New 2011 WRX WRB Hatch / Journal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX WRB Hatch / Journal within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys new here obviously. Just wanted to share my car with you guys. i picked it up about 3 ...

New 2011 WRX WRB Hatch / Journal

Hey guys new here obviously.

Just wanted to share my car with you guys.
    i picked it up about 3 weeks ago now (yes it still smells new) and have been enjoying every minute of AWD and the turbo. This is my first turbo car and manual car. I have practiced on my buddies beaters and i would say im about 95% comfortable driving stick now. I'm coming from a 3 series. Car drives completely different. I do miss the luxury interior feel of the bimmer but that's not why i bought this car. I bought it because it has so much potential for power and handling vs my old bimmer. After market stuff is in the hundreds while aftermarket parts for subarus is in the thousands. Plus it's nice to make so much power without spending 7k like i would of had to do to get a supercharger on my old bimmer and still barely make 300hp to the wheels. Towards the end of my ownership i felt like the transmission (auto) was slipping and was bound to go out. The car had 110k miles on it and was nothing but a headache. I had the chance to get into an evo 8/9 don't care for the X's but i've always liked the subaru community and believe it or not that always plays a big role in me choosing cars. I am a car enthusiasts and love all makes. I noticed when i had made a couple friends on my old board and attended meets with the bimmers guys they would always talk crap about JDM cars and it always made me feel a little bummed. They are very mistaken to under estimate these cars and the potential WRX/STi/Evo's have. Just seemed like douche bags and i was glad to leave the scene. I have a group of friends that all have WRX/STi/Evo's/IS-F's and they were extremely happy to finally convert me as well. They are ex bimmer/mbz/audi owners as well. It was nice to restart with 1 mile again. I am almost at 1k miles because i've been driving so much trying to get past break-in-period. I changed the oil at 500 miles and am changing it again at 1500. At 500 miles i also put in a magnetic drain plug instead of the stock to try and get any metal shavings next oil change.

Anyways here is the car the day i picked it up after they had removed all the plastic protectors and got it ready and preped. Car came with STi short shift kit and SPT exhaust which is really loud. The whole engine is incredibly louder then i had thought it was going to be lol. I always loved the subi rumble just didn't realize what it sounded like so often. I love it though.

The Second day i owned the car i woke up early gave it a real good detail to try and remove the swirls that the dealer gave me when they "detailed it" and debadged it. I love the cleaner look with no badges. Plus it makes people think it's a granny wagon haha. I still kind of trip out that i have a "5 door wagon" my old car was a sedan and when i was buying my WRX i had a 2011 WRX sedan right next to my hatch and debated for 30min about buying it instead. I think i made the right choice though, something about the hatches look so mean and wide with proper wheels and offsets.

09/30/11

Said i'd keep it stock for a while but that went out the window.
    Had Lyle over at VinylStyles do the red outline on my tails because they are hideous stock. I love the way they look now. I'm still debating if i want to add a light smoke to the blinker/reverse area or keep it clear like i have it now.

Also had him wrap my fender badge in matte dry carbon fiber. I don't like the silver stuff my car has stock. After the badges were wrapped and reapplied something had to be done about the Exhaust finishers they just looked tacky being the only silver on my car. My idea was to plasti-dip them because i do like the extension look they give to the rear diffusor. I removed them and saw that they really leave big holes in the stock diffusor which kinda sucks. I plan to install the R205 rear diffusor wing so hopefully it still fits with these on if not i'll have to use black rivets or something to cover the holes up.

I usually suck at DIY anything but i figured it's just plasti-dip and if i eff up that bad my friend is pretty good spray painter so he'll do it right. I think they came out okay though.

Have a bunch planned for this car and i think with my fellow WRX/STi owners on this board and irl i'll be much happier on this board with more down to earth people. Thanks for looking.

10/4/11
    Bought OEM rear bumper cover to protect the papers thin paint this car seems to have. Not 100% sure if I will keep it but for now it stays.

10/15/11
    Got the front end clear bra'd no more chips!

10/28/11
    Traded my SPT exhaust for a brand new Invidia q300 catback

11/26/11
    Replaced all interior lights with LED's and hatch license plate area

11/27/11
    Installed HiD's in 5000k

11/27/11
    Installed Fog light covers

1/30/12
    Decided it was time for power

Ordered Cobb accessport sub 00-3
    Ordered Invidia downpipe catless
    Ordered Cobb SF-Intake with airbox
    Ordered Kartboy gear box bushings
    Ordered all gaskets

2/02/12
    Installed Cobb Accessport
    Installed Cobb Stage 2 OTS LWG map.
    Installed Invidia downpipe to the catback to make the full TBE
    Installed Cobb SF-Intake with airbox
    Installed Kartboy gearbox bushings
    Installed gaskets
    Cut stock heat shielf to fit invidia downpipe

02/03/12
    Bought Torqued Performance stage 2 tune because the cobb map still felt really conservative.
    Had an exhaust leak from the ****ty downpipe gasket so i replaced the gasket with a remflex gasket and all leaks are taken car of.

