Canon 5D mark III

This is a discussion on Canon 5D mark III within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Still in the early part of the rumors, we all know the 5D mark III is coming, it's just a ...

Cool Canon 5D mark III

Still in the early part of the rumors, we all know the 5D mark III is coming, it's just a matter of when. I'm jonesin' for a new camera and from the rumored specs, this will be the camera to beat (for me anyway). The problem I'm having, is that I'm saving up for some wheels, and an AP! I can't have both.

5D Mark III/X Information [CR1] Canon Rumors
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A little more info is surfacing. At a $3500 price tag, this one's going to hurt. But the specs...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/t...2728-2012-cr3/
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Well for another perspective, I've moved away from even considering a DSLR because of the progress made by μ4/3 and other mirrorless interchangeable lens systems, and, well... because I'm shooting a rangefinder. A film rangefinder. From the 1960s. In 2012.

Since you're considering the purchase in the first place, you don't need it -- had you needed it, you would have simply bought it when it came out, retiring your MkII bodies to make up some of the expense for your business and adopting your workflow etc. You said none of that, so you don't need the MkIII.

You also don't need wheels. Your car has at least four.

Look into open source tuning, skip the wheels, and then consider either a MkIII or... nothing. Keep the $. Open source could save you $400 or so towards a MkIII or towards the "nothing purchased no $ lost" plan I support.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think I've been somewhat unclear. I currently shoot a 20D. Bought it the year it came out. The last year or so, have been struggling with the weak ISO performance as well as the AF performance. I've been lusting for a full-frame since the original 5D. 2011 was the year I decided to buy a new camera. I may just get the mark II depending on finances.

I want summer wheels because I don't want to pay the $99 twice a year to swap out my tires. (not to mention, I want new wheels.)

Stupid budgets. If I lived in credit card la-la-land, this wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from Tapatalk, cuz I can't get enough.
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    The 20D was a nice body. You're right about ISO performance, light years ahead today from what it was a decade ago. No comparison.

Well, I'd still look into DIY tuning or remote-map, emailed reflash open source, and save that $ there, plus I'd see if anyone in your area is highly skilled and wrapped their WRX round a lamp post etc. so that you can buy a set of wheels on the low $, saving even more towards your 5D. Trees don't discriminate, and wrecked WRXes could be wearing anything from stockers to Speedlines. You have to be patient and lucky though.

For new, have you looked at Enkei and/or Speedline? My current favs in the almost-reasonable-cost category.

I don't like budgets either. I hate when reality gets in the way.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Rumors now state that the 5DmII will get some big discounts pretty soon. Something tells me I won't be able to resist a (relatively) cheap, great camera.

I haven't completely ruled out an O/S tune. I'd have to find a laptop on clearance as I don't currently have one. Too bad the software won't run on my Android tablet.

My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Truth be told, the 5D series are remarkable bodies. It's not just the full frame aspect, it's their potential for colour tones, the completeness of the Canon "system" with lenses and accessories, and so on. Now that Nikon have released the D800 I wonder if this will change the game and up the ante for Canon, or whether the 5DIII spec is now fixed no matter what. In any case, did you see the new mobile phone from Nokia with the pixel binning tech? The sample shots are very good, better than many point and shoot cameras, and all from a mobile! I think one day almost nobody will be buying dedicated cameras. Not yet, but one day.

A used laptop could also be had or borrowed for a few hundred $ for tuning purposes.

You're in a good spot, there are "good problems" to have.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You're in a good spot, there are "good problems" to have.
    You are correct sir! 1st World Problems.

My Photostream
    about.me

My Photostream
    about.me

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of people have been asking me on Facebook what I think of this. Personally, I think that if you already own a 5dmk2, this upgrade really isn't worth it unless you're having problems with your AF or absolutely need the added video capabilities. The other specs aren't all that awe-inspiring by comparison. If you have a 7D or other cropped sensor Canon, it's a great upgrade. However, I don't think anyone in the Nikon camp is going to switch over anytime soon.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010