34 years of Japanese fun! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 34 years of Japanese fun! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The Zs switched to flat tops in '73, but most people have swapped those units for round tops, or triple ...

The Zs switched to flat tops in '73, but most people have swapped those units for round tops, or triple Webbers or Mikunis. The cool thing is the OE carbs weren't even made by SU, but were Hitachis using a licensed design from SU. I am curious, what do you remember about your revised differential location? I put a 280zx differential with a 3.90 gear ratio is (stock was 3.5~) but it is the stock location.
    2012 Base WRB WRX Hatch Stock
    1978 Datsun 280z Fully restored and lightly restomodded: http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/no..._890384.0.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I seem to remember the early Zs had a diff setup with an alignment issue concerning the location of the diff vs. the shafts and wheels, but no further details. I think the difference was that the early cars situated the crossbar such that the diff sat 2cm or more toward the nose of the car compared to the later cars. This meant the diff did not center between the wheels, it was too forward and the axles were canted backwards as a result.

The early 240Z cars had the R180 (like the Imprezas I suppose?) whereas later Zs like the 280Z had the R200. The turbo ZX used a different ring gear but the late Z and early ZX diffs are internally identical (I think! I'm no Z expert!). The early Z cars had a diff that looks a bit like our Impreza diffs, with the "square" cover. The later cars have round covers and the 20mm bigger ring gear.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about that. And yes, same R180 (minus 30 years of evolution). The R180 and R200 were used up until at least the end of the 280zx, not sure about the 300zx, but I believe it used the R200.
    2012 Base WRB WRX Hatch Stock
    1978 Datsun 280z Fully restored and lightly restomodded: http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/no..._890384.0.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12