My New Project - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on My New Project within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Daisy I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. I did an a/c delete ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. I did an a/c delete I don't ever use it, and will never use it, so why put it in?
    You live in Colorado. I imagine you'll need to use your De-frost at some point. No A/C = No Defrost.

The A/C delete is pointless. Removes 5 pounds from the vehicle and the parasitic loss when not engaged is negligible.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You live in Colorado. I imagine you'll need to use your De-frost at some point. No A/C = No Defrost.

The A/C delete is pointless. Removes 5 pounds from the vehicle and the parasitic loss when not engaged is negligible.
    This I am aware of.

A/C weighs more than 5 pounds, and it doesnt mean no defrost. It means longer time to defrost. I honestly haven't had a problems since I removed it. Defrosts fine.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    A/C weighs more than 5 pounds, and it doesnt mean no defrost. It means longer time to defrost. I honestly haven't had a problems since I removed it. Defrosts fine.
    Thanks.

I've driven a Jeep with no doors or windows (even in the winter) for almost 4 years. Defrosting isn't really much of an issue for me.

zax
    Meh, it's your car. It's a nice creature comfort that I am lucky enough to possess.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I spent years wiping the windshield of my '70 VW with a cloth because the factory defog was useless. I'll keep my compressor.

(Plus I live in the southeast. While it's plausible that I might buy a car with no air conditioning, I certainly wouldn't delete it if it came with it.)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Well, phase 1 is officially done. Whew. So far I have:

removed crusty blown up leaky nasty 260,000+ EJ205 (next project)
    pressure washed, sanded and painted engine bay
    installed (practically new) 2004 EJ257
    New ignition coils, spark plugs, new gaskets/seals, new thermostat, new (used) injectors
    swapped sensors, exhaust manifold, intake manifold/throttle body/wiring harness
    timing belt, alternator belt, and tensioner
    VF39 turbo
    STI intercooler
    intake silencer delete
    a/c delete
    turbo back Invidia exhaust and hangers
    Invidia uppipe
    steering rack and tie rod ends
    front drive shaft
    Megan Racing aluminum radiator
    B&M transmission cooler
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Optima battery, terminals and tie down
    Replaced all hoses under the hood, seals, gaskets, etc.
    Drained and flushed all fluids in the car
    new transmission, oil, air, fuel, etc filters
    managed to break the radio I bought leaving a hole in the dash
    New rotors and brake pads all around
    New tires
    Alignment (at Subaru right now)
    Tune (tomorrow - not being done by me)

and probably some other crap I forgot about. It seems like I've done way more than that!

Phase 2 consists of - rebuilding a (automatic) transmission, TGV delete, wheel bearings, bushings all around, struts, springs and whatever else I find that needs to be replaced.

Phase 3 consists of audio, body work, paint, seats, interior, lights, bigger brakes, wheels, tires, and any other visual mods I think of.

She looks like crap still, but she doesn't drive like crap anymore!

zax
    Phase 2 consists of - rebuilding a (automatic) transmission, TGV delete, wheel bearings, bushings all around, struts, springs and whatever else I find that needs to be replaced.
    Are you looking to replace or upgrade your transmission? As far as upgrades, you're very limited.

Consequently, you are also the first full EJ257-powered Auto transmission WRX that I've seen (save the Auto FXT of course)

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Are you looking to replace or upgrade your transmission? As far as upgrades, you're very limited.

Consequently, you are also the first full EJ257-powered Auto transmission WRX that I've seen (save the Auto FXT of course)
    Looking to upgrade. I was planning to buy another transmission and have it fully rebuilt and strengthened at a shop then put it in. I haven't come across many limitations yet in my research.

Getting **** done! Nice work.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Well, I just found out I need to drop the steering rack again. I guess they can't straighten my steering wheel when they do the alignment because it's upside down. They want to charge me $250.00 to straighten my steering wheel.

Learn something new every day. I guess I didn't realize the steering wheel was such an exact science.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I just found out I need to drop the steering rack again. I guess they can't straighten my steering wheel when they do the alignment because it's upside down. They want to charge me $250.00 to straighten my steering wheel.

Learn something new every day. I guess I didn't realize the steering wheel was such an exact science.
    You might be able to just undo the coupler on the steering shaft and spin it around right.

If you have it out, you might as well install these - they do make a nice difference IMO.
    http://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-Suba.../dp/B004ZZVM8K
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    You might be able to just undo the coupler on the steering shaft and spin it around right.

If you have it out, you might as well install these - they do make a nice difference IMO.
    Amazon.com: Whiteline Subaru Steering rack & pinion mount bushings, 02-04 WRX/STI: Automotive
    I'm hoping that's the case, but the dealership seemed to disagree with me, as usual. I've decided never to go back there because I think they're idiots. They told me my old engine was fine a few weeks before it blew They talk to me like I'm just a stupid girl that doesn't know anything and I'm sick of it.

I was actually just reading about those bushings. It seems they make quite a difference. I may just pick some up!

Thanks for the info

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There are a few dealer specific things I use them for, e.g. wheel bearings. Otherwise, nah. I nkow I had that coupling loose when I did my bushings, but I can't recall if it was trapped or could have come out to rotate. I think it does.

Finding a good alignment shop = win. It can be hard. You don't want the stock settings, and the dealer likely won't do it any other way.

Tell your independent shop you want as much negative front camber as they can get with no cross camber. The rest is all standard, no toe etc. They will get more if they loosen the bottom strut bolt. It should be somewhere between -1.2 to -1.5.

Alignment basics
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good info, thanks.

I'm going to try to find a good shop sometime next week. My alignment doesn't really seem to be off other than my wheel, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Of course, I wanted to be done with phase 1, but I'd rather take my time and get it right.

I'll order the bushings too and put those in when I flip the wheel. I would just leave it there, but it is such a pain in the rump to see how fast you're going and your turn signals never turn off automatially.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.