My New Project - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on My New Project within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Daisy So you're saying it should be painted bass boat sparkly too? It's about time someone agreed ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    So you're saying it should be painted bass boat sparkly too? It's about time someone agreed with me!!
    I painted my old truck and my old VW bass boat sparkly. I also painted a bugeye the brightest pearl zyrilic white I have ever seen, so you have my support. I am entirely partial to the 2004-2005 Subaru Java black pearl. That color with large (instead of small factory grind) flakes would be awesome!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    I'm all for the sparkly paint, do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I painted my old truck and my old VW bass boat sparkly. I also painted a bugeye the brightest pearl zyrilic white I have ever seen, so you have my support. I am entirely partial to the 2004-2005 Subaru Java black pearl. That color with large (instead of small factory grind) flakes would be awesome!

Hell yeah!!! I'm so doing it!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So what was the last project? Now I'm really curious.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    So what was the last project? Now I'm really curious.
    Didn't I already answer that? I would have totally painted that sparkly, but it would have been a waste because all I did was scratch (and occasionally crash) it.

Hi Daisy,

Any update?

I saw this thread in the new threads list and thought "OH SPARKLY PAINT!"
    Hope you can give us an update soon,
    -Jeremy

The engine I was waiting for fell through right about the time my engine took a crap. My car is now a large paperweight. Thinking about doing a ej257 swap now. I can't decide if I want to just drop it of at a shop and pay them to do it all or to do it myself.

Still looking into sparkly paint. Can't find anywhere to get it done how I want it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A full EJ257 swap will be pricey-dicey. Seriously, if the heads are in good shape, machine the heads and use the bottom-end from the EJ257
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Heads are bad. Got a quote for about 6000 to do the swap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Things to consider while swapping motor:

1. Clutch and flywheel
    -- in my book new motors get new clutches.

2. Mounts and bushings
    -- make sure to swap new motor mounts while you are there. Since the whole engine is out, it's a great time for front end bushings, tranny bushings, shifter bushings and pitch stop mount.

3. Also a great time to inspect your cv boots and change any leaky tranny seals.

4. Driveline
    Inspect it and make sure u joints and carrier bearings are still good

5. Radiator
    I'd replace it. The radiator is plastic and cannot be rebuilt or boiled. Its a disposable item.

6. Turbo
    I think you already said you were gonna replace it, but if not I'd do it since it shakes a common oil system
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Absolutely ^^

Also check the steering rack and PS lines

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Things to consider while swapping motor:

1. Clutch and flywheel
    -- in my book new motors get new clutches.

2. Mounts and bushings
    -- make sure to swap new motor mounts while you are there. Since the whole engine is out, it's a great time for front end bushings, tranny bushings, shifter bushings and pitch stop mount.

3. Also a great time to inspect your cv boots and change any leaky tranny seals.

4. Driveline
    Inspect it and make sure u joints and carrier bearings are still good

5. Radiator
    I'd replace it. The radiator is plastic and cannot be rebuilt or boiled. Its a disposable item.

6. Turbo
    I think you already said you were gonna replace it, but if not I'd do it since it shakes a common oil system
    1. It's an automatic, otherwise I would replace the clutch.

2. Still looking into the bushings, but I was planning on replacing the motor mounts.

3. I know one of the CV boots is bad, so it's on the 'to replace' list. I'll make sure to look at the tranny seals too.

4. I'll add it to the list!

5. Have a brand new aluminum radiator going in.

6. Planning to replace the turbo, but haven't decided if I want to go stock or bigger yet.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Absolutely ^^

Also check the steering rack and PS lines
    The steering rack is bad. I have a new one waiting to go in! I do still need to get the lines though. It's on my list (long list)

I'm basically trying to replace everything on this car. It has 260000+ miles on it, so everything is pretty much worn out. The hardest part is deciding if I want to keep it stock or upgrade it while I'm at it. I keep leaning towards upgrading.

Any suggestions on coilovers? I want something that is still comfortable for daily driving.

Thanks for all the tips, super helpful!

I did find another engine that I'm working on getting shipped, but haven't heard back from the guy yet. This one is completely rebuilt and ready to drop in, so it could really save me some time.

I'm driving a rental car right now, so I'd like to get this going asap. Not only do I not want to keep throwing my money at Enterprise, but I hate this rental car. I miss my WRX

I have decided, after draving this rental car, that I really want to get heated seats when I get new ones. Anyone have any suggestions on some (not too expensive) seats with heaters? I want to do 5 point harnesses. I've heard good things about Corbeau, but never for a WRX.

As much as I was sad my car died, I'm actually quite excited to see it up on stands getting stripped

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    1. It's an automatic, otherwise I would replace the clutch.
    I'd look at rebuilding the auto then and maybe a stall converter with a higher stall. A fresh motor behind a worn auto always ends in disaster.

5. Have a brand new aluminum radiator going in.
    Is it meant for an AT? Otherwise you may need an external tranny cooler and lines

6. Planning to replace the turbo, but haven't decided if I want to go stock or bigger yet.

Size the transmission mods accordingly if you upgrade. The stock 4EAT's live alright stock till about 300whp.

I have decided, after draving this rental car, that I really want to get heated seats when I get new ones. Anyone have any suggestions on some (not too expensive) seats with heaters?
    The factory had heated seat options a few years, maybe look into sourcing some of those.

I want to do 5 point harnesses. I've heard good things about Corbeau, but never for a WRX.
    I had Corbeau 3 points in my old car. Loved them and if you aren't racing in a sanctioned event above autocross, perfect and convenient.

The problem with 5 points is the croch strap. No one ever hooks it up. Since it is part of the seat belt, if you get pulled over and the cop sees you don't have the croch strap fastened, you'll get a seat belt ticket. If you do go 5 pts, buy the "cam lock" style from corbeau. Much easier to use than the traditional hook latch style.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I'd look at rebuilding the auto then and maybe a stall converter with a higher stall. A fresh motor behind a worn auto always ends in disaster.
    Good point. I should probably look into this.

Is it meant for an AT? Otherwise you may need an external tranny cooler and lines
    Tranny cooler is in the pile o' parts

Size the transmission mods accordingly if you upgrade. The stock 4EAT's live alright stock till about 300whp.
    Yeah, I think that's why I'm procrastinating so much on getting a turbo. I really don't think I'll ever need more than stock. I may just stick with that for now.

The factory had heated seat options a few years, maybe look into sourcing some of those.
    I'm really looking to get the 5 point seats. I hate regular seat belts.

I had Corbeau 3 points in my old car. Loved them and if you aren't racing in a sanctioned event above autocross, perfect and convenient.

The problem with 5 points is the croch strap. No one ever hooks it up. Since it is part of the seat belt, if you get pulled over and the cop sees you don't have the croch strap fastened, you'll get a seat belt ticket. If you do go 5 pts, buy the "cam lock" style from corbeau. Much easier to use than the traditional hook latch style.
    I've had a 5 point 3" setup on my daily driver for years and always used the crotch (weenie belt, as I call it) strap. I think the lack of use of that strap has a lot to do with body parts that I don't actually have. I think if I were a guy I would not want a strap there.

I've seen a few seats on Craigslist, but I think I might just go with some Corbeaus. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast