm loving my 13 sti hatch as well. Went from a 11 wrx stg 2 e85 wrx. My wrx put down roughly 345whp and 410tq so a stock sti feels like a huge turd but I def like the sti better.
    Yeah my WRX pulled way harder than the stock STi, but I was still happy with my purchase. Now that it's Stg2 with a custom tune, there is no question. I was surprised as hell when it broke the tires loose shifting into 2nd. Those are some sick numbers. Did you have to upgrade the clutch? I'll be happy to get there with my STi someday. For now I need to chill, so the wife doesn't kill me

SheRa - My New STi Hatch

Ya I made it about 200 miles before the clutch started slipping on 3rd gear pulls. I did the act 6 puck sprung. It's not that hard of a job if you have some basic tools and were able to jack the car up fairly high. I think the sti at stg 2 could even use an upgraded act street disc clutch.

love it, can't wait to see what you do to it

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Ya I made it about 200 miles before the clutch started slipping on 3rd gear pulls. I did the act 6 puck sprung. It's not that hard of a job if you have some basic tools and were able to jack the car up fairly high. I think the sti at stg 2 could even use an upgraded act street disc clutch.
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it, but I do see a clutch job in my future. Did you have to remove the calipers and control arms etc to get the front drive axles out? That's how I've seen it done on youtube, and that seems like a pain. Any tips?

I'd love to go the E85 route, but there aren't any pumps near me. I'm thinking prob water/meth injection with a protune will be my next step.

It's just a pain that I have to swap the downpipe every year to pass emmissions, and every service to maintain my warranty. I might just say screw the warranty! I didn't buy this thing to be economical, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by socal_subie View Post
    love it, can't wait to see what you do to it
    Thanks! Might be a while before I do anything else, but it's coming.

SheRa - My New STi Hatch

No, just bust the bottom ball joint loose on the spindle and pop the axle out the trans, I've even seen ppl leave the axle on and just slide the trans back enough to get to the clutch from the top. You prob will have to end up loosening the turbo up but dont remove it.
    Last edited by starkall; 12-25-2012 at 03:49 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

SheRa - My New STi Hatch

Great looking car. Sounds like its gonna be a beast!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Hey guys, here is a dyno run from yesterday. Tried putting this on NASIOC since they have a "proven power bragging" section, but I guess you can't post pictures there...

Dyno type: Dynojet
    Correction Type: SAE
    Correction factor: 1.01
    Ambient Temperature: 73
    Humidity:21%
    Max HP: 296
    Max TQ: 320

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TP_Dyno_Run.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	111944
    Last edited by bbrock171; 02-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.