Subaru WRX Forum banner

My 2011 STI

79K views 270 replies 60 participants last post by  nsibanez 
#1 · (Edited)
I have put in the Perrin short shifter, blue racer Defi boost and oil pressure gauges, and the Greddy turbo timer. And today I had the trunk debadged. I have a boat ton off parts in the garage that I took of my 2008 STI that I am going to put on the new car when it is through the break in. I have a Tomei UEL header and up pipe, Perrin TBE, GrimmSpeed intake spacers, walbro 255 fuel pump, AEM wideband, Perrin EBCS, and I am going to send the turbo to GrimmSpeed for the PnP and ceramic coating.

#13 ·
I'd have welded an EGT bung into the header while it was off the car. Even if you didn't plan to use a gauge at the moment, you could've plugged it for an easy install later.

Either way, the car looks nice :)

#23 ·
sjcurtis said:
Look at the picture of the uppipe it already has one. I will be getting a egt gauge soon so I made sure that the header and uppipe that I got already had one.
EGT should be measured in the manifold, not the uppipe.

#25 ·
Congrats on the new car!

I'm confused exactly what you're doing though. Many of the mods you listed have no place on the car or don't work correctly without a tune. Fuel pump? Headers? Spacers? Why?

#28 ·
I have put in the Perrin short shifter, tue Defi boost and oil pressure gauges, and the Greddy turbo timer. And today I had the trunk debadged. I have a boat ton off parts in the garage that I took of my 2008 STI that I am going to put on the new car when it is through the break in. I have a Tomei UEL header and up pipe, Perrin TBE, GrimmSpeed intake spacers, walbro 255 fuel pump, AEM wideband, Perrin EBCS, and I am going to send the turbo to GrimmSpeed for the PnP and ceramic coating.
Im getting a tune in two weeks. Why would you say that the mods have no place on the car?
Because there's no need for the fuel pump with those mods. I don't understand why you want to run an EBCS when there's more reliable and cheaper setups. The intake spacers aren't really a good early mod. Headers also really aren't necessary. Spending money on the turbo is much better spent elsewhere. Overall, your mod path has a lot of money being spent on things that would better be left alone so you can spend it on much more useful things. But it's your car.

#32 ·
Yeah I forgot that one. :)

Damn my bad I thought that the header would improve spool time, the intake spacers would lower intake temps, and the perrin ebcs was only $100 and it will be tuned as a three port witch will completly block off the wastegate untill it needs to open. What would be a cheaper and more reliable setup? I can't run a manual boost controler because of the SI drive? What would you say is more usefull stuff teflon_jones ?
The headers aren't a restriction with the mods you have, so they're not really going to do anything. The intake is also providing good airflow, though on the 2011 aftermarket intakes do provide a bit better improvement versus previous years. Those spacers aren't really doing anything with the other mods you have. Sell the other parts and put the money towards an AEM intake, then get a tune. With the rest of the money from selling parts, what to do next really depends on your goals. Do you have a heatshield on your turbo by the way, or did you ditch that when you went with the Perrin setup? If you don't have a heatshield, definitely pick one up.

The 2011 suspension is vastly improved over previous years, so there's less need to do sways/endlinks and/or springs/struts. You used to get a huge improvement, but from everything I've heard now, it doesn't make the big impact on your handling that you used to get. However, if you get some Whiteline, Cobb, or similar high quality swaybars and endlinks, it will definitely improve the handling, but at the price of a harsher ride. After that, I'd look at springs/struts.

I'd also consider changing your rotors and pads, but I personally find that hard to justify if they're pretty new. You just don't get much for the stock parts when you sell them. Some slotted rotors and good pads would be a good change to help stop the power better.

And if you're interested in things other than performance parts, I'd get some new speakers/amp/head unit. The stock units are garbage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.