From 09 to 2011 wrx build :)
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on From 09 to 2011 wrx build :) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mod list to date, 2/22/12 ENGINE Turbo XS FMIC Turbo XS RFL BOV My own 3" blow through set up ...

Banned

From 09 to 2011 wrx build :)

Mod list to date, 2/22/12

ENGINE

Turbo XS FMIC
    Turbo XS RFL BOV
    My own 3" blow through set up
    My own 3" CAI
    My own 3" inlet
    JDM reversed 1 piece manifold, no TGV's
    Turbo XS CBE i modded for quad tips
    Invidia catless DP
    QTP 3" cutout
    Grimmspeed EWG UP
    Tial 38mm EWG
    Perrin EL header
    Walbro 255
    DW 750's
    My own modded parallel fuel lines and FPR
    KStech air pump delete
    Braille 15lb batter
    My own AOS
    AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor
    Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
    NGK 1 step colder plugs
    Perrin light weight pulley
    Grimmspeed 8mm spacers

SUSPENSION/DRIVE TRAIN

Koni adjustable sturts
    RCE Yellow springs
    TS SS
    TS front bushings
    Kart Boy rear bushing
    Perrin subframe lock down
    Whiteline diff inserts
    Group N tranny mount
    TS drive shaft bushings
    TiC cross member bushings
    TS pitch stop

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR

RH J5 evo 18x8.5 +44
    Conti DW 245/35/18
    My own front lower grill
    My own hood scoop delete
    My own front insert vents
    My own rear bumper vent
    HT auto front lip
    JSP CF blade wing
    HID 55w 6000k
    HIR 9011 brights
    SMY cluster bezel
    Innovate wide band O2
    Pro sport boost gauge

so ive had my 11 for some time but i never posted here about whats been going on. i got rid of the 09 because the interest rate was higher, the payment from a trade in was higher, the car had 36k on the clock and i didnt want to have to redo the motor, tranny, clutch, paint job etc etc. the 11 is costing me a whole bunch less and its nice to have brand new!!!!!!!!!

so i swapped over everything from my 09 to my 11 and i have been busy busy with a bunch of new parts. ill try to add in whats been going on.

Day 1 i went ahead with both cars at home thanks to having friends at the dealer and i swapped over my 15 lb battery, my light weight Racing Hart 18x8.5 +44 wheels and Conti DW 245x35x18, and last my Koni adjustable shocks with RCE Yellows.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by synolimit; 02-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    next i needed to add my TXS CBE but the large 4" single tips were not working for me. so i sold my SPT CBE and i bought some dual tip 304SS Magnaflow tips for about $52 each. i cut off the 4" tips and welded the new ones on. i also made sure the new tips where flush with the bumper. i didnt like how the SPT tips where set back about 2-3" and blackened my bumper. i also had to clean the **** out of my mufflers cause their metal is junk and not a true 304SS!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice color choice.. I'm biased tho..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Banned
    next i decided to make a few things and add a few things. first was a heavy shift knob. i used a trailer ball hitch and its a good 2.2 lbs. i just cut off the threads, drilled and tapped. installed with a short shifter looks great and feels great! everything coming up you'll see i use black wrinkle paint because you cant mess it up and it looks good and you cant hurt this stuff after you bake it.

next i made a AOS that looks and acts just like the $400 Crawford. turned out good for $15!

next i added the SMY gauge bazel with my Prosport boost gauge and Innovate wide band.

Banned
    next i decided to do a JDM one peice long runner manifold. i sand blasted the wrinkle red and wrinkle blacked it this took a while to set up and make sure i had everything ready to go. i had to make a spacer because the mani used a DBC and i have DBW and the DBC was 12mm bolts while mine was 10mm in a different pattern. also to use 1 of my OEM rails i had to make an adaptor. i also decided to use Grimmspeed 8mm spacers and paralle my fuel lines. it all worked out great but a lot of work!

Banned
    painted my front bumper inserts. i was going to vinyl wrap them but i figured it would be really hard for me to tackle alone because of the way the are. picked satin black so not everything is flat black and i dont like gloss black which the one part of the front grill is. i also got my hand grinder and shaved the back of the passanger insert. it was solid plastic. now there is a decent size hole for my CAI it get air from. im pretty sure ill cut the bumper to make the hole even bigger because as you can see its blocking air.

