Trying my hand @ HDR. Input please! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Trying my hand @ HDR. Input please! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i finally figured out how i could make it work. this photo is really crappy cause it was to ...

so i finally figured out how i could make it work. this photo is really crappy cause it was to dark out by the time i got the photos taken. and there were no street lights close enough. but here's the 1st attempt. oh and it's a little blurry because my focus was off.

2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh and by the way...i can see you and your buddy in your car reflections lol
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    My advice...learn how to take proper photos first...worry about HDR later. Your photos don't even have a high dynamic range to begin with, so a proper HDR isn't even necessary. Thus, the end result is that the photos have halos and plasticy effects to them rather than being complimentary to already well-done photos, such as the ones that Syncharmony posted.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Ouch Armin. Thanks for the advise I guess. I know that a few of the photos have halos but that's because I went way overboard with the tone mapping. I could have made them without the halos but my friend and I wanted them that way. Now, that's not saying that I am an excellent photographer and that the photos were the greatest to begin with, but IMO they weren't "bad" photos so I decided to use them. I am still trying to learn all of the different settings on my DSLR, and I'm sure it will take a while, but I have to experiment or I won't learn it at all. Anyways, thanks for the honesty and any advice you have to offer will be gladly accepted.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
    Ouch Armin. Thanks for the advise I guess. I know that a few of the photos have halos but that's because I went way overboard with the tone mapping. I could have made them without the halos but my friend and I wanted them that way. Now, that's not saying that I am an excellent photographer and that the photos were the greatest to begin with, but IMO they weren't "bad" photos so I decided to use them. I am still trying to learn all of the different settings on my DSLR, and I'm sure it will take a while, but I have to experiment or I won't learn it at all. Anyways, thanks for the honesty and any advice you have to offer will be gladly accepted.
    Please don't try to take it personally, because I would say the same thing to 99% of beginning photographers out there. Going straight into HDRs now is like using a bunch of filters in Photoshop to mess around or trying to enter a Street Fighter tournament before you've mastered doing a Dragon Punch. It's really more important to get the basics down first before you start going into more advanced techniques.

The most fundamental thing that's important to understand about HDR photography is simply what "HDR" means and why it's necessary. "High Dynamic Range" means that there's a huge range between very bright and very dark that even your eyes can't adjust to see all the details. A prime example of this would be a sunset on a rocky beach...the sun is obviously extremely bright, which means that the rocks casts dark shadows where you can't see stuff. In this situation, the HDR would be able to capture the sun properly, yet still allow us to see all the shadow detail. This is something that most people (and by most, I mean 90%+) don't ever grasp.

There's one photographer on NASIOC who first started asking me for advice and he was HDRing every single photo. He did them very well, but I kept suggesting to him that he should just get down to basics for composition and exposure first, and then get more versed in RAW editing. It took him a number of months to finally start doing it, and now not only are his regular photos fantastic, but his HDR photos are almost night and day better than when he first started posting.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Thanks Armin. I wasn't taking it personal. My very first statement was just a joke. I have seen your work and it is phenomenal. I appreciate any advice and constructive criticism I can get. I will work on the composition of my photos before jumping too far ahead. Granted I will still throw them into photomatix and toy around with them from time to time. Thanks for the advice and if I will give your sticky thread a thorough reading to try to get some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    well-done photos, such as the ones that Syncharmony posted.
    Thank you for the compliment.

Loren,

I think you are pretty close and just need more practice with the tools. That photo with the WRX in the grass with the sunny sky and power lines behind it was really nice. You hit the right spot between realism and romanticism.

Here's a tip that I learned through my HDR trial and errors. I am going to assume you are using a DSLR or some camera that allows you to check your exposure levels in graph form after a shot. If you don't, then you can check in post-production.

Make sure you get perfect bookend exposures. By bookends I mean the exposures that are the lightest and darkest of what you take. So if you take 3 shots, your first and last shot most likely. And when I say perfect, I mean that the lightest exposure should have absolutely no clipping on the dark end and the darkest should have no clipping at all in the light end.

Depending on how drastically far away those exposures are from one another should determine how many photos you take. So for instance if you are shooting a scene with relatively low dynamic range (little difference between the brightest and darkest parts of the image) then you will probably only need 2 or 3 exposures. If you are shooting a situation with very high dynamic range like into a sunset, then you may need 5 or 7 exposures.

Now, even though I may take 5 or 7 exposures doesn't mean that I will necessarily use them all. Especially if it's windy or movement in the picture, I will cherry pick the best of the bunch and try and make it work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

There is a lot of trial and error to get images that sing. I will sometimes think I've found the PERFECT time and place for a great HDR photo and end up not liking the results or going with a normally exposed photo instead. Other times I'll shoot something on a whim and it comes out awesome.

Like this photo, it was lightly raining, I thought it was gonna suck, I barely set up for it but something told me just to do it and the end result is one of my personal favorites.

Practice practice practice and you will learn when you need to dial it up for a photo or when it's better to be very subtle with your HDR application. Watch out for halos, ghosts and bears.

Check out http://stuckincustoms.com for some HDR tutorials, pics and such. He's the man!
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

Thanks sync for all of the input! I will give some of that a try and see what I can do. I had a lot of people with me to day so I was a bit rushed and only got to try a few shots. Here's a couple. Let me know what you think. BTW, I have the originals as well if someone would like to show me how Photomatix should be used. LOL!

Finished a few more.

Awesome!!
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

took a bunch more pics this weekend and thought i'd share with ya one of my new ones

1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

Speed, that's f***ing awesome. I wish I had scenery like that around here. Here's a few more of my WRX and my buddy's xB.

beautimous again!! and ya there's all kinds of scenery around here. you name it i can find it haha what software do you use by the way?
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

I am just using Photomatix for now. I have CS4 but I am not real good at using it. I just don't have the time to learn everything I would like to learn. Oh well, little by little I will get there.

oh ok, i haven't bought any software yet. i need to though, because all i'm using are a couple free download programs. they work for now though
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.