Photographer's advice on this image...

This is a discussion on Photographer's advice on this image... within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'd like some input on the following image from anyone knowledgeable in photo editing whether it's in RAW or Photoshop, ...

I Support ClubWRX

Photographer's advice on this image...

I'd like some input on the following image from anyone knowledgeable in photo editing whether it's in RAW or Photoshop, etc. I really like the photo because it's a more candid (less posed) shot of my wife and I feel it belongs in a frame in our house. It holds significance as part of our honeymoon as well.

I started working with the image in Camera RAW for white balance, color correction, bringing back the building in the background and coloring it, and bringing the exposure of the subject up about a step.

Then I brought it into Photoshop to work on some of the more intricate corrections like removing the hair from her face and reducing the glare on the glasses. All in all it could probably use a little more photoshop magic but this is the very first image I've put a lot of time in to make it a "wall-hanger"

That all being said, if there are any other photoshop techniques or corrections you'd recommend I'd gladly accept any constructive criticism. I'm working with a Nikon D80 so I don't think I can achieve nearly the quality that some of you with pro DSLRs can get but any advice to make the image perfect would be great. Thanks!

Here's the original file converted RAW>JPEG

Here's the edited file converted RAW>JPEG

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ying, very nice job pshop mate

my only gripe would be the subject is off centre to the right too much
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say you did a pretty good job! I personally like a bit more saturation, so I probably would've bumped that up little more. The flash on your wife is also a bit harsh, so I would tone down the exposure on here a little bit. Also double check the horizon to see if it's level...it seems a bit too high on the left to me. One additional thing I would also try to do is maybe chop out the leaves that are extending down to her head. That's definitely a lot more work, but for me personally, I think it would look better.

I also think your wife is a bit too far to the right side of the frame (not following rule of thirds), but your question was more about the edit than the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    I'm working with a Nikon D80 so I don't think I can achieve nearly the quality that some of you with pro DSLRs can get
    Hogwash I started doing magazine photos with my Nikon D70...your D80 is more than capable of producing excellent photos. An couple examples from my D70:

Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Ying, very nice job pshop mate

my only gripe would be the subject is off centre to the right too much
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I'd say you did a pretty good job! I personally like a bit more saturation, so I probably would've bumped that up little more. The flash on your wife is also a bit harsh, so I would tone down the exposure on here a little bit. Also double check the horizon to see if it's level...it seems a bit too high on the left to me. One additional thing I would also try to do is maybe chop out the leaves that are extending down to her head. That's definitely a lot more work, but for me personally, I think it would look better.

I also think your wife is a bit too far to the right side of the frame (not following rule of thirds), but your question was more about the edit than the composition.
    Thanks guys. I agree she's a bit far off to the right but unfortunately there's not much I can do about that now.

Armin, all good suggestions, one of which I didn't even think about...the horizon. I'll work again with saturation and see what I can do. Do you usually adjust saturation by color or the image as a whole?

Re: Exposure, I actually had much less on my first time around and for some reason I thought she looked a little underexposed having used a flash on her...but that must just be my screen. That I can also fix in Camera RAW since I used the adjustment brush. The bummer is I don't think I used a layer in PS to make the physical corrections like hair, flash glare, etc. so I'll have to start that over. The tree behind her is really going to test my PS skills as I had a tough enough time getting that hair out of her face, haha. Any tips on the best way to go about that? Try the patch tool using the open part of the sky or work with the healing brush?

Again, thanks for the advice guys. I'm still way novice. I've got about 10 various-sized frames in my house from the wedding that are begging for original photos so this is just the beginning.
    Last edited by Ying; 07-30-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Thanks guys. I agree she's a bit far off to the right but unfortunately there's not much I can do about that now.

Armin, all good suggestions, one of which I didn't even think about...the horizon. I'll work again with saturation and see what I can do. Do you usually adjust saturation by color or the image as a whole?

Re: Exposure, I actually had much less on my first time around and for some reason I thought she looked a little underexposed having used a flash on her...but that must just be my screen. That I can also fix in Camera RAW since I used the adjustment brush. The bummer is I don't think I used a layer in PS to make the physical corrections like hair, flash glare, etc. so I'll have to start that over. The tree behind her is really going to test my PS skills as I had a tough enough time getting that hair out of her face, haha. Any tips on the best way to go about that? Try the patch tool using the open part of the sky or work with the healing brush?

Again, thanks for the advice guys. I'm still way novice. I've got about 10 various-sized frames in my house from the wedding that are begging for original photos so this is just the beginning.
    As far as saturation goes, I start with bumping up the overall saturation, and then adjust separate color saturation accordingly. Most cameras have problems capturing red, orange, and yellow for example (typically oversaturating them) so those are the colors I take a look at first.

Regarding chopping out the tree branch, what version of PS are you using? If you're using CS5, the content-aware fill might work decently to start, but then I'd use the clone stamp tool after that. If not CS5, it's your good old friendly clone stamp tool that'll do everything. The healing brush isn't necessarily going to work well.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ying,
    heres a quick pshop i did from the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails testing_1.jpg  
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    even just flipping the image horizontally helps the "eyes" / perspective better

ala:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test-2.jpg  
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Ying,
    heres a quick pshop i did from the pic
    Wow, I still have a long way to go in PS. I like the wall she's on though so I'll see if I can move her in a bit.

Armin, I've got CS4 so unfortunately no content-aware capabilities. I'd love to have it but it's not in the budget this year. I'll give a shot with the clone stamp and see what happens.
    Last edited by Ying; 07-30-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i only have CS3 , anyway how about this :
    kept the wall , i know its squarish style but we could crop to make a vertical print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test3.jpg  
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, subject exposure down, contrast up (too much?), tree is gone. Still have to work out the horizon slightly and move the wife around.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    looking nice
    "All We'll Drive"

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty good! There's a bit of fuzziness from the cloning on her hair though, particularly on the right side.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Pretty good! There's a bit of fuzziness from the cloning on her hair though, particularly on the right side.
    Good call. Thanks again, guys.