From 09 to 2011 wrx build :) - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on From 09 to 2011 wrx build :) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Nicely done so far. Aren't you worried at all about water getting on the filter and possible water ingestion with ...

Nicely done so far. Aren't you worried at all about water getting on the filter and possible water ingestion with that front bumper opening?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Nicely done so far. Aren't you worried at all about water getting on the filter and possible water ingestion with that front bumper opening?
    the 09 had the fog light opening with the same mesh type of set up. 36k miles and never had an issue. i even checked 3-4 times after huge puddles, rain storms, winter storms etc. inlet was always bone dry.

Banned
    i think im going to make my own motor mounts. we all could use a little more stiffness but why shell out $120 for group N, $245 for beatrush, or $345 for MRI solid mounts, when i can make my own for probably $45???

my main reason is i need a little drop because my TB is rubbing a little on the hood and i can set it to whatever height i want.

i could make the MRI super easy out of a solid block of 6061 but i dont think id like a solid mount. just measure, drill, tap, done.

i think ill go after the beatrush then. the angle iron can be found at the metal store and i was thinking about using a cars bushing like this trailing arm i found. from the beatrush pic you can see all they did was weld on a plate to the two circles. im thinking they welded on a thread or just fead a bolt down though. once its all bolted down the thread really doesnt have to be welded. just drill a hole and set all 3 threads down inside. when the bushings are bolted down the threads cannot fall out and should make install easy.

Banned
    winters are here. wow these things are huge (height wise). im kinda glad they're tall. for winter i sit a little low and these wheels raise the car up about 1/4". not much when you measure but it looks like a lot more with the eye and off the car. the total diameter is .9" taller but for some reason its only .25" on the car. o well im glad my exhaust cut out is 1/4" taller than before. i have never hit anything with the cut out because of where it is located in the middle of the car, but she sure does sit low!!

the lot..

the cut out

the difference of a 205 vs 245 and 60 vs 35

the gap before (summer)

the gap after (winter)

the clearance

Banned
    so my black front end peices started chipping!! i used a plastic spray paint and even sanded. so i decided to use Plasti Dip this time. everything worked ok till the Plasti Dip started bubbling the plastic spray paint . needless to say i had to start all over! the spray paint came right off with the Plasti Dip and in spots that it didnt i just used my thumbs and rolled the paint right off! WTF??

for the life of me i could not get all the paint and Dip out of the vent holes :beatentod . so i decided to just cut them out. since i had 8 feet left of grill stuff, i just used that to make new vents. i cut to size and then JB welded the grill to the back of the peice. since a hell of a lot more bumper was then exposed i decided to Plastic Dip what was exposed black so it would blend in better and you wouldnt see all this white poking out. i think it all turned out good and since Plasti Dip is so easy to use i can tear it off and redo it anytime with ease.

O and while i was at it i did my mirrors and window chrome

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    What was your reasoning for adding the exhaust cutout?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman
    Because they're awesome, and when used with a turbo that flows enough, can yield some decent gains
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post

every little bit i can get out of the VF52 to show all it can do.

stage 2 sti had one on a mustang dyno and showed 17hp difference.
    Last edited by synolimit; 12-01-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Because they're awesome, and when used with a turbo that flows enough, can yield some decent gains
    I've heard nothing but bad things about them (stuck open, scraping, etc). And honestly don't see how there can be much gain considering its halfway down the exhaust. And if there is a change in flow wouldn't the tune be effected when its open?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    I've heard nothing but bad things about them (stuck open, scraping, etc). And honestly don't see how there can be much gain considering its halfway down the exhaust. And if there is a change in flow wouldn't the tune be effected when its open?
    im not worried about a $100 motor breaking. in winter you could remove it and and just install the shut off plate.

you tune open.

So if you tune open then doesn't that effect the tune when its closed?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Banned
    maybe, probably, but by the slightest of margins id imagine. id venture a guess and say its safer to tune with more parts and then take them off, then tune with less parts and then add abunch without a tune. id rather be rich then lean.

if was i able to throw on a EL header without a tune for it (i was already highly tuned) and nothing became dangerous, then im more then confident that tuning for a cutout closed or open will not affect anything!

Im just a bit of a tuning purest. I don't put any part on my car that I'm not tuned for and wouldn't even if it wasn't "dangerous" Not saying thats the right approach, just works for me
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Window chrome looks awesome now. How did you do it? spray?
    2011 DGM WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Banned
    I tried 3 sets of vinyl kits and only got 1 to work well on my 09. Removed and Plasti Dip is so much nicer and easier.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.