China - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on China within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Great pics, takes me back. Spent time there when I was in the Marine Corps. Victoria Peak is a great ...

Great pics, takes me back. Spent time there when I was in the Marine Corps. Victoria Peak is a great view of the island. Not sure what the exchange rate is these days, when I was there the rate was 10 to 1. Electronics were cheap
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm. ~Jacquie Phelan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Exchange in Hong Kong was around 8 HKD to 1 USD, and 7ish Yuan to 1 USD. Lots of things were indeed cheap, there, though not everything. Bartering is king on the street, there; thankfully our translator was really good at it. We did, however, feed 3 of us pizza and pasta, with beers all around, for $10 (US) in a HK restaurant.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

hey, me used to live there!!!! it was hard with the cantonese, since i spoke madarain, but i also miss the bartering with the street vendor. Here the only place i get to barter with is small businesses and when i get a car.... which was 8 days ago

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, just about the time I was starting to get okay at saying "thank you", etc, in Mandarin, we traveled to the south and I had to start over again.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Exchange in Hong Kong was around 8 HKD to 1 USD, and 7ish Yuan to 1 USD. Lots of things were indeed cheap, there, though not everything. Bartering is king on the street, there; thankfully our translator was really good at it. We did, however, feed 3 of us pizza and pasta, with beers all around, for $10 (US) in a HK restaurant.
    Korea was like this too.. if you couldn't haggle a deal.. you didn't belong buying things. Pretty much went for all things but food. I dont remember every having to haggle about cost of food. Goods though, oh man there was never a walk in and pay like we do here at home.
    I loved it though. Not sure about how the Chinese are, but Korean's really enjoy a good haggle Their sarcasm is also unmatched.. but only if they like you.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't enjoy the process of haggling like some do...my main strategy is simply to walk off. I found that the seller would start yelling lower prices at the back of my head if there was wiggle room.
    I bought a dinky Chinese tea set in the HK market for HK$100...they wanted 250 when we first walked up.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'd just shake my head no and keep offering a lower number. If he didn't want to sell for what I wanted to pay.. he didn't make a sale. Easy. lol.

In most of the larger retail establishements in Seoul it was just like here at home, prices were listed and you pay at a normal checkout.. etc. But in the street markets it was full on bartertown lol.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Korea was like this too.. if you couldn't haggle a deal.. you didn't belong buying things. Pretty much went for all things but food. I dont remember every having to haggle about cost of food. Goods though, oh man there was never a walk in and pay like we do here at home.
    I loved it though. Not sure about how the Chinese are, but Korean's really enjoy a good haggle Their sarcasm is also unmatched.. but only if they like you.
    I had a local guy haggle me a $300 very nicely made custom suit. I picked out a genuinely high quality fabric, and they did a fantastic job. I'm not much of a suit-wearer, but it's nice to have a suit that fits me so perfectly.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Well, usually, you yell out the prices, and since street vendors are very competitive. Such as If the booth next door hear a price and they willing to sell to you lower, they will call you over. That or jump from booth to booth and bargain . ie this guy next door said 5 dollars, you do it less ? if they say no, jump to the next. I promise you, you will eventually find one Very easy.

Especially in southeast asia, things usually are no more then a couple of dollars. Depends on what you get ... and if you ever go there, and they give you a price thats outragous, or even a price you dont agree with. Give them a "are you effing out of your mind look" follow by a "thinking face while having that look." Its bluffing, and they will eventually fix their price much lower then what they anticipated. Therefore, you wont get rip off. something i pick up when i went back.

Sorry if this is such long post.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, I know HOW to do it...I just don't enjoy it. Some people are into that kind of thing; I'm a laid-back kind of fellow, in person.

(on forums I'll bust your balls and ban your ass!)
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.