Subaru WRX Forum banner

nyr8er's 2011 WRX

18K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 ·
Well, instead of making a new thread for everything i do or buy, i figured i should just put it all in one. I know, original....i'm a trailblazer. I won't re-post the stuff i've already done. It can be found on here if you're really that interested. Anyway, i bought this car brand new on 2/17/2011. I've done and will do everything myself (except tint). I know it's not like i'm rebuilding engines or anything but i take pride in it. It's my first Subaru and i'm in love. The majority of what i've done so far is simple bolt-ons.

MOST RECENT PICS

See less See more
#2 ·
i also just bought the Nameless Performance axle-back exhaust. it's getting powder-coated black with polished tips (staggered). that should be in the mail by friday.

#3 ·
this was from when i put the Kartboy super shift kit in. I cannot recommend this kit enough. It's awesome!

anyone else get army men with theirs?

this is the before picture. i still have to take the after.

#5 · (Edited)
Looking good.Yeah,I got army men both times I ordered from them.It really had my wife confused.She opened the first package with exhaust hangers & found 4 plastic blocks with holes in them & then 2 army men.She was confused as hell!

#11 ·
Dude, it looks like you're taking a picture with a tape casette

btw what is that red line in the middle grill? is it a diy type a deal or you buy it somewhere?
yeah, that's the cover to my iphone. it was a cassette or an old nintendo controller to choose from. the line in the grill is just 1/4" pin striping from advance auto. takes about 10 minutes and 2 tries to get perfect. i have no idea why it's called RA-R though. anybody?

#13 ·
alright, so i put some red Ray's lugs on today. let me know what you guys think. I'm not entirely sure how i feel yet. didn't like the stock ones but these might be too much...may sell em and go for black instead. anyway...

#16 ·
Since your asking, and I'm not looking to offend, but I do not like the lugs. So far you have been putting together a mean but slick looking image, but the red lugs come of as a bit ... "rice". Just my opinion, but I've really liked what you've done so far and would hate to see it go a bad direction IMO, The black lugs would likely look much better, and keep the look intact. :thumbup:

#17 ·
yeah i'm thinking the same thing. i liked the idea of them when i ordered them but when they showed up i was quickly second guessing. i figured i'd have to put em on though just to see.

#18 ·
nyr8er said:
yeah i'm thinking the same thing. i liked the idea of them when i ordered them but when they showed up i was quickly second guessing. i figured i'd have to put em on though just to see.
A local guy has a set of black Rays for sale, but they may be already spoken for. I have to stop over at his house to pick up a downpipe, so I'll ask him about it then.

#20 ·
nyr8er said:
yeah, see if they're still available. I'd be interested used or not.
Brand new. We might be throwing them on Jay's wagon next weekend during the uppipe/turboback install. I think I'm swinging by on Sunday; I'll shoot you a text

#24 ·
yeah, the more i read and talk to people i'm starting to lean towards paint myself. i had 2 different shops tell me they can't do the overlays because the little "corner bulge" that the car has in the lens. any good brand recommendations?

#25 ·
Overall, looking good. I'm with the others on the lugs - too ricey. I see where you're going and all; just be careful not to get OCD on the red highlights.

ps - Judging by how many pics I see of your antenna pushed down, I'm guessing you're not a fan of the remote-controlled car look of the long factory antenna. Here ya go - Perrin Performance - Shorty Antennas (yes, it fits. have it on mine.)

#26 ·
okay, so i got me some red and black spray yesterday (Krylon Stained Glass Red, VHT Nite Shades and Krylon UV-Resistant Clear). i'll be painting the tails up like the bottom picture (above) on saturday. i'll post some pics when i'm done.

i have a fairly good idea of what i'm doing but any recommendations as to prep? i will be taking them off of the car and cleaning the hell out of them. besides that, i plan on tape and spray. i read a few places (mostly older tails) recommend sanding with a minimum of 280. necessary? i don't think so, but that's why i ask.

#28 ·
so, i did the paint on saturday night. came out awesome! couldn't be happier. i taped and painted the red border on first, let that dry and taped over that to darken the reverse light. the taping took some time cause it was pretty hard to get exact. cant really see the curves once you start putting the tape on.

i had a little **** up here. i used leftover wrapping paper on one of the lights and the Night Shades bleed through and stuck to the original red i did. I was so pissed at first, but just lightly scraped it off and then used the LiftOff to get the rest removed along with a tiny bit of the red paint. I just sprayed 2 quick light coats over it and fixed it pretty nicely. If you look really close you can see a little imperfection but overall i'm satisfied.

same light, after the fix.

another angle of the bad one.

thanks for looking. and yes, those pink (supposed to be red) lugs are going ASAP! don't like them at all.

#29 ·
nyr8er said:
thanks for looking. and yes, those pink (supposed to be red) lugs are going ASAP! don't like them at all.
Looks good. The NightShade is subtle, which I like.

No go on the lugs; Jay took them yesterday. It was late when we finally got the install done.

#30 ·
Looks good. The NightShade is subtle, which I like.
thanks, i didn't want to go too dark incase it messed with the brightness of the reverse light.

No go on the lugs; Jay took them yesterday. It was late when we finally got the install done.
no problem, thanks anyway for asking. i'll definitely have to get some black ones (or maybe paint mine). the pink is killing me.

#33 ·
just got home and this was sitting in my living room :D bout time!

only thing was it was supposed to have polished tips. hmm....:confused:

oh well, still excited. i'll be putting it on hopefully tomorrow. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.