Johndabrit's Bugeye - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Johndabrit's Bugeye within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax I'd like to confirm this. I'm surprised that SOA actually gave you any form of useful ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'd like to confirm this. I'm surprised that SOA actually gave you any form of useful information. I think I'll get on the phone with Andrewtech later to confirm. As of the moment I have no reason not to believe that this is true.

Not quite. 2002 gears are different. In 2003, the gear width was increased 1 mm per RA specification. The 2003-2007 WRX gearset was unchanged, but various improvements were made to the gearbox to improve longevity -- 3rd gear synchro stop changed, dual-ring synchros, and eventually the F/D was changed in 2006. Speculation has it that Subaru changed the gearset in 2008 to LGT gears as stated ^^, but no proof thusfar. As I understand, the LGT gearset has the same gear dimensions as the 2003-2007 WRX, but is purportedly stronger.
    i'm gonna ask paul @ DBtuned(FW motorsports) to chime in on the actual difference in the 2009 gears which are now in my tranny case. I never really found out which parts are combined to make it happen into the 02 case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndabrit View Post
    i'm gonna ask paul @ DBtuned(FW motorsports) to chime in on the actual difference in the 2009 gears which are now in my tranny case. I never really found out which parts are combined to make it happen into the 02 case.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I do recall in reading and trolling LGT.com in my brief stint over there that the LGT 5spds are more stout and can handle power better than the WRX, ergo larger gears...which is what the 09s supposedly went to, in order to handle the larger power increase more reliably. One of the biggest transmission mods they talked about over there were just having the gearsets cryo-treated, and that made them strong enough to handle 300whp without any issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I do recall in reading and trolling LGT.com in my brief stint over there that the LGT 5spds are more stout and can handle power better than the WRX, ergo larger gears...which is what the 09s supposedly went to, in order to handle the larger power increase more reliably. One of the biggest transmission mods they talked about over there were just having the gearsets cryo-treated, and that made them strong enough to handle 300whp without any issues.
    Cryo-treated and shot-peened gearsets are suprisingly strong. The 6spd Evo guys (also plagued with tranny and transfer-case issues) claim a 30-or-so% increase in strength from Cryo-treatment and shot-peening. If we consider the upper-limit of the 5spd RA gears to be 350 wtq, a 30% increase would be 455 wtq! That's pretty good if you ask me. Still, for that price I'd just as well buy a used set of PPG gears that can handle 600 wtq
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

i inquired about the transmission and showed paul the link. We'll see if he pokes his nose in. He did say that the 2009 wrx gears are not identical to the LGT gears.

i updated post 1 for a better viewing experience. Let me know if it doesnt translate or looks like crap.

cleaned up posts and added latest dyno.
    275.7WHP / 301.4 WTQ

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I want those seats in the worst way possible
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    I want those seats in the worst way possible
    yeah the V7 is the only seat i can do long trips with without back pain. I'd really love to swap the seat rails so the controls work on the driver side but even with the right ups the swap is still a bit sketchy and i dont want it to be worse overall just to gain a couple handles. The support on the V7 is perfect. They inspired me to get the V7 wheel/shift knob and center console. Love all the V7 goodies. If i hear of any for a good deal i'll let you know. V8's look really nice too but the support isnt as good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123