2012 - Aftermarket Audio setup
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 - Aftermarket Audio setup within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got my car back - few pics and breakdown of setup.... 2012 WRX - (work done at GoldStar Audio ...

Registered User AmandaWurlitzer's Avatar

2012 - Aftermarket Audio setup

Just got my car back - few pics and breakdown of setup.... 2012 WRX -
    (work done at GoldStar Audio - SoCal - have been going there for years, they do amazing work)

Focal PS165
    Focal PC165
    ARC KS125.4 AMP
    ARC KS500.1 AMP
    ARC Black 12 Subwoofer
    Scosche SE12 Sealed Box
    Kenwood DNX6990HD

Last edited by AmandaWurlitzer; 02-13-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That looks really good, sound quality must be much better without the rattling. Cali weather is so nice..
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Thanks ~ some Michigan snow would be fun right about now though

So what are your impressions of te audio in the car now. I can't wait to do all this in march to my Rex.
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

It's very nice. I have had quite a few systems done in past cars, so it's hard to have stock audio now.
    Sound is very strong, very clean. I might swap out the ARC sub for a Morel - have the Morel in another car, and it's impressive in a wide range of music. Will give it a few weeks and see how everything sounds when it's more broken in.
    I listen to all kinds of music, and so far, everything sounds good. Will have it tuned up a bit after break in.

The Kenwood is great. Seems quite a bit faster than they were in the past. Navigation is quick, menu's look great - tons of color choices/backgrounds, etc. I have it set to random, but it's a bit annoying with all the colors changing at night

The install is very clean - I'm all about the car looking stock. The amps are under the passenger seat, can't see them at all, and doesn't affect the seat movement. I have a small "bass" knob on the right side of the drivers seat. There are 2 empty slot/buttons there, so used one of those - so I can adjust bass levels without having to go into the settings. All in all, very happy.

That looks good how was the audio before the goodness you added? Or is it one of those must upgrades?

I think the stock radio was ok, not bad really. It had Bluetooth streaming audio - that was pretty cool. I just haven't had a stock system in a long time - so I got spoiled I guess. I always think that I can manage with a stock system, and that lasts for about 2 days ... I love music, so for me, a couple grand is well worth the upgrade - not to mention the Navigation and being able to play DVD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottles View Post
    That looks good how was the audio before the goodness you added? Or is it one of those must upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWurlitzer View Post
    I think the stock radio was ok, not bad really. It had Bluetooth streaming audio - that was pretty cool. I just haven't had a stock system in a long time - so I got spoiled I guess. I always think that I can manage with a stock system, and that lasts for about 2 days ... I love music, so for me, a couple grand is well worth the upgrade - not to mention the Navigation and being able to play DVD's.
    Okay good deal I was hoping it was an okay setup for awhile at least until I decided to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottles View Post
    In my '11 WRX, the stock head unit is horrible. Most of the time you can always hear the door rattling and what not. I don't think there is any difference between between the stock '11 and '12 head units.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

OP, does the door still rattle with the upgraded system?
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

No, I don't notice any rattle -
    Have been breaking in the system - and haven't noticed any problems or rattles.

I didn't use the stock system enough to notice anything wrong with it.
    Last edited by AmandaWurlitzer; 02-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Op, do you still have the bluetooth and steering wheel controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes

Gotta love that Axxess interface combined with the simplicity of the Subaru steering wheel controls. I was told other vehicles that go through the CAN Bus can be a nightmare when it comes to steering wheel controls with aftermarket radio swaps. After all, it's getting to the point where you can not replace radios in come cars without a super expensive, semi-functional dash kit OR losing functionality.

Also, I agree on the Morel sub. One of my friends just snagged a Morel Ultimo SC and he was very impressed with it. I told him he would like the regular Ultimo with more power even more.

Looks great!

So, I haven't done car audio since I was in high school. I have a lot of catching up to do, but a quick question to get me started...

The steering wheel controls, what is needed for an aftermarket head unit to interface with them. And tell me slowly with small words, I'm getting old and it's hard to hear...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.