The Virtual WRX photo thread

This is a discussion on The Virtual WRX photo thread within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Because I'm a nerd....I like to take and compare photos in videogames. I thought it would be cool to do ...

The Virtual WRX photo thread

Because I'm a nerd....I like to take and compare photos in videogames. I thought it would be cool to do a comparison of Forza 4 vs GT5 using an STI Sedan. Both are the games interpretation of WR Blue and completely stock. No wheel changes, lowering, etc...

I tried to get close to the same shots of both cars, so they are both parked in the exact same spot on the Suzuka Circuit. The lighting in the two games is different (looks like the source comes from opposing sides) b/c of different times of day...so I tried to get shots from the light and dark side to make them more similar.

lighter side front:

Darker side front:

Profile Lighter side:

Back lighter side:

Detail Front:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the Forza ones looks more realistic in almost every shot
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting. I'm a big Forza fan, so pardon the bias, but the Forza model looks better to my eyes. The headlight detail combined with the glossy reflection makes all the difference. Honestly, if I wasn't familiar with the game, I'd think that was real on first look. The GT model is much more matted, which is a clever way of subtly avoiding the high-res reflection details, but gives itself away much more quickly on close examination.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I agree with Zach. The Forza shots do look more realistic in almost all of the, except for the rear shot. I think the GT rear looks more detailed.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Forza is better!
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

The graphics on both of them are pretty damn good. I think this particular track/car combination lends itself a little better towards Forza.

The other thing to make note of is that Forza has more "dramatic" photos. The contrast and vibrancy is kind of "enhanced" without making any adjustments. Where as GT has a more "subtle" look to it...which is probably a more realistic look.

Having played both of them for many hours I would say that overall GT definitely has the better graphics of the two. There are certain moments that are unbelievable. Having said that, Forza has some incredible photos too...but they never quite look perfectly real. Especially if you take really detailed shots.

Also. Certain car models vary from game to game. I'm not sure which has the better WRX yet. I'd have to really get in there and look.

I'll post more pictures later perhaps. A better scenery, and maybe play with the contrast/saturation a little bit so that the models take center stage more than the effects.

Forza all the way! and GT uses the STI premium vs forzas

I honestly believe that Forza's images are prettier right out of the box b/c of "filter" trickery. It's like they are "pre-photoshoped". In the images I had already uploaded I think the lighting of that particular track is more dramatic on the forza version. I took some more photos of the same WRX, but I changed the paint to a more metallic sheen. I think it better reflects (pun intended) the look of WRB in real life.

On the photos below I did a very tiny amount of photoshopping. Basically just bumping up the contrast a small amount and adding a subtle vignette. I personally think these photos blow away anything you can accomplish in Forza. I'm gonna try to play with the photomode in Forza to see if I can approach this, but I have my doubts.

By csevin at 2012-07-31

By csevin at 2012-07-31

By csevin at 2012-07-31

By csevin at 2012-07-31

I think both games did a pretty good job with the actual car models. The lights on Forza actually look a little better from a "far shot". The mesh looks a little better on GT. The big difference, for me, is the textures. For example the surround of the grill in the image above. They did a good job getting a more matt finish softer plastic look. Everything on Forza is hyper reflective and too metallic looking. Interiors included for the ****pit view.

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy crap, GT4 pics looks amazing. But I do love me some Forza.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

Here are a few photos from Forza. I went for another "dark" scene...and tried for a similar amount of contrast/saturation.

By csevin at 2012-08-01

By csevin at 2012-08-01

By csevin at 2012-08-01

I don't think they are quite as good as the GT images...but pretty impressive still. I'm gonna keep trying with Forza...see if I can't get there. If anybody else wants to join in, feel free.

That's crazy...it almost looks like a toy model there, and not a video game!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I like how the GT5 STI has super expensive PIAA hybrid blades.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..