85 Supra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 85 Supra within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I went and looked at a 85 Supra and drove it around then ended up driving it home I ...

85 Supra

Well I went and looked at a 85 Supra and drove it around then ended up driving it home I mean $750 for a running car with a great body doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I think I am going to gut the interior put a roll cage in it and do a 2JZ swap. I know its not a Subaru but I have always wanted a rwd project car and it reminds me of my first car it was a 97 Celica.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice car. I'd have bought it also (I am under a moratorium on car purchases under a new but strict domestic policy...).

There is a high rear hatch spoiler that can be fitted that came from the factory and it predates Subaru's spoiler on the Impreza by two decades. There are also fog lamps for the nose that looked very aggressive at the time.

I'd leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is.

Finding 225/50/15s is still feasible (I use them on my MR2) but it's getting harder and harder.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here is the rear wing Subaru seem to have copied:

To be fair I can't find another Japanese wing that predates this one in this style (also to be fair, Toyota and Subaru both seem to have copied the high-rise park bench wing as seen on the STi Imprezas from Mercedes... anyway... I like the Supra with the wing above!).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That's a pretty good deal for $750, I would've bought it too. How many miles are on the body/motor?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice find and just $750.Congratulations.Like Spiros ,I am also under a domestic moratorium or I would have bought something like this.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It has 209,000 miles and has the original motor and tranny. The owner claims that they have had the car sense new they have just passed it down in the family. I have found the motor mounts for the 2JZ swap so it begins.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    For 750 you win.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Nice score! .... likely you could stuff a alum chevy engine in there for a lot cheaper than a 2jz... and have more power, run 87 octane and buy parts at autozone all day long.

just sayin...
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Nice score! .... likely you could stuff a alum chevy engine in there for a lot cheaper than a 2jz... and have more power, run 87 octane and buy parts at autozone all day long.

just sayin...
    You can fit an LS1 in almost anything lol.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Toyota engine should IMO be given the chance to run another 100k miles before replacements are evaluated...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Toyota engine should IMO be given the chance to run another 100k miles before replacements are evaluated...
    I agree with SD here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

most project cars usually aren't broke before we start "fixing" them...

if it was me and everything worked including the ac.. I'd leave it alone until I had dough to play with other options. I'm just looking for a car to stuff a ls1 and t56 into though.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the appeal here is a car that used to be the stuff of dreams and now still runs and looks great, but did not cost any money. Adding money lessens the appeal. I'd clean/restore/replace as needed with low-to-no-$ budget in mind and just enjoy the car. It's a great car and a screaming deal.

I have no intention of leaving this car stock or restoring it. I was thinking about doing a LS1 swap but I will have to talk to the guys at my shop to see how much they will charge to fab up some motor mounts. I am leaning more towards the 2JZ swap and I have found the motor mounts for around $200. I have plenty of time to figure all this out while I am getting the car ready.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Weird - just yesterday I was thinking back at how much I used to like those old Supras. It was just a great simple line - sporty and strong. As I remember, the only real downside was that the changes that made it a Supra were minimal and added very little to the performance of the car. That aside, sounds like a great find. Have fun playing with it!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast