Subaru WRX Forum banner

dangerousatom's new DD Beater Wagon

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  dangerousatom 
#1 ·
Got my wagon last year in Nov. I am no t too active on this forum but since Im going to the Victory Brewing Meet on 11/5 I'll throw up the wagons on going transformations.

After the totaling of my daily beater a 2002 WRX swapped 97 Subaru OBS :cry: I have started on a new DD a 2002 WRX Wagon. 147k on the motor with crashed valves. So after acquiring a 04 WRX long block with 64k and gathering parts, along with a ton of left overs from other builds I have finally started the build and a serious engine bay clean-up. Luckily every suspension mod swaps over from one car to the other.

The body is in great shape minus a few dings in the hood. With all the weather sucking with snow and all its been hard to get any good shots of the car. As you can see the bay was filthy, the previous owner just drove it and did not really keep things clean.

All motor bits are cleaned and painted. I quickly port matched the heads to the intake manifold & intake risers. The stock EVAP system has been basically deleted and the fuel system has been re-routed to be a parallel feed. TGV deletes along with the 16g turbo from the last car and a APs hard inlet are going on the motor. The 97 Subaru was tuned to 19 psi and I am planning on keeping it there.....it was plenty fast for a daily driver. With the transferred suspension mods and a few other bits I have picked up over the last few months the car should drive like its on rails.

It took a few weeks to get more pic's of the car and the motor going in ....snow and weather along with work are not making things easy to get this done fast. But finally its done!!!

with most of all the previous mods transferred over plus a few extra bits. After it smoking like a freak for the first start up,due to not venting any of the crank or head breather. It now is running great!!

Rerouted all vacuum lines to a distribution block with the uses of 1/4" push lock lines and fittings. Reran all the EVAP lines into a cheep Ebay catch can, with the same type lines and fittings and nothing is returned to the intake....VTA.

The transferred & new mod list:
-BC coilovers
-20mm Whiteline front sway bar with solid end links
-22-26mm Whiteline rear sway bar with solid end links
-Rear Whiteline stout mounts
-Rear sub-frame lock down kit
-Rear sub-frame ploy bushings
-Trans poly bushings
-Steering rack poly bushings
-Whiteline Rollcenter Kit
-STi aluminum control arms
-Rear Powerslot brake rotor upgrade w/EBC Green Pads
-Ebay 2 core aluminum racing radiator with slim fans
-Blouch 16g turbo
-STI Pink injectors
-Port matched Header w/GS crossover pipe
-Some cheep Stainles Steel Ebay UP
-Ebay 3" DP
-Greddy nock off Evo 2 cat back
-STi TMIC
-APS hard turbo inlet
-SPT Short ram intake
-Deleted TGVs
-GS 8mm intake maniflod spacers
-home made parallel fuel line system w/Summit regulator and pressure gauge. The first FPR was ditched due to it being a total piece of ebay crap!!!
-Areomotive Fuel Rails
-Chopped GFB short shifter
-17" Rota Attacks powder coated in Ink Black with Moon Dusk.....by LPC
-225/45 General Altimax Arctic Snow tires.....these things grip like crazy and ware like iron, I run them all season!!
-the Rally Innovations Light bar will be going back on from the old wagon with Hella 500 high beams

Needs to be washed bad!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Rear C-D Pillar to Strut Tower Brace

Full Build Thread
Wagon Rear C-D pillar to strut tower brace...Pic's! - NASIOC

V2.0

I finally have started the 02-03 wagon C-D bar.

Unknowing to me the 02 & up wagons have rear height adjustable seat belts. So that meant a total re-engineering of the side brackets. :( after about 3-4 hours or figuring and measuring I finally got it worked out. The V2.0 setup is going to be far more rigid than the 1st bar set that I made for the GC wagon. The 1st set's side brackets actually where bending from the amount of force I could but on then via the turn buckles. So the side bars are now 1" square tube upgraded from 1/2". The front mounting point on the side bar is a pipe anchor style and no longer attached to the seat belt directly, so seat belt mounts/function is unchanged. The rear mount is the same as the previous C-D bar. Instead of using cheap ebay rear tower bar mounts I had plate steel plasma cut and made my own.....far stronger and closer fitment. Also making my own turnbuckles again was out of the question. The 1st set litterly ripped the threads out of the female pipe ends, so I out sourced grade 8 turnbuckles along with all grade 8 universal/heim joints and pipe ends. Im figuring with the added strength I may be able to influence camber by .5+/- degrees depending on if the bars are in pulling or pushing tension mode......that remains to be seen appon rear alignment.

Here is what is finished so far:

Rear Side Bar Mounting Points

Front Side Bar Mount Points

Side Bars

Rear Strut Tower Mounts

Turnbuckle/Heim Joint Assembly

Upper and Lower Bars Installed

Hopefully tomorrow I will be finishing things up and welding in the bars that connect the Upper and Lower bars together. Then its off to powder coat.

Well after about 18 hours of fab work-running back and forth to Lowes and other places along with modifying the new tubing notcher all that is left to do now is pull everything out and clean up the welds and edges.

Already I can feel the difference in rear suspension response and rigidity on the 5 mile drive home from the shop.....cant wait the give it a good thrashing to see if there are any problems or odd noises.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.