02/17/12
    Filled the car up with 100 octane to try the TP map on a higher octane and holy crap! What a rush and difference in speed.

02/20/12
    Went back to cobb stage 2 OTS map severe low waste gate since my car is boost creeping a bit in the colder climates

02/24/12
    Purchased Charge Speed style front lip from Bayson R Motosports
    Purchased Eibach sway bars 25mm/22mm

02/25/12
    Installed Eibach sway bars and Holy F**CK the car feels amazing with these bars. No more crazy body roll and the car is planted! To date this has been my favorite purchase.

03/02/12
    Installed the CS Style front lip
    Removing the bumper was so simple i can't believe it was that easy, no bolts like on my old bimmer. Everything is held in with clips. I can have the bumper off in 5 minutes now if needed.

03/09/12
    Purchased Cobb turbo Heatshield with gold reflective thermal tape.
    Purchased Cusco Strut brace
    Purchased Grimmspeed manuel boost controller.

Installed Cobb turbo heatshield
    Installed Cusco Strut brace

03/14/12
    Had my 15k minor service done.

03/12/12
    Ordered some stuff to get my pro-tune done soon. After i get pro-tuned all bushings and suspension are getting an overhaul. Also will be picking up some wheels so clear my a set of brembos i have coming in.
    Last edited by PROcede; 03-18-2012 at 01:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pics of the fender badge?

I love the look of the painted exhaust finishers.IMO they look hideous otherwise.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good, man. I'm with rage - I usually think those finshers are hideous, but you resurrected them.

As for the fender badges, I just painted mine black -

Attachment 99698
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pics of the fender badge?

I love the look of the painted exhaust finishers.IMO they look hideous otherwise.
    Posted them!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats very nice you need some rallyarmor UR mudflaps now
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Best color. Nice whip!

i did the same thing red out tails and sprayed the finishers black. so much cleaner. good look keep it clean bud.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just my opinion - I'd rather have a couple scratches than that hideous piece of rubber on my bumper.

...and it will make the color fade differently if you leave it on and sit in the sun a lot, just so you know.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I got my 2011 from Capitol as well...how was your buying experience?
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

Quote Originally Posted by GOMEZ View Post
    I got my 2011 from Capitol as well...how was your buying experience?
    It was okay. I prolly could of got a better deal then i did but i was in a rush to get a new car asap. I could have shopped around but i was impatient. How about yourself? I really want to flash my car to stage 1 or 2 but i'm scared since i payed for the maintenance plan and warranty.

It was a good experience...went sort of like this:

7/09 - went in to see some 2011's, talked to a sales guy and told him what i wanted, said there was an incoming White 5 door Premium, advised I put a $500 deposit, did so and went home excited
    7/12 - got a call saying it would be here anytime soon.
    7/15 - picked up.

I'm in the same ballpark as you - If i waited for 2012's or picked up a base model, i could have found a better deal. But I wanted it ASAP. You gotta pay to play though, right?

As for stage 1 or 2, personally I want to enjoy the drivetrain stock for as long as possible. Stock power is good enough for me, for now. I'd spend money on better brakes, tires, sway bars and maybe coilovers. I too got the SPT exhaust and i'm pretty happy with it. I'll save the power mods for later on down the road. And i'd be afraid to void the warranty as you mentioned.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

Quote Originally Posted by GOMEZ View Post
    It was a good experience...went sort of like this.
    7/09 - went in to see some 2011's, talked to a sales guy and told him what i wanted, said there was an incoming White 5 door Premium, advised I put a $500 deposit, did so and went home excited
    7/12 - got a call saying it would be here anytime soon.
    7/15 - picked up.

I'm in the same ballpark as you - If i waited for 2012's or picked up a base model, i could have found a better deal. But I wanted it ASAP. You gotta pay to play though, right?
    Indeed. Overall i'm happy with the car and am loving the different driving feel AWD brings compared to RWD. This is my fist manual and first subie so learning little things as i go.

Good looking car, Glad to see you converted. You won't regret it.

Here is to a major bump with pictures added to the top. I'm really bad about updating this because i use a journal application on my iphone so i just copy and pasted everything over finally. I'll try to update this more often. Lots has changed and a lot more cosmetic changes are coming once i get my engine dialed in perfect. I'm still using the torqed performance stage 2 maps just had Eric turn boost down so i can run it safely and not blow up the plastic endtanks on my stock intercooler. Car runs amazing and always brings a smile to my face.

Ordered some stuff to get my pro-tune done soon. After i get pro-tuned all bushings and suspension are getting an overhaul. Also will be picking up some wheels to clear my a set of brembos i have coming in.
    Last edited by PROcede; 03-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast