Few pics of my new 02 wrx!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Few pics of my new 02 wrx!!!! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; [/IMG][IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG]...

Few pics of my new 02 wrx!!!!

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by nattywrx; 07-05-2012 at 04:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome looks good. Similar to mine
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

nice

welcome and looks nice how mine used to look 5 yrs ago when i got mine, looks nothing like that now like

Thanks guys! I'm loving the car! Best decision I ever made

Nice, classic (wow, have they been around that long??) looking bugeye. I'd say the only thing you need to do is paint your sideskirts and clean your headlights as they are yellow'd. Happy modding.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Hey guys, it's been a looong time since I first got the car, at least it feels that way.

Anyways, figured I'd share with everyone what I have done so far and how everything is coming along.

I've done many mods since I first purchased the car, I have learned more then I would have ever even thought I would learn through nasioc and clubwrx and a few other forums. When I first got the car, I was asking things such as are these tranny's weak? Just a bunch of newbie questions. Prior to owning this car I had very little mechanical knowledge. Now I pretty much do everything on my own. Swapping turbos, installing coilovers, installing a new clutch, etc.

Many friends have helped me out getting the car to where it is today along with meeting tons of new friends through the subaru community.

The car was bone stock when I first got it. The first thing I did was catch up on all maintenance. Replaced the clutch, all the fluids, tranny, diff, etc. Put some fresh Rotella T6 in and have been using that since the day I got the car.

I then ended up going pretty much full bolt ons and flashed a tune with a version 1 accessport that I bought off nasioc. That was fun for a bit but I got used to the power really quickly and hated how the td04 just fell on it's face after 5k rpms. So I decided to upgrade from the stock BCS and get a grimmspeed 3 port EBCS and get protuned by Sti Mikey aka phatbotti tuning!!

I ended up getting rid of the accessport and getting an open-source tune from mikey. I also threw on an AEM CAI right before the tune. However when getting tuned I was leaning out at WOT. Mikey said that I needed to get a new fuel pump, a Walbro 255 preferably so we can finish up the tune. So I sourced a 255 from a local dealer, installed it the next day, and mikey finished dialing in the map. I probably picked up about 15-20whp or so from the protune. Here is a pic of the car before being protuned for the first time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I enjoyed that for a few months, but of course sooner or later I knew I was going to get used to the power pretty quickly. Having the td04 spooling at around 19psi for a little was fun, but it was just falling flat on it's face after 5krpms. That's just the nature of the small turbo.

That being said, one day I decided to just start unbolting everything. Took off my downpipe, took out the td04, left my car sitting in the garage for a few days as I sourced a new turbo!

Now, I was thinking just do the next upgrade, which would be a vf39/43 with pinks and a sti top mount, but then I thought well I'm going to have to pay for a retune anyways, and I knew how much mikey(my tuner) loved e85 and how he always talked about it and also from seeing all the power gains on forums. So I figured what the heck, I'll just go e85. I contacted Mikey about what I wanted to do with the car, and he told me to pick up a used vf39 off the forums, get 850cc injectors and we would be good to go!

I found a vf39 locally. I made a wtb thread on nasioc and got contacted by someone about 2 hours away from me. He said he had a bunch of parts, one being the vf39 with super low miles and no shaft play. =) He agreed to meet up with me halfway. So I drove up north with $350 in my pocket to spend on the turbo. I'm waiting for the guy to show up, and he finally does, pops his trunk open and the whole trunk is just filled with goodies and sti parts.

First he shows me the turbo which appeared to be in great shape. I knew I was taking it home with me. The turbo had 40k miles on it and was pulled from his sti when he went bigger turbo. Keep in mind I only had 350 to spend, but before I could even say anything, he showed me his sti cluster that he had. He also showed me his stock exhaust manifolds that were also pulled from his sti. So I figured what the heck, why not offer him 350 for everything. Sure enough, he was more then happy with the offer and he sold me everything!!

I had no idea what the sti cluster was worth until I later looked up the value of it. The guy really hooked me up. I also ended up buying a very nice low mileage sti intercooler from a member off nasioc. Here is a picture of the 3 parts when I first got them.

After installing the vf39 successfully, my stock turbo inlet hose broke. At the time, I was on a limited budget and could not afford a higher quality one such as a samco or perrin, so I had to settle for inlet hose off ebay. Can't remember the brand name, might have been obx, but it was blue and was 3 ply. Install was a PITA and the fitment wasn't that great but it did the trick....for now at least. Here is a pic of the vf39 bolted on.

Next, I ended up buying DW850cc injectors off another member through nasioc. They were brand new and I received a flow sheet with them. One of my fellow buddies who owns a built sti and is an amazing mechanic especially when it comes to subarus swapped out the injectors in less then 30 minutes. To this day I am still amazed at how fast he did that. So with the injectors in, turbo bolted down, intercooler installed and inlet, everything was coming together. I did all the rest of the work myself, besides the injectors.

Here is the car sitting in the garage with everything installed so far waiting for mikey to come back and tune it!! Mikey would be flying down in a few days to tune the car.

Mikey came to my house, flashed a base map on to the car, got the car running and off we went to tune it! We first had to get the injectors dialed in on pump gas. After doing a few pulls and map revisions, the car started to feel pretty nice on 93!! We slowly started to add a little bit of E85 in when the 93 was nearly empty and mikey continued working on the map. Sure enough the E85 slowly started to kick in as the car slowly started to lean out. After burning off some more of the mixture, we decided to go and fill the entire car up on e85. Mikey continued working on the tune. About another hour into the tuning process we headed to the highway, out of nowhere mikey did a 2nd gear pull on the on-ramp when I was completely not expecting it. I had the biggest grin on my face. He looked over at me and said have you ever felt you car pull that hard before? I'm like F**K NO!!! Mikey finished up the tune and left. He Airboyed me at about 330whp.

At this power level I was quite satisfied. I decided to enjoy the setup and wait til the motor or tranny blew and then I would upgrade accordingly, build the motor, or swap the tranny...PPG's, or STI tranny..

I ended running into a few problems after. Nothing major though. I ended up changing my valve cover gaskets and moon seals a 2nd time since they were leaking, I went up to orlando for a road trip and on the way back the car was overheating. Changed the oil return line since the original one was dry rotted. Ended up towing it home, changed the thermostat and did a coolant flush and all was good! My radiator hose ended up popping off and that was the cause of the car overheating. Besides that the car has been nothing but a joy. Besides the regular oil changes and maintenance you would suspect from a 10 year old car.

Here is the car getting a new thermostat and coolant flush.

Changing out the Oil return line and swapping out the wrx A/C lines to sti A/C lines. Wrx lines were rubbing on the sti tmic and caused the freon to leak.

Last edited by nattywrx; 07-05-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Everything had been going smooth with the car, until the vf39 decided to crap out on me. So after thinking about whether I should buy another used vf39 or new one, I decided to just get a new turbo so I won't end up having to deal with a used turbo. I ended up selling the blown turbo to a member on nasioc, who actually rebuilt it a few months ago and bolted it on to his baja! He told me that the turbo has been great so far.

I spoke to mikey, and I decided on the Blouch 16G-XT. It flows about 41lbs per minute, and he told me I would probably pick up another 15-20 wheel with the turbo. So I bought the turbo, installed it. While I was waiting for the Blouch to arrive, I decided to throw on some stickers on the car!

I also sourced a oem wingless trunk, and had a buddy who lived out in california ship me one. I somehow managed to install it myself, don't even know how I managed to do that.

Once the turbo was installed, I decided to throw on a AEM wideband gauge. I also got rid of the ebay inlet and replaced it with a perrin inlet. I started the car back up and drove it around to make sure all was good. I ended up meeting up with mikey again, but this time drove to the west coast of florida to meet up with him at Import Image Racing. Here is a pic of the car waiting to get tuned with the 16G.

The car got tuned and mikey predicted around 350whp give or take. I was really pleased with the 16G-XT. It seemed to fill in where the vf39 sort of lacked up top, it pulls all the way through until redline where as the 39 sort of did but kind of dropped a little up topped. Full boost was 23psi dropping to about 20ish at redline.

I ended up getting hit in the parking lot. Someone nailed my bumper and left a nice long scratch and dent. I figured it might be cheaper to find a used wrb bumper then get mine fixed. Sure enough, I found someone on the west coast of florida that had one in great condition, and only wanted 40 bucks for it. So I drove to the west coast, picked up the bumper, somehow managed to fit it inside my car and drove back home. Here is the car with the bumper getting replaced.

After a month or so, I noticed the car was kind of lagging a bit in between shifts. I talked to mikey about the problem and he suggested that I go hybrid with the boost controllers. I was already running a 3 Port ebcs, so I bought a grimmspeed MBC and rigged it up with the EBCS. Mikey came back down and touched up the tune for me. Spool is wicked fast now and lag is kept to a minimum. I also removed the oem triple gauge pod that came in the car with the puny guages and replaced the gauges with some prosports. Boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT.

I then saved up and decided that I wanted to get rid of my stock suspension and get some new wheels and tires. Ended up getting BC Coilovers and Rota Torques and some fresh new tires. Federal 595's to be exact.

I installed the coils and wheels, picked up a roof rack and here is how the car sits now!!

I'm still leaving out a ton of little things that I did here and there but I tried to be as thorough as I could be! I thought it would be cool to see how a car has slowly transformed over the year.

Future plans would be to build the motor, possibly do a hybrid setup or swap in a ej207 and sti tranny. We shall see. For now I am enjoying the car as much as I possibly can. I haven't driven it in about 3 weeks now since

1. I tore my ACL

2. I'm currently in Chile visiting my family and meeting girls.

I'm going to have to get surgery when I get back to the states which is in another 4 weeks, but oh well, I'll eventually be back in the suby and driving.

Mods could you move this to the build thread? I am going to be updating the progress of my car from now on. Thanks.

when i first viewed the thread i was like oh nice another bugeye yay , then started reading and was impressed by the mods list, then by the end of the thread i saw a super sexy bugeye. keep up the good work, love the white rims with wrb

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    when i first viewed the thread i was like oh nice another bugeye yay , then started reading and was impressed by the mods list, then by the end of the thread i saw a super sexy bugeye. keep up the good work, love the white rims with wrb
    Thanks man!! For sure and appreciate the compliment!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    sti mikey tuned my car too! such a great guy. very knowledgeable. the local shop here brings him in town once in a while and organizes a big group tuning day/bbq.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    sti mikey tuned my car too! such a great guy. very knowledgeable. the local shop here brings him in town once in a while and organizes a big group tuning day/bbq.
    Yeah mikey is the man! Hes been my tuner since day one. Only guy I trust with my car. I see that your located in orlando... So I'm assuming your talking about Rev Works right? Mikey is coming there sometime in mid august I'm pretty sure. I'll be heading there with my buddy since he'll be getting retuned by mikey.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup. rev works is the shop. see ya next month!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast