Just an Average (Sleeper) Wrx - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just an Average (Sleeper) Wrx within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by krntehknik303 Next step for me is to get a wingless trunk to match the scoopless hood and ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by krntehknik303 View Post
    Next step for me is to get a wingless trunk to match the scoopless hood and of course get the hood painted.
    That would be pretty sleeperish. Combined with the fact that the 2008+ WRX Sedans look remarkably like Corollas, well you'd have a nearly 300whp Corolla. Pretty fun I'd say.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    300awhp Corolla
    more funner
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Banned
    If you want a true sleeper, get some stick on fender vents. I have yet to see a car with those on that was even remotely fast.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the input fellas! hahaha. Yeah I got some "MINOR" stuff done to the car pushing the stock turbo close to its limit, almost though, almost!

Next step for me is to get a wingless trunk to match the scoopless hood and of course get the hood painted.
    Get a differnt turbo. Pushing a stock turbo to the limit isn't all that impressive and is relatively simple with very minor mods. If you want to go true sleeper, get some stock wheels off an 06-07 WRX, go wingless (as mentioned) and run the loudest exhaust you possibly can. People will think that you're N/A. Personally, I don't like scoopless. The scoop is part of the "charm" of the WRX. It's also a good conversation piece when people ask if it's functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Get a differnt turbo. Pushing a stock turbo to the limit isn't all that impressive and is relatively simple with very minor mods. If you want to go true sleeper, get some stock wheels off an 06-07 WRX, go wingless (as mentioned) and run the loudest exhaust you possibly can. People will think that you're N/A. Personally, I don't like scoopless. The scoop is part of the "charm" of the WRX. It's also a good conversation piece when people ask if it's functional.
    Having a scoop with a front mount isn't all that much functional IMO. I would rather have people think its just stock, slammed, and with a lip kit.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Having a scoop with a front mount isn't all that much functional IMO. I would rather have people think its just stock, slammed, and with a lip kit.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

So, you don't think that pulling hot air out of the engine bay while moving is functional? Hmmm...guess I've been wrong for a while...

zax
    So, you don't think that pulling hot air out of the engine bay while moving is functional? Hmmm...guess I've been wrong for a while...
    Don't make me pull out thermodynamics on you... it's not as "functional" as you think. The main reason for switching to FMIC is to accommodate an increase in the size of the core. Also to preserve airflow velocity through the core by eliminating a 90 degree bend. It has less to do with the actual underhood temps.

Facebook me here

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't make me pull out thermodynamics on you... it's not as "functional" as you think. The main reason for switching to FMIC is to accommodate an increase in the size of the core. Also to preserve airflow velocity through the core by eliminating a 90 degree bend. It has less to do with the actual underhood temps.
    Without a TMIC in the way I'm willing to bet the engine bay temps would be lower while you're moving than as opposed to not having a hood scoop.

zax
    Without a TMIC in the way I'm willing to bet the engine bay temps would be lower while you're moving than as opposed to not having a hood scoop.
    It also creates a high-pressure "bubble" in the engine bay that impedes the flow of air through FMIC

Facebook me here

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It also creates a high-pressure "bubble" in the engine bay that impedes the flow of air through FMIC
    Does not. Wind tunnel test proof or it didn't happen.

zax
    Does not. Wind tunnel test proof or it didn't happen.
    Really? Think physics here. Fluid dynamics works similarly to the flow of electricity: Fluid flows along the gradient vector V = <dx/dt, dy/dt, dz/dt>. In the case of gas, flow is represented primarily by the movement of gas from the highest pressure (densest) to the lowest pressure (least dense). If you are pushing air through the hood scoop and into the engine bay, you are increasing the pressure within the engine bay at speed. As a result, you're effective delta(p) between the inside and outside of the engine bay is less than it would be without the hood scoop. Your motor is water cooled: You should be more concerned about decreasing the temps through the Radiator (which you will in this case since the volume of air -- flux -- through the radiator is larger without the scoop) than decreasing the temps in the bay itself.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Guys that go front mount without blocking the scoop off tend to have overheating issues at the track. As zach said, you form a high pressure zone under the bonnet (2 large innies, no large outties) and any air flow will be through the (now without the top mount resistance) scoop - not the FMIC or radiator.

There were some big guys pitching in on it - Crawford and KillerB to name a few. Think it was on iwsti.

I think my top mount is just about useless at track speeds anyhow after the first lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

That's what I was thinking...pressures get to be higher, less flow. Ergo why some new 3G owners are starting to drill holes where the "vents" are...a la Brandon.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

All the reasons why I went with a front mount and got a scoopless hood finally. My car seems to feel a lot better with the scoopless hood "probably just me" but who knows if there is actual noticeable difference when running on a stock turbo. Maybe more with a bigger turbo?Not too sure.

zax
    UMAD?

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.