My *new* 2007 STI!

This is a discussion on My *new* 2007 STI! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! New to the forum but figured since I now own a Subaru of my own I should join ...

My *new* 2007 STI!

Hey guys! New to the forum but figured since I now own a Subaru of my own I should join the best forum out there! DUH! Hehe, anyways, I just picked up this 2007 WRB STI with 42,xxx miles on it. Seems near mint to me inside, out, and under! Pulls strong and shifts smooth! I'm loving it! I've got some pictures here but I definitely wanted to get some opinions as far as getting a game plan going with mods. I know, I know, everybody always asks this and trust me I already have searched and REsearched, hehe, plenty! Really, I'm looking to find out what my car already has and if I need to tune it or not. I question what it has because so far I've noticed some mechanic and some cosmetic modifications done to it by a previous owner which include:

Exterior:
    Perrin Stiffis in the wing(x3)
    Carbon Fiber Gas Tank Lid
    Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame
    Rally Armor Mud Flaps
    JDM STI Roof Scoop

Interior:
    Bone stock how I love it!

Engine Bay:
    Tein Hood Dampers
    Carbon Fiber Puller Cover
    SPT Heat Shield
    SPT High Flow Air Intake
    Hella Supertone Horns

Do you guys see any other mods in the pictures I may have missed?

So the question becomes...

What do I do first? In relation to the tune that is... How can I find out if the previous owner had tuned the vehicle with the intake or not? I realize I could err on the side of caution and grab a cobb intake/accessPORT with a mail tune but then what if something else has been done internally? The exhaust is stock but why the heat shield if no downpipe was installed? I'm just confused and I don't want to ruin my dream car I've spent so long trying to get! I've read nothing but bad things about the 07' factory tunes anyways so I guess I'm just looking for some safe advice on which way to "correct" what's been done to this car. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR bought a used sti, has intake, should i cobb mail tune it or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0157[1].jpg   IMG_0167.jpg   IMG_01581.jpg   IMG_0160.jpg   IMG_0168.jpg  

IMG_0169.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're right to question the heat shield and why the exhaust is stock. It's usually pretty easy to tell though if the exhaust was ever modified if you just look at the DP/turbo flange bolts. If they look like they've never been touched it's a pretty easy call the exhaust wasn't changed. Based on the mods you've listed, it sounds like the person that owned it before just loved cosmetic and not performance mods. I'd seriously consider getting rid of that roof scoop though because it looks pretty silly!

You need to start with the first mods what to do and not to do thread and then come back and ask questions about what to do since that covers pretty much any question you might have at this point.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    holy please remove the roof scoop

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

What is the purpose of the roof scoop? Not being a jerk, I'm just wondering...

I actually like the roof scoop. It's a very professional install and it is functional. In rallying, where a driver might not have ac or windows to roll down he will have a roof scoop to ventilate the cabin. I hated it when I first saw the car but after using it I absolutely love it! It brings air in quieter than having the windows rolled down so I don't have to shout at my gf when we are driving down the interstate or ruin my ears by cranking the radio up too loud hehe. I'm going to try searching for the first mods thread but my main concern is just trying to find out if the car has already been tuned or not. I suppose I could find a reputable tuner here in Colorado and see what numbers it's putting down to see if it seems factory. Thanks for the input/info. Roof scoop is staying!

So the previous owner actually cut a hole in the roof i.e. it's installed correctly? If so there's really no way you could remove it without having to pay a lot to have the hole patched. I'm glad you like it but just be prepared to get a lot of funny looks!

I'm assuming it doesn't have a boost gauge? That would be the easiest way to tell if it was tuned since it should be running a couple pounds higher boost if it was.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Previous owner actually cut the roof?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Installed by a Subaru dealer. Professional install. Fully functional. I love it. Could care less about the weird looks. Only attention I've gotten about the car has been thumbs up, people yelling, "Sweet car!", and actually several positive comments on the roof scoop. Think about it; if one were to "replicate" a wrc subie, would a roof scoop be that far off? Mud flaps, wing stiffis, NOT slammed, roof scoop etc. I want obnoxious looking, purpose-themed, practicality. Not slicks, wing delete, lowered, sleek look. I would have got an Eco for that. I do drive in the snow hehe.

No boost gauge. Guess I'll look at doing that ASAP. Good idea! New to forced induction. Anything else I could check under the hood?