GoPro2: STi Rally the Dunes - Florence, OR

This is a discussion on GoPro2: STi Rally the Dunes - Florence, OR within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ...

Banned

GoPro2: STi Rally the Dunes - Florence, OR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like a lot of fun!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh man, you're much braver than me. I love the Florence Dunes, but I would never take my subie there.

Fun fact about the Oregon Dunes: They're open to just about anything with an engine, and it is a "liability-free" zone. That is, if you're hiking around and get run over by a sand rail, you can't sue the sand rail.

Also, if you get stuck and can't recover yourself, tow trucks will come and get you, but they charge $100+ per 15 minutes or something like that, starting the moment the wheels touch the sand. If you're way out there, you could be $1k deep before they even reach your vehicle. Spending $5 or $6k on a tow out isn't unheard of.

That said, if you have a vehicle equipped for it, it's a blast. We took our SAE Baja cars out there and did some massive launches off the dune peaks.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Oh man, you're much braver than me. I love the Florence Dunes, but I would never take my subie there.
    "Cuz you got no balls?" Your car can handle it ..just to let you know... And it will handle it as good as most trucks out there being that its such solid car vs all these other cheaply built commuter cars that give us sooby lovers a bad rep ...lil schooling for ya ha

i been riding at the dunes since I was 7...about 22yrs :P No better place to have fun. If you have insurance then you are covered if you get run over, run over someone... Not sure its liability free zone because I've heard some stories.

Here is my last STi vid showing what these cars can handle...84K miles of abuse in 2yrs = 0 failures..

Last edited by RallySoob; 05-22-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Banned
    Last vid is my trx450r on the dunes

Last edited by RallySoob; 05-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whoa, where is the MX track at about the 4:00 minute mark in the second vid? That place looks bad-ass.

So what tires do you use on the dunes? What suspension setup? I could see WRX's being just fine on the hard packed sand, but I wouldn't think they have the clearance to handle the drier, deeper sand like that hill you drove up.

What part of Oregon are you in?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Banned
    I'm in Salem now, grew up in Eugene. That track is where the advanced rally school was held by primitive racing in Oly WA...good times no doubt. The STi has close to same ground clearance as the WRX, especially mine with 18" wheels it seems to sit a bit higher. The only time I hit front bumper was some accidental whoops at high speed but all is well for most part. The car is stock minus the cbe/intake. Its ok to scrape your front bumper sometimes, it can handle it. If you bought the car for looks then I highly recommend you dont drive like me lol. But these cars are like all terrain vehicles that can out handle porsche on auto cross track...gotta love the capabilities... I exploit them

..also I have driven on dunes along time so I know how not to get stuck and where not to go etc. Make sure you ride the dunes on quad, utv or something like that before you tackle it in a car
    Last edited by RallySoob; 05-22-2012 at 10:12 AM.