2012 LR WRX Premium - Work in progress - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2012 LR WRX Premium - Work in progress within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by radbitt Thanks a lot! Dipping the trim took maybe 2 hours per side, but I took my ...

Re: 2012 LR WRX Premium - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by radbitt View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Dipping the trim took maybe 2 hours per side, but I took my time. I did do it like you said and take tape off between coats. I did 1 light coat and 2 heavier coats and it's held up well. So you don't have to do a complete masking again, I'd recommend laying all your tape down first, then use a thin painters tape to just get the fine masking all set. Now when you do a coat, you can take the thin masking off but leave the main stuff on. Still kind of tedious, but no point in pulling a ton of tape of between each coat.
    That's a great idea! That method should make it much easier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Haven't updated this in a while... Since then, I've painted my stockers, got a Nameless axleback, installed Kartboy SS and bushings (along with a new knob), dipped the fender badges and had it tinted 35%.

So the wheels came out alright for a rattlecan job. The stock wheels have so many crevices and tight areas, so it was difficult to get really good coats without being too heavy in other spots.

I really like the axleback exhaust. Sounds and looks very good. I'm not a fan of massive tips or anything, so I went with 3" doublewall tips that are staggered and flush with the bumper. Looks fairly stock, but sounds very nice.

The shifter mods are all great. I love the feel of the new shifter and bushings. These bushings only help the front - back and up - down play in the shifter, so I may look into the TIC bushings, as they affect the side - side play. New shift knob is a heavy Anarchy Motive knob. No lame logos or anything and it's better priced than everything similar.

Prepping wheels:

Primer:

Came out the way I figured; far from good... :

...But good from far:

Stock exhaust:

Nameless axleback:

Stock:

Nameless:

After a bath:

Short shifter and knob:

Tinted a legal 35%:

Washed, clayed, waxed:

WBM parking lot:

I Support ClubWRX
    the car is looking good, plasti dip aint perfect but its a great cheap option
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Had some fog light overlays lying around from a while ago. Was doing an oil change today and figured I'd throw them on.

I don't dislike them, but I'm not really sure how I feel about them. They'll probably grow on me.

I love yellow fogs. Don't love the stock fog size.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I love yellow fogs. Don't love the stock fog size.
    Thanks man! Would be pretty cool to fabricate a fog surround for some larger fogs.

Quote Originally Posted by radbitt View Post
    Thanks man! Would be pretty cool to fabricate a fog surround for some larger fogs.
    Yeah. That idea has popped up a few times recently. I'll just keep sitting back and wait for someone else to figure it out
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Wow, 30% tint failed inspection?? That's upsetting

I Support ClubWRX
    Yellow fog lights FTW!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Good looking car man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Wow, 30% tint failed inspection?? That's upsetting
    Definitely. I moved to Massachusetts and needed to get it inspected within 7 days of registration (even though I didn't even need to have it inspected in RI since I bought it new) and I wasn't sure where to go for inspection. My girlfriend mentioned some place that did all her family's cars, but I should have looked for somewhere a little more laid back with modifications. I don't mind 35% tint, but it sucked having to rip it off and have it redone.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Was the Process hard to do when it came to making the housing of the head lights black insteadof chrome?
    Does it void your warranty in anyway? I am looking for some small appearance modifications I can do.

Thank you for your time.
    V/R

Quote Originally Posted by YB_WRX_2013 View Post
    Was the Process hard to do when it came to making the housing of the head lights black insteadof chrome?
    Does it void your warranty in anyway? I am looking for some small appearance modifications I can do.

Thank you for your time.
    V/R
    I'll start off with the warranty question: Nothing can void your warranty. A claim can be denied if Subaru can prove that it was caused by an installed or modified part. Maybe if you try to get your dealer to fix your cracked headlight, and you chose to do this modification, it would be denied. But if you damage your engine, they're not going to say, "you painted your headlights and voided your warranty, sorry". No need to worry really.

The headlight project was a bit scary initially. It was something I never did before, so I was a bit nervous. It ended up being a lot easier than I thought.
    Here's a picture walkthru I posted on Reddit.
    And here is, what I would say is, the most detailed writeup around.
    Last edited by radbitt; 08-08-2013 at 06:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.