naked_dave's 2012 DGM WRX Premium - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on naked_dave's 2012 DGM WRX Premium within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; subscribed, love your car and reading this is very informative...

subscribed, love your car and reading this is very informative

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Subscribed. Car looks great. Keep up the good work.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Got a new shift and e-brake boot from RedlineGoods. Got black and dark grey leather with red stitching to better match the seats, and I think it does perfectly! Their product is good, but not great. For the shift boot you have to punch your own holes, which I think that should come with it done. And the fitting is lose on the e-brake handle, almost to the point where it'd fall off. But, for the customization and price, you can't beat it.

More photos of the shift and e-brake boots

Click to view larger:

Last edited by naked_dave1; 01-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.

The one thing that I noticed about their products, which I had on my 05, was the fitment as well. That and they were hard to maintain cleanliness. The normal crumbs or dust that would build up in a car after a food days or weeks were otherwise hard to clean due to the true leather texture of the boots. The smooth boots make it easier to wipe clean.

I loved the quality and nice leather smell that came with them though. When I had contacted Redlinegoods.com about fitment on the brake boot, they told me to dremel down the leather to fit the clip into placement and after dremeling down to almost the bare leather, it still never fit. If the fitment weren't an issue, I would repurchase.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

So, it's been a while since I posted any stuff here. Haven't done much modding or anything with the car, then Auto crossing came along and got me hooked!

Two parts, first part will be on the technology I was using and the second will be the experience I had with actual racing and mechanics of it.

As you have seen in my past posts and the thread here I created an in dash mound for my iPad mini. And for my first autocross event I wanted to see how I could utilize that. I came across a few apps for iOS that were meant for the track and autocross, but the one that everyone seemed to use and suck out for me was Harry's Lap Timer.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Features I like about that app are:
    • Automatically starts and stops lap timing using triggers
    • Video overlay of information
    • Multi cam Support with other iOS devices and experimental support for GoPro
    • OBD II integration and support for external GPS unit

And I got the "Grand Prix Edition" for $27.99 to get all the features I wanted.

How I used the app on the track:

There is an "AutoX" option where you can set the start and finish points. So, when I walked the tracked, I set the start and finish points roughly where the official timer triggers were. And those triggers start and stop the recording of the video and lap time. But, it didn't work 100% because I think the built in GPS was a bit wonky so it wouldn't give the exact location I was, but 100ft off.

Built-in GPS:
    http://youtu.be/uRLPAG_ziKg

Couple things that can help with that. If your start and end points are very close to each other, you can set a direction in which it will trigger. You can also define how "wide" or "narrow" the app looks for those points. Messing around with those settings helped, but I still wasn't satisfied because of the GPS's built into the iPad mini with LTE and the iPhone 5. They are good enough for day to day navigation but not so much for the track. The refresh rate for the built in GPS is 1hz and that slow blip doesn't give accurate results with plotting the track, or fining the trigger points. The app does some interpolation and does a good job for what it has to work with.

So for my second autocross I got an external GPS that is compatible with iOS devices. The one I got that just just came out and is a bit overkill for my application is the Dual XGPS160. You could could also just get the dual xgps150. The reason I got the newer version is that it's refresh rate is 10hz, while the xgps150 is 5hz. The device connects via bluetooth and can have up to 5 connections if you wanted. It comes with a non-slip pad and stuck the unit on my dash in the recess were my clock is. It was a night and day difference with accuracy and plotting the map! At lest it was for me lol.

External GPS:

As for OBD device I used the PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi. It works great, and also have DashCommand app to view more vehicle information. I was having issues with the connection and the end of the day, but I think that's because my iPad and iPhone where looking for the same wifi connection. Turned off my iPhones WiFi for my second autocross and it seemed to help fix that issue. The one thing the app didn't collect data on was my braking, which I wish it did as it can help me at getting better at this whole racing thing.

My set up:
    I was using my iPad in my dash for the main device, then my iPhone on a RAM mount as the multi cam. The iPhone was synced via bluetooth and controlled by the main Harry's Lap Timer. When it's done recording the iPhone sends the video to iCloud then to the main device so you can over lay the footage. It takes a while for everything to transfer, but they are working on a direct wifi connection in a future release to help with that. You can also switch which video is the main one, or the PIP, which was nice as my iPad can't see out the window lol. External GPS unit was the dual xgps160 and was connected via bluetooth. Data from the car was being sent from the cars OBD II port by a PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi.

Last edited by naked_dave1; 08-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.

OP (naked_dave1)

lets see the system !!! go picture crazy. no one shows their system ? what gives ? when get to installing mine i will be sharing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    OP (naked_dave1)

lets see the system !!! go picture crazy. no one shows their system ? what gives ? when get to installing mine i will be sharing!!!
    The iPad mini install? You can follow the thread I have here.

Here are some finished photos

Click photo to view larger:

what about the subs? show me da trunk please

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    what about the subs? show me da trunk please
    If you look back a few posts in this thread, I have some photos.

Looks like an awesome setup, dude!

Hey man, how's your Bluetooth mic on that HU? I installed a pioneer touch and the mic for it sucks. Did you upgrade yours?

Quote Originally Posted by radbitt View Post
    Looks like an awesome setup, dude!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloRex View Post
    Hey man, how's your Bluetooth mic on that HU? I installed a pioneer touch and the mic for it sucks. Did you upgrade yours?
    I honestly don't use it that much. When I have used it, it was "ok". I did mess with the gain settings on the HU. I have my mic installed on the a-pillar at the top where the plastic ends, closest spot to me that I could find without it looking bad. I'm fairly sure it's an omni directional mic, and any road/exhaust noise does not help.

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot how awesome this install was.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Great thread! Very inspirational. You've got some sick gadgets, brah.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.