GoPro Hero3 Black Edition

This is a discussion on GoPro Hero3 Black Edition within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just picked up my GoPro Hero3 Black Edition the other day. I'm a little puzzled on the best place to ...

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition

Just picked up my GoPro Hero3 Black Edition the other day. I'm a little puzzled on the best place to put the camera to get the best shot of the action but still be able to hear the beautiful tone of the SPT exhaust. Anyone have any suggestions on the best spot to mount it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	110003

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Right or left rear quarter panel just behind the rear tires.

Your GoPro looks fantastic! I had the first edition and this is light years ahead of it!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't mind sharing, how much did that run you?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If I were to do it I would tape the gopro with skeleton door to the bottom of the spare tire well and use that audio to replace the audio from the actual drive footage. It helps if you to have two cameras so you have the exact same length audio and video after some quick editing, but you could do the drive twice with the camera in each position once and it would likely be close but much more editing.

The production company I filmed with in Japan used the SD gopro as secondary microphones for mic'ing athletes and recording radio chatter. The SD ones go pretty cheap used and you can get one that has a scratched lens since you would only use it for audio

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    If I were to do it I would tape the gopro with skeleton door to the bottom of the spare tire well and use that audio to replace the audio from the actual drive footage. It helps if you to have two cameras so you have the exact same length audio and video after some quick editing, but you could do the drive twice with the camera in each position once and it would likely be close but much more editing.

The production company I filmed with in Japan used the SD gopro as secondary microphones for mic'ing athletes and recording radio chatter. The SD ones go pretty cheap used and you can get one that has a scratched lens since you would only use it for audio
    That's a great concept! I happen to have a GoPro Hero I that is sitting in a desk drawer waiting for someone to rescue it. I only used it a couple times so it's mint! Think about it.

I like the idea of using 2 cameras.

ive always fought wind noise when aiming the cameras forward
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

i have the hero 2. i still have yet to use it for driving. mainly used it for snowboarding and a few times on the streetbike. but for camera postions on a car i want to try on the rear left fender. (around the oppostite side of gas tank door). and for the inside id like to try to the left of my head on the pillar there where the seatbelt is. maybe do some tests when bored later. i ran out of sticky mounts :/

sticky mounts on interior trim pieces WILL vibrate on rough roads. I have one on the dash that can really only be used for video on smooth roads.
    Using the suction mount to any of the fenders works very well and is quite smooth.

On the door behind and below the mirror with the mirror in the shot allows you to see the front wheel turning (on my 02 wagon without the wide body I can still see the up/down movement from this angle) and the driver in the mirror depending on glare and adjustment of mirror.

Another good spot is attached to the passenger seat or head rest using the chest mount. stuff a pillow or jacket in between the side bolsters so the camera isn't just suspended across them.

On the hood facing the windshield can look cool in short shots or for time lapses as you get an idea of the motion of the car from the glare on the windshield and the scenery.

Zip tied to the inside of the wheel well facing the wheel and suspension linkage is very entertaining, you'd be surprised how much the suspension works even on "smooth" roads.

I have been thinking about mounting it under the hood near the opening to the air box to get engine and turbo audio.

If you are on public roads (i.e. you will not be exceeding 100 mph) and won't be encountering water/excessive dust use the skeleton door with the camera facing forward. you will be surprised how much better the audio is with the skeleton door.

I Support ClubWRX
    I use the suction cup mount on the hood, fender, and sometime the inside of the rear window facing forward. That last view shows the road ahead and also the driver.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

This is what was talking about with two cameras. The audio is not perfectly synched up but the audio is from the previous run mounted under the car above the exhaust. Seems to give very good results.

hmm looks fun and camera setup worked out well. id like if they were exactly sync though. have to look up some microphones for the go pro

the reason they are not in synch is only because the first run was 4 seconds faster than the one you saw. if you use multiple shots and edit them together you could adjust the audio as need be to keep it in synch. If you want just a continuous shot I would recommend a second camera. As far as I know the only way to connect a mic is through a corded input which without modifying the housing the camera cant be in the housing