horse race timelapse anyone?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on horse race timelapse anyone? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I worked an endurance ride a couple of weeks back and I just threw this video together last night. I ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

horse race timelapse anyone?

I worked an endurance ride a couple of weeks back and I just threw this video together last night. I was in a rush, so I didn't put much work into the editing.. but I think it turned out alright for one of my first shots at time lapse photography.

The video is 1080p BTW, so I highly recommend watching it full screen on Vimeo.

Last edited by MainFrame; 11-30-2011 at 10:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very cool! Give some detail about how you acquired the footage for this. Recording 1080p for this long would chew up a lot of space; what kind of equipment did you use?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice.And how did you keep the camera running for so long?Do you keep changing batteries?

As you can tell I have no idea how time lapse works.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It's a composite video, using my Sony a900 DSLR for the night shots. I had it on a programmed sequence running an infinite number of 20 second exposures. Unfortunately at that rate my battery only lasted ~3.2 hours each night, I need to get the hand grip extension for additional battery life.. also a plug in charger would have helped, but the one I acquired didn't fit the camera.

The day video was shot with a Sony HDR-CX550 AVCHD handycam. I actually had the video quality cranked way down to where it will record something like 230+ hours on the internal flash memory. Looking back, I should have shot those portions in higher quality, like double the bitrate I used. The handycam I left plugged in as to not exhaust the battery.

This is actually only a small fraction of the footage I got, I just wanted to get something edited down and uploaded so people could see it.

The conditions were far from ideal. Starscape would have turned out much better if I had a more stable place to mount the camera other than on top of a trailer that people were sleeping in. Also, the near full moon completely overwhelmed the stars in the shot.. not to mention that there were 15-30mph winds the entire weekend and too much cloud cover. At one point the tripod actually blew over and I had to tie a sack full of water bottles to it to keep the damn thing anchored.

If you watch closely at 1:40 you can see me wave to the camera.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice! I've done timed shots with my Nikon D70s, using a computer to operate the shutter, and ran into the battery issue. (one of the reasons that I asked)

I did this a while back with my camcorder, 720p. Honestly, I never bother with 1080p...yet, at least. I have to store all of this crap somewhere, and the files are plenty large with 720.

--Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Ray... what happened there with the blue section in the middle?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    (btw... just ruffled at your street gangs video)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Ray... what happened there with the blue section in the middle?

looks like AWB?

I Support ClubWRX
    That's actually what the sky looked like at the time...it was a weird storm front.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    looks like AWB?
    I was thinking auto white balance as well..
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.