Banned
    omg what a ****ty 2 days!! decided to do everything sooner than planned. started at 11am first day and ended at 3am. then 12pm then next day and ended at 1am. so so so much to do by myself. full list of what i had to do...

swap manifolds and reverse the JDM
    finish and redo the TB adaptor!!!
    customize OEM FPR with welding and locating
    run fuel lines
    remove air pump system
    make and customize FMIC piping to fit
    find all air leaks from FMIC couplings and clamps, T BOLT CLAMPS CAN SUCK ***************
    remove power steering pump and bracket to get the hard 3" inlet pipe to fit, also dent it a little to make it fit.
    install AEM 3.5 bar MAP and run wires to make new wire harness
    install light weight pulley
    install ELH
    install EWG UP and EWG and run lines
    install CAI
    install catless DP
    lengthen MAF wires and TB wires, PITA and takes time, boring work
    replace coolant that got away when unplugging some lines for more room
    zip tie 100 things
    replace bolts that got rusted and needed cut off
    and last find little crap here and there that needed done or redone and once its all done check and check and check again!!!

after that nightmare i start logging and got about 6 revisions from Eric Minehart from Torqued Performance to get everything running smooth and clean. im really happy now and Eric is a great guy to help out with all this!

next step going to my tuner here and seeing what it will put down. he has a mustang and dynojet so we can compair the dyno's. last tune on my 09 was 330/360 on the dynojet and i didnt have ELH, 3" inlet, 3.5 MAP, 750cc injectors, TGV less. this should be interesting

newest pic of the piping

Banned
    so i got bored tonight. i was looking at some pics of the Grillcraft stuff and i figured i can do that! so i went to home depot and got some mesh stuff back in the concrete section. 2'x8' is all they had but it was only $7.50. then i got a few 1/4x48" steel rods for $3 a each. ¼” small was really easy to bend in my hands. then i just got to work. bent it where i needed it bent and welded the ends together.

after the bending i cut the mesh and zip tied it down to my outline structure if you will. i tried to weld it but the mesh would just exploded. being paper thin it was just too hard to weld to 1/4" thick rod. then i welded a few 1" rods on and drilled a few holes in my bumper. then i just zip tied everything down but not before i did a few coats of Plasti Dip paint.

the main reasons i want this is my FMIC looks like **** from winters (yes I even tried sanding to remove the corrosion). also when i was cutting my bumper out for the FMIC i slipped twice with the razor blade and made a few boo boo's. now with this dark block kind of thing it hides everything pretty damn good. i just hope in the summer it doesn’t kill my FMIC by not letting it cool off enough. i know people said this was a problem with the Grillcraft piece when running it and a TMIC.

since i no longer have a TMIC i need the hood scope blocked off. i hate how dirty the engine gets in winter and since my TB and mani are reversed my TB connector and wires are exposed right there in the hole. water and snow cannot be good for them. im going to do the same thing with the mesh but im going to then make a plate and block the scoop off all together. i just need some thin steel plate, weld, zip tie, and paint.

what do you guys think? Ill get better pics tomorrow in the sun. well if there is such thing anymore around here!!

Banned
    i changed my oil and tranny fluid. i figured id give the tranny a little more break in time (3497 miles) than the motor. im glad i didnt wait any longer. i just hate the idea of break in oils staying in something for so long! i mean the tranny oil stays in there till 30k! i believe subi uses synthetic now for everything (which i dont like the idea for motor oil when its brand new!!) but it was still time for a change.

im keeping with RedLine but i decided to go with 5w40 instead of 5w30. im still getting oil in my turbo compressor like the 09 from the seals so im hoping the thicker weight will be better. this was the motors 2nd change with 3000 miles on it and the first was done at 400 something. next change im going to do an oil analysis and compare it to my 09 results. since i have an AOS now i want to see the results of a full 3000 mile change where water from condensation and blow by are allowed to get back into the block. on the 09 i just had a catch can so nothing could get back. i HOPE everything is the same and the numbers are not too far off.

as for the tranny, since subi now uses synthetic i can say i did not feel a difference like i did on my 09. however for only 3497 miles it looked like ****. our drain plugs are magnetic and i had a ton of metal shavings all over it. you can see in the pics. if you guys haven’t done this yet on brand new trannys id do it ASAP. since the magnet was so covered in metal who knows if there was room for anymore to stick to it. during the drain i hope everything came out if there was something. i used RedLine 75w90 NS per RedLines recommendation. ill be doing the rear diff tomorrow because i dont have a pump to get it into the diff. the diff will use just 75w90. If you do change your tranny fluid be warned, it smells like dead fish and ****.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Nice color choice.. I'm biased tho..

i wish it was Aspen White! but i do love these in white!!!!

Banned
    and full parts list to date 11/26/11

EXHAUST
    Perrin EL header
    GS EWG UP
    Tial 38mm EWG
    Invidia Catless DP
    QTP 3" Cutout in mid pipe
    TXS CBE

INTAKE
    TXS CAI (just the pipe)
    My 3" inlet
    TXS FMIC
    TXS RFL BOV
    My 3" Blow through
    JDM manifold, no TGV's
    Grimmspeed 8mm phenolic spacers
    air pump deleted with kstech block off's
    evap system deleted

FUELING
    parallel fuel lines
    Walbro 255
    DW 750cc

SUSPENSION and Drive
    Torque Performance SS
    My heavy shift knob
    Group-N tranny mount
    TiC cross bushings
    Torque Performance front SS bushings
    Kartboy rear SS bushings
    Perrin subframe lock down kit
    Whiteline diff bushings
    RCE Yellow springs 330 lbs
    Koni adjustable shocks
    18.9 lbs RH evo wheels 18x8.5 +44
    Conti DW 245/35/18

MISC.
    SMY dual gauge bezel with wide band and boost
    Grimmspeed 3-port
    AEM MAP
    My grill "craft" grill
    window strip chrome delete
    wingless trunk

SOON to COME
    Dom 1.5xtr turbo
    20% tint
    roof matte black vinyl
    CF trunk and hood
    HT auto front lip
    Last edited by synolimit; 11-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Banned
    ok i ordered winter tires and wheels yesterday! Can’t wait to see how they do even though we haven't gotten an ounce of snow yet (but we will!!)

i have had Bridgestone WS-60's studdless ice/snow tires on my 09 and i thought they were awesome! i got my wife WS-70's for her 2010 accord last year and they are way better than her OEM tires but for some reason i don’t like them as much on her car. of course she is FWD but it’s the braking im talking about. for some reason it just didn’t seem to stop as well.

last winter i also tried Conti DWS all seasons when I had a spare 18” wheel set. they did make their way through everything but just not that great since they don’t have slits like winters do and of course there all seasons. you just have to stop a little sooner with snow and of course for ice conditions! for dry road conditions they handled really well and were quiet like my Conti DW summer tires. i really like Conti's!!

sadly monies tight so this winter i went with the best/cheapest i could find. I wanted Conti Extreme Winters but price was too high. i always end up buying a tire that gets 1st place for the year and in its category in Tire Racks tests. the tire i went with is the General Tire Altimax Arctic studdable ice/snow. i thought long and hard about which size to get but i ended up going with the cheapest yet still will work for the vehicle.

The stock size is a 235/45/17 which is a 25.3” diameter. My current tire is a 245/35/18 with a 24.8” diameter. I believe the high 24” range is best all around and best for drag racing, weight, rev’s etc. I wish I could have kept close to that number but again, price. Im glad 2 of my friends have 2011 STI’s because I saw that they run a 245/40/18 which is a 25.7” diameter and that tells me this chassis can handle the size. Because you want a thinner tire to cut through the snow I ended up getting a 205/60/16 on new black steel 16x6.5” wheels. The diameter is 25.7” like the OEM STI and only .4” more than OEM for the WRX so im not worried. Each wheel was only $56 and each tire was $81 so I say it’s a pretty good deal with free mounting and balancing.

Ill post pics when they come, it should be funny to see a 245 next to a little 205! Here a pic of the 09 OEM 225/45/17 next to my 245’s. this even looks night and day.

Last edited by synolimit; 11-28-2011 at 09:49 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    i wish it was Aspen White! but i do love these in white!!!!
    I miss my first.. aspen white 05 sti... But satin white is gorgeous still

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit
    the tire i went with is the General Tire Altimax Arctic studdable ice/snow.
    A few locals run that tire. If you're not looking to spend Blizzak / Nokian $, that's a solid choice.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Nice build. Lucky you were able to swap over a lot of the old parts.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast