2012 STI The Dark Side - Page 6
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 STI The Dark Side within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Annihilator817 I bought the WRX for a specific purpose, and it serves that purpose, period. I knew ...

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    I bought the WRX for a specific purpose, and it serves that purpose, period.

I knew I was buying a car with horrible handling that has terminal understeer. I know that the 11 WRX is faster than the 11 STI in a straight line. I know that the WRX weighs 200lbs+ less than the STI. I know that that these cars are fat pigs, that don't want to change direction when you turn the wheel.

I know quite a bit. And really, if you aren't looking for 500hp without breaking the car, and if you don't need the fancy diffs (and 99.9999% of STI owners do not need the diffs), then the WRX is in fact faster in a straight line, and will actually handle better than an STI....albeit only slightly.

Really though, these cars handle like doodoo. If you disagree, you are just plain ignorant.
    So instead of complaining why don't you get your car to handle better?
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
    So instead of complaining why don't you get youI r car to handle better?
    I already have. My WRX is probably one of the best dialed in 'stock' WRX's in the country.

My point was that I have realistic expectations as well as some good insight as to how these cars actually perform.

The same cannot be said of 99.9999% of STI or WRX owners.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX
    I already have. My WRX is probably one of the best dialed in 'stock' WRX's in the country.

My point was that I have realistic expectations as well as some good insight as to how these cars actually perform.

Good for you man!

I'm glad you with your whole 132 posts know all of us so well to say what our expectations are.

I really don't like to take this thread OT anymore than you already have, but you cannot make such broad statements about people you have little to no interactions with. I'm sorry if someone in your past made you this angry, but this is not the place to let the aggression out. Take it back to NASIOC.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

In other news: OP, how much did that steering wheel set you back? I like.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Good work to the OP. I agree on getting it tinted and removing the wing!
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

^^ lol. And yes, that steering wheel is tight!
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

You admitted to me that you have zero experience setting cars up correctly and now you are claiming to have one of the best stock WRX's? I think you are the one that needs a reality check.

The REALITY is that a properly setup STI or WRX can be a great track car. Are the lap times going to be like a Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 (which I have experience in)? No. When properly setup...is it a killer track car for under 40k? Absolutely. Lap for lap...the STI (or WRX) when properly setup turns as fast or faster lap times than a M3 with less power (proven with professional drivers back to back on the track).

Most cars are tuned to have a little bit of push so you can drive the car hard into turns. Cars like the Z06 actually need to have oversteer tuned out of the car to keep the tail from wanting to swing around every time you touch the gas mid turn. With any car...it is all about balance and with the availability of aftermarket parts...we are able to tune in that balance. There are other cars that come more track ready out of the box...but a truly track ready car from the factory is much more expensive. If you just want to keep the car stock and have a killer DD...or make it look like what you want to...the STI/WRX is great from a power/performance/dollar ratio. It is also capable of seeing 300 to 400 hp reliably (granted you are probably building the short block in the 400's) and can take that power to the track with results with the correct suspension setup.

But...not all of them see the track and some people just like to customize their car to suit their tastes and that is ok too.

You can keep trolling and spewing whatever you want to but that is what the WRX/STI really is...
    Last edited by rsutton1223; 04-30-2012 at 04:29 PM.

I said I have no personal experience setting up aerodynamics on a car, I never said I didn't have experience setting up suspensions or racing.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

But the STI is not faster than the WRX. And the STI dampers are junk, it needs an instant shock upgrade to even be passable as a performance car. That's not to say the BC's, as well as all of the other identical brands produced at Bor Chuan aren't worse than OE STI dampers, because they certainly are horrible.

But a stock STI is not much of a performer, and the stock handling of the cars is horrible because of the AWD.
    I track my car quite a bit, in fact more than my 911, and I usually attend Porsche Club track days. It consistently out-corner and out-brake 911 Turbos and completely track setup non-street legal earlier Porsches on R compounds. I own a car like that I've tracked and my STI can hang with it anywhere except the straights. Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Anybody else on this forum with a lot of experience tracking a late model STI versus a lot of Porsches including dedicated race cars want to comment? Bueller? Bueller?

Most WRX and STI owners have incredibly wild an innaccurate misconceptions about these cars, as well as very little understanding about the quality of Korean knockoffs.
    There are no misconceptions to be make about a set of brakes from a Korean company that has zero aftermarket brake pad replacements. Would you like to show me one? Just one. I can show you 20 options for my STI Brembos.

Quote Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
    You admitted to me that you have zero experience setting cars up correctly and now you are claiming to have one of the best stock WRX's? I think you are the one that needs a reality check.

The REALITY is that a properly setup STI or WRX can be a great track car. Are the lap times going to be like a Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 (which I have experience in)? No. When properly setup...is it a killer track car for under 40k? Absolutely. Lap for lap...the STI (or WRX) when properly setup turns as fast or faster lap times than a M3 with less power (proven with professional drivers back to back on the track).

Most cars are tuned to have a little bit of push so you can drive the car hard into turns. Cars like the Z06 actually need to have oversteer tuned out of the car to keep the tail from wanting to swing around every time you touch the gas mid turn. With any car...it is all about balance and with the availability of aftermarket parts...we are able to tune in that balance. There are other cars that come more track ready out of the box...but a truly track ready car from the factory is much more expensive. If you just want to keep the car stock and have a killer DD...or make it look like what you want to...the STI/WRX is great from a power/performance/dollar ratio. It is also capable of seeing 300 to 400 hp reliably (granted you are probably building the short block in the 400's) and can take that power to the track with results with the correct suspension setup.

But...not all of them see the track and some people just like to customize their car to suit their tastes and that is ok too.

You can keep trolling and spewing whatever you want to but that is what the WRX/STI really is...
    Very good post. I'm curious what time you have driving a GT3 RS because there's not that many available, never mind being able to actually drive one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I just can't wait to see how the +22 offset wheels is going to fit because I am running 18x9.5 with a +38 offset and the wheels are damn near sticking out of the fender. I just hope you are not doing the Hellaflush thing. Oh yeah I like the GTspec stearing wheel it looks very good and I think I might look into getting one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

Very good post. I'm curious what time you have driving a GT3 RS because there's not that many available, never mind being able to actually drive one.
    Very well off friends and track days. My seat time in the 4.0 is limited as I can't financially replace the car if something happens. When I go to the track these days, I am usually with a new RS, RS4.0 and several GT-R's. Ironically enough, a properly setup GT-R with mild upgrades will turn a faster lap than both Porsches. It's just not nearly as rewarding. My car does well considering the crowd. I really need to install this new turbo I have sitting on my desk to try to keep up with that amount of power at the track though...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    +1 on the good post.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Dang my thread become a chat room now,3 page full of blah blah...

btw did my oil change at 1036mi

Rotella T6 Synthetic

This thread is full of win.

I have those V12 tires on my RSX. I like 'em.

I Support ClubWRX
    These flickr pics make me want to dropkick a kitten. I hate that Flickr forces you to go to the site to enlarge the image. Tapatalk keeps tweaking out on me.

Nice thumbnail pics though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth