Trying my hand @ HDR. Input please!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trying my hand @ HDR. Input please! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I posted this over on Nasioc too but figured I would try here too. Here are a few that I ...

Trying my hand @ HDR. Input please!

I posted this over on Nasioc too but figured I would try here too.

Here are a few that I took at the dealership I work for. Yes, the Bugeye is mine.

Next are a few of just my car. They didn't turn out as good as I was hoping.

Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice! Cars can make for interesting HDR targets.
    This is from about 3 years ago, a Buick that I was passing every day on the way home. I went a little nutty with the tone mapping...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Thanks Ray! I love that photo of the Buick. That's kind of what I was doing with the second photo. Any advice on how to make my images better? Is HDR more effective in daytime shots as opposed to night? What programs do you use?

I Support ClubWRX
    At the time I was using Photomatix. I haven't done much with HDR in a long time. Seems like a lot of it was hit and miss...some pics would lend themselves to it, and others not so much.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Thats what I am using as well. I'm gonna try some day shots and see what happens.

Hi, I do some HDR photography as well. Nighttime shots can be a bit difficult and you will get the best results at sunrise or sunset. Having some drama in the weather always helps as well. These are really good ideas with any photography but enhanced with HDR for sure.

Couple of ones I have done:

I usually take my images through 3 programs. Photomatix to do the initial tonemapping and get the "base" image. Then I bring it into GIMP (or Photoshop) and I will then fine tune the image. I will often raise the contrast of the whole image or just certain areas, use an unsharp mask and if necessary clone out imperfections. A cool trick is to take two of the same photo and stack them as layers. Go a little over the top with one of them with contrast, sharpening and such, and then use the opacity slider of the layer control to blend one with the other. Then you can more easily find the sweet spot.

I'll then finish them in Aperture (or Lightroom) and adjust white balance and exposure as necessary and add a border or filter if I feel funky.

When I shoot HDR I typically think of it more as painting a picture then taking a photograph. Going for sort of an idealistic representation or ultra-realism vs showing it as it is.

Both ways are fun, HDR is definitely requires finesse to get it to look good but the results are pretty fun.

Good luck!
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

IMO i think to get the best effect out of an HDR picture, you have to have the majority of the image filled with detail. When you get big areas of one flat color(examples: the sky being black and the street being a big gray spot) it takes away from all the detail of the image that your trying to pull out.

Again, that's my preference. everyone likes different stuff.

The pics look awesome though!!

I'm still yet to actually try this, just a point of view from a viewer and fellow image editor
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

Thanks for the tips guys. Here are a few quick ones I did just to test day vs night. I am going with my buddy in a little while to get some shots of his xB so I will post them up later. But here are a few to hold you over. LOL

This one blurred a little because I was trying to get 5 exposure levels so I switched AEB settings after the first 3 shots.

Last edited by loren83; 09-02-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Resized photos.

they look amazing!! i really want to try this now!! i just have no clue how haha again i haven't personally done these yet, but maybe try and figure how you can get the clouds to contrast more. make the sky POP in the background
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

Thanks speed! Go for it man, it's actually quite fun messing with the settings.

Here's the next batch!

Those all look awesome!! the thing is....i don't have any clue how to do these haha do you take 4 or five different shots with different exposure settings or what?? i tried to read on it but the tutorials i read were confusing

i wanna go outside and try and shoot some right now if i can
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

First off Speed, what kind of camera are you shooting with? If it's a point and shoot it may not be possible. If it's a DSLR you have to find the AEB settings and change them to (+2,0,-2). On my Canon Rebel it's done by first putting the camera on P mode and verify that you are set for continuous shooting. Then press the menu button. Arrow right to the icon of the camera with 2 diamonds next to it. Highlight AEB and press SET. Press right until the -2,0,+2 are underlined and then press the shutter button. Set the camera on a stable tripod and adjust the angle and distance to your liking. When you are ready, press and hold the shutter button until all 3 shots are taken. This is much easier with a remote shutter because there will be no camera shake. Hope that helps. Remember, I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
    First off Speed, what kind of camera are you shooting with? If it's a point and shoot it may not be possible. If it's a DSLR you have to find the AEB settings and change them to (+2,0,-2). On my Canon Rebel it's done by first putting the camera on P mode and verify that you are set for continuous shooting. Then press the menu button. Arrow right to the icon of the camera with 2 diamonds next to it. Highlight AEB and press SET. Press right until the -2,0,+2 are underlined and then press the shutter button. Set the camera on a stable tripod and adjust the angle and distance to your liking. When you are ready, press and hold the shutter button until all 3 shots are taken. This is much easier with a remote shutter because there will be no camera shake. Hope that helps. Remember, I'm no expert.
    thanks that helps a lot! i have a nikon D60. i just have to try and find this setting your talking about lol
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

so i just researched it and my camera doesn't have AEB lol but what it said to do for HDR is to set it to (M) manual and take different shots with different shutter speeds. so i guess i'll see how it goes hoping it works cause your pics are awesome and i want some now haha
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

Just did a quick check online and it appears that the D60 does not support AEB. I can only speak for my camera because I'm just an amateur myself. You might ask RayfieldsWRX or one of the other pro's around here, and see if they are more familiar with your camera in particular. Sorry and good luck.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently we were doing the same thing and you beat me to the post. LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.