Seattle -> NY

This is a discussion on Seattle -> NY within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm in the midst of a move from the Olympic Peninsula to upstate NY and it's been quite enjoyable ...

Seattle -> NY

So I'm in the midst of a move from the Olympic Peninsula to upstate NY and it's been quite enjoyable because I finally (after 9 months of owning) have the chance to test my car out in a wide range of conditions, roads, and finally put my winter tires to use.

Left from Seattle yesterday through Snoqualmie pass, debated taking Steven's Pass just because I had never gone that way before but ended up just taking I-90 anyways. Ironically based on what I heard Snoqualmie was worse than Steven's. They had a road block set up enforcing chains/AWD etc. Flashback to the snow Puget Sound got in January, my car was trapped for 4 days because I literally could not get out of my parking spot on the stock tires. I held off buying winters until I knew for sure that I was going to be moving to NY and of course, no snow since I got them. Never having used anything other than all seasons on any car (other than low rolling resistance tires on the wife's hybrid ) I was SHOCKED and how horrible the stock tires are on snow. And the flip side, amazed at how awesome snow tires are (Pirelli Sottozero 210s if anyone is wondering. Any personal anecdotes on how these compare to other options is appreciated).

So back to today, realized I was making excellent time. I did the same drive last month in my wifes car (04 civic hybrid) which was miserable because I had a top speed of 55 going up hills. Being able to accelerate in 5th gear, going up hill at 80 is amazing. So I decided to stop and devote some time to photography of various stuff, including my car.

Plan on updating thread later with more interesting stuff from this trip. Currently typing this from a hotel in North Dakota.

Sidenote: Managed to make it since last summer with out a single rock chip, acquired several in the last 24 hours. Damnit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2368_69_70_tonemapped.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	103228

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds fascinating.Waiting for more pics of the epic journey.

Where are you moving to in NY?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Saratoga Springs

Very cool! Keep on snapping pics!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice pics.

I recommend those tires regularly. They are very capable in snow without ruining your handling.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Drive safe

Quote Originally Posted by al-the-killer
    Saratoga Springs
    30-45 min from me.

Take the time to check the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. The local club is pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by al-the-killer
    So I'm in the midst of a move from the Olympic Peninsula to upstate NY and it's been quite enjoyable because I finally (after 9 months of owning) have the chance to test my car out in a wide range of conditions, roads, and finally put my winter tires to use.
    No snow here...
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-16-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    have FUN , i have driven across country diagonally many a time FL-AK n back
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Drive safe

30-45 min from me.

Take the time to check the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. The local club is pretty active.

No snow here...
    Yeah.. no snow for the last 2000 miles. Kind of sad but having such nice weather is pretty awesome. Although I'm sure the 87 degrees I saw today in Ohio wasn't doing my winters any favors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	103295

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was on a savings plan last summer and had killed my star spec with a bad alignment. I ran those winter tires hard the whole summer and they didn't complain. Actually the slowest wearing tires I've had since moving from KS. 87? I drove them to St. Louis and back and it was scorching.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I was on a savings plan last summer and had killed my star spec with a bad alignment. I ran those winter tires hard the whole summer and they didn't complain. Actually the slowest wearing tires I've had since moving from KS. 87? I drove them to St. Louis and back and it was scorching.
    Good to know.

Have fun man. I drove my gf's '99 honda civic from Bellingham, WA to Miami, FL a year and a half ago. It was a great experience. Wish I had a funner car to make the drive though