new scooby owner... 2011 WRX Limited 5dr in Lighting Red - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on new scooby owner... 2011 WRX Limited 5dr in Lighting Red within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; He's busy driving the crap out of his car right now and can't respond....

He's busy driving the crap out of his car right now and can't respond.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A... you're right, i was busy with her! lol ... anyway, i just had some stuff i needed to do after picking her up so yeah, i was busy driving.

today's shots... i'll be taking more photos once i get used to driving her

saying goodbye to a dear friend...

while waiting for insurance paperwork to be sent to dealer

and some shots in between...

day 1 impressions...

=> there's a significant difference from the stock shifter to the SPT Short-throw. the shifts are notchy but not mushy.
    => finally drove her in my area where i drive mostly. and it's night and day difference from my ms3. the same craters where my ms3 just gets "angry", the wrx drives by smoother and absorbs the roughness a lot better.
    => still playing with the navi unit. will most probably not use the navi a lot, but since all my settings are in the navi unit, that's where it will serve its purpose the most.
    => radio audio is horrendous! haven't tried my iphone yet as i need to buy the RCA adapters for it. will try bluetooth tomorrow
    => noticed the locks on the doors looked like the reverse of my mazda. but looking at it closely, there is a LOCK label on it when it's locked and a red stripe when it's open.
    => replaced all interior lights to LED and interior looks a lot better with it.
    => cabin is quiter than my ms3, so does the exhaust. but i love that drone from the boxer engine.
    => glove box is limited, unlike my ms3 which extends all the way inside.
    => back hurt a bit for not getting the perfect driving position with these seats. one of my ms3's advantages, i wish the rex had lumbar support. i got my ideal position on the 3rd leg of my drive.
    => door jams a lot quiter and stiffer. my ms3's doors feel like they'll break when you slam them hard. the rex doors even when slammed hard felt and sounded so stiff and well-built.
    => noticed the projectors on this car doesn't look cheap like my previous mazda3 (HID). there's a blurpish hue on it similar to luxury makes with lights still looking like daylight.
    => the launches on this car feel a lot smoother than my ms3, it's because of the AWD i guess.
    => drove her twice more than 3K, but less than 3.3K, you can really feel that turbo spooling! stayed below 3K almost all my day 1 drive.
    => handles great! my ms3 handles a bit better on corners but the rex is good enough for me.
    => i love the hill assist. i always use manhattan ave and almost always get stopped at JFK blvd traffic light (for those who are familiar with jersey city) and it's specially helpful on those corners.
    => gotta get used to the clutch, it's sooooo different from manuals i've driven.

anything i missed, i'll just edit my post and add them. kinda tired now from the high i had today. couldn't be much happier now that she's with me.

The shifts were notchy for a few hundred miles, then it smoothed out. It will break in.

To get a USB plug in the armrest you need to add the media hub to NAV cars since NAV cars come with the A/V jacks. This is the only way you'll be able to control the iPhone via the steering wheel/radio. The iPhone can output videos to the NAV display via the A/V jacks though.

I thought the radio was bad too (my wife's 2011 nissan sentra's audio kicks its ass) but you can get it sounding pretty good by using the "Rock" equalizer setting and using Music Surround and Panorama on. Make sure to turn off the subwoofer and center channel in the settings if you dont have them installed.

I noticed that the HID lights tend to jiggle if you hit a bump in the road hard enough. I didn't notice this on my previous car (2001 BMW 540i/6).

You'll hear the turbo more when you go stage 1
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

^^^ i would expect for the shifter to smoothen after the break-in

probably won't get the media hub. i'm fine with my current setup right now. haven't tried it but do you hear static noise when you're charging your iphone and it's plugged in on the A/V jacks? i had the static noise on my ms3 when i plugged it on the audio input while charging on the cigarette lighter.

i guess these HID's are normal on these econo-cars. it's the same with my ms3 and my mazda3. haven't noticed it on the rex though, maybe i'm just so focused on getting used to driving her that's why i didn't notice the HID's. lol

I have the media hub hooked up to an iPod Video so I can't comment on the static noise. I'm gonna start using the iPhone instead of the iPod so I'll have feedback on that soon, but remember I'm using the usb dock cable and media hub.

