my 2011 first time on ice/snow pics

This is a discussion on my 2011 first time on ice/snow pics within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i was on summer tires on a sheet of ice the size of texas. pure ice!. The snow came on ...

my 2011 first time on ice/snow pics

i was on summer tires on a sheet of ice the size of texas. pure ice!. The snow came on the fourth day and provided 10% grip because it just covered the ice. freak ice storm right before the superbowl. i had to engine brake because brakes were useless the abs system would just make a terrible noise so i neverstopped i just ran red lights (power was out so most lights were not working anyways) lol. i could drift at 2g rpm in second gear it was stoopid fun i was the only car on the road. the ice was so slick that i put the e brake up after backing out the garage... went inside to grab my coffee and when i came outside the car had slid down the driveway and was sitting sidways in the street i shiat you not! i was in jumping for joy cause the rex thankfully hit nothing. i had to get a head start just to get up the incline back into the garage even with the awd and tractioncontol the tires would just spin unless the car was in motion already. to stop i would engine brake to the point of going 5mph and then pull the e brake slowly to stop.

the first pic was taken the day before the storm. i had rally armor flaps ordered but becuase of the ice they showed up after the superbowl when the ice all melted

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hope you're not going to do that again. Great way to crash your car or hit somebody else.

Get some snow tires.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

thanks for the tip! even snow tires would be useless on ice but i see your point. i had no chioice i had to get to work so i could pay for my nice car. and i would only play in parking lots i didnt exceed 20 mph that whole storm on the roads. I was more worried about other people slamming into me so i drove really defensive and just stayed away from all of humanity on the roads and stuck to back roads. it was nerve racking but i carpooled the entire office back and forth from work to home lol. Was awsome i would do it again!!!!!!! the wrx is a champ even with summer tires!

Nice pics.

but the summer tires are worthless in snow. all they can do is help you slide and crash.

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand his dilemma.I assume he lives in Texas and it might snow once in a decade & he has to lay down a grand for snow tires?Dude, just get a set of used snow tires & steelies.And please don't think that bcoz you have 4wd you are invincible on snow or ice.It will get you going and handle somewhat but when it comes to stopping on summer tires all you can do is pray.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

^ i know this did you read my story i could not stop at all. I have a set of wheels for track days but i didnt have snow tires on em so i was stuck like chuck with summer tires. i was far from invincible i almost ended up in a ditch a few times but like i said i had no choice but to take out my car i had to open up shop my employees showed up to work so i had to open the doors. If i had my choice in the matter i would have left my pretty freshly detailed wrx in the garage and sat by the fire all day but that was not the case. I KNOW PEOPLE SUMMER TIRES AND AWD CARS ARE NOT INVIncIBLE TO LOOSING TRACTION i was very very luck but if you know how to engine brake and keep it under 20mph u can do IT!!!!!!!! i never left second gear nore did i even touch the brake one time. REAd my story please! ALso i lowed my air pressure to 25 psi which was all i could do with what i had.