Quick question for you, do you have all the Sirius channels right now? I had to call them and activate for a month to get all the channels, then it automatically gave me 3 months free and I'm not sure if they've charged me for it. My wife's Sentra just came with all the XM channels for free without having to call.

Also, lemme know if you ever notice the HIDs jiggle, I want to know if it's normal. The bump has to be pretty decent sized though.

i have some channels, i'll probably call them to verify which ones i'm supposed to receive right now.

i would know later or tomorrow early morning. i don't think we'll have an issue with 'decent-sized bumps' in the JC area. lol

Yeah god damn these potholes

day 2

got tints today, 5% rear windows backwards, 20% front. kinda gloomy today so the fronts looked dark but they're actually ok.

more observations

=> noticed the engine ticks louder than other cars i've driven, are those the pistons?
    => the exhaust is so quiet. i don't think i can live with this. i have to get at least an SPT exhaust
    => there's so much road and wind noise in this car compared to my ms3
    => have time to finally assess the interior, i miss the ms3's higher-quality-looking interior. interior plastics looked really cheap
    => i'll probably get the a sub that subaru is offering underneath the driver's seat. the lack of bass is killing my ears!
    => i'm hearing some rattles now and the windshield "tick" that was common on my previous cars (mazda and toyota)
    => still having trouble getting the right position for my back, will probably get lumbar support from autozone or pepboys tomorrow.
    => i can't complain about the suspension, this is exactly what i was looking for. a lot better in absorbing bumps and rumbled roads. finally was able to test it in NYC and it performed great!
    => tried to spool the turbo again today about 3 times. i felt it spool around 2700-3000K rpms and you can really feel the car push ahead fast!
    => tried to tint the tails but i'm really having a hard time with it so i'll just have it tinted by some shop
    => i'm still adjusting to the clutch.
    => overall, i'm just loving my decision in getting a rex. it's an upgrade in a lot of ways from my ms3

A... haven't tried driving in the dark right now. will try later if i finished here in queens with still the sun down

Yeah the engine is loud, it's the nature of boxers. I don't think the sub gonna do much, I would get the trunk one at least or a custom box. BTW the bass is there, turn the volume to 35-37, you'll hear it, I promise. What do you mean by windshield tick?

yeah, getting used to how it's loud. i can't hear my ms3 do this so this is new but i'm actually loving it.

volume 35-37? pretty sure i'll hear it at that volume but that's too loud i guess.

the windshield tick is a fast ticking sound by the windshield cowl. it only happens when it was warm, then cools down significantly like the past few days, then last night and tonight. i'll see if i can hear it later when i drive home. just imagine a ticking time bomb sound but really fast.

A... duplicated the jiggling HID's but it's so unnoticable for me compared to my mazda. i don't know how strong yours jiggle but you might want to take it to the dealer if it's really that strong.

day 3 observations

=> tried several seating positions but to no avail, back is still hurting. bought a $10 lumbar support from walmart, and feels much better
    => also connected the iphone thru a/v plugs and not much difference from fm radio or cd. my ears can't hear bass that much so will definitely get a sub, probably the one underneath the driver's seat as my trunk is almost always full
    => opened her up a bit today. tried to maintain rpms between 2000-3500. heard the boxer engine and exhaust better by doing this but the exhaust is still too quiet for my tastes. will look for something that's a little louder but not too loud (leaning on SPT)
    => shifter is starting to loosen up a bit too and i'm starting to get used to the clutch.
    => the bump/shock absorption of this car is perfect! i'm lovin' the way this car performs on pothole/rumble-rich roads.
    => i'm slowly getting used to the rex that i'm recovering quickly from missing my ms3's precise steering and better handling/cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by zwrxp09 View Post
    A... duplicated the jiggling HID's but it's so unnoticable for me compared to my mazda. i don't know how strong yours jiggle but you might want to take it to the dealer if it's really that strong.
    Cool, yeah it doesn't happen often, only on big bumps. I was just comparing it to my BMW because it never happened on it. I'll mark it down as normal

Love the pics.. didn't think red would be so awesome looking